The Carlos Quentin Activated from DL

CSF

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 12:32 PM)
I agree. With Q needing to take it easy on the foot, and Pods a less than stellar CF, Anderson would have been a nice defensive replacement nearly every game. Anderson is just getting some AB's before they trade him now. Good luck to Wise. Hope Wise shuts us up.

Who is Ozzie more likely to use as a defensive replacement, Anderson or Wise?

This probably keeps Quentin healthier.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:16 PM)
Didn't Wise already get DFA'd once earlier this year and make it through waivers? There is no demand for him among any other teams, so the options excuse doesn't hold much water.

He should be GFO'd not just DFA'd. This is a decision that cannot be explained

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)
Anderson had his chance to hit in June. He didn't. Even I'm not going to bother caring about this decision.

Q!!!!!!!!

Every roster spot is important. Luckily, we're an AL team, so a bench spot among the position players isn't nearly as important, but it's still important. There is going to be a game (or two) where we put Wise in as a defensive replacment in CF, and he doesn't get to a ball that Anderson would have got to, and we lose because of it. And as we all saw last year, every game counts.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)
Anderson had his chance to hit in June. He didn't. Even I'm not going to bother caring about this decision.

Who cares about Anderson's hitting? Wise can't hit either and has actually hit worse than Anderson. The question is defense. They both suck at hitting, and I wouldn't want either one coming in to pinch hit for anyone except maybe each other. But who would yo rather see coming in as a defensive replacement for Q every night, Anderson or Wise?

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:10 PM)
Wise? Anderson? What's the diff if Quentin, Podsednik, and Dye are playing everyday? Not really a big story here, in my opinion.

Defense for late in games when we need a competent defender in the outfield.

Remember that time that Floyd had a no-hitter, but it was screwed up because a great defender sat on the bench for no good reason? Expect plenty of crappy defense out there late in games.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:49 PM)
Who cares about Anderson's hitting? Wise can't hit either and has actually hit worse than Anderson. The question is defense. They both suck at hitting, and I wouldn't want either one coming in to pinch hit for anyone except maybe each other. But who would yo rather see coming in as a defensive replacement for Q every night, Anderson or Wise?

Couple of other factors to consider are stealing a base and bunting. I know Wise is better at stealing but they both pretty much sucked at bunting.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
To pinch hit for whom? Great, so we keep a sub .200 hitting crappy fielder around to possibly pinch hit for Nix or Fields on the rare occasions that they're playing?

At this point with Q back how often were you expecting Wise/BA to be getting ABs where it ultimately mattered in the grand scheme of things?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:47 PM)
They probably just wanted a left handed pinch hitter over a right handed pinch hitter.

If Anderson or Wise is pinch hitting, it's going to result in an out anyways. Anderson is a better defender, which is the only realy use that roster spot has anyways since you're going to see a lot of Pods moving to left and a defensive replacement moving into center to keep Q fresh later in games. Wise is marginally better as a pinch runner (which is really not important), and it's not by a big margin anyways. That's about it.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
To pinch hit for whom? Great, so we keep a sub .200 hitting crappy fielder around to possibly pinch hit for Nix or Fields on the rare occasions that they're playing?

HA HA :lolhitting

Obviously Wise hit his single homer of the year at the perfect time.

And to those who keep saying that it doesn't matter, as it's just the 4th outfielder, remember that this division is extremely tight. The season may be decided by a single game. We need to be able to put a good defender out there to help keep a lead. Anderson isn't a good player overall, but he's a damn good defender. Dewayne Wise does absolutely nothing.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
At this point with Q back how often were you expecting Wise/BA to be getting ABs where it ultimately mattered in the grand scheme of things?

Almost never, which is my point. You keep the weak hitting above average defender over the even weaker hitting below average defender. There is absolutely no reason to keep Wise over BA at this point. None.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:57 PM)
I look forward to reading this thread after 2 hours. It will probably have 45 pages of Wise bashing with 3 or 4 comments mentioning the return of Quentin.

On a brighter note...

TCQ IS BACK!!!

I look forward to reading this thread after 2 hours. It will probably have 45 pages of Wise bashing with 3 or 4 comments mentioning the return of Quentin.

As I said, we knew Q was coming back, that's no surprise. In retrospect, since Ozzie sometimes ignores actual performance and what guys can do in place of his ego and personal agendas, we shouldn't be surprised Wise is still around and BA is gone either. But some of us had hope that this team might actually make the correct decision. Unfortunately, that was false hope.

I just hope that Quentin's foot doesn't bother him to the extent that it robs him of his power. Otherwise he will be a base clogging singles hitter, which is still an improvement over BA/Wise in the lineup.

I'm guessing Ozzie and KW kept Wise over BA because DFAing Wise would have left them with no left-handed bat on the bench, even though Wise is a LH MLB hitter only in the sense that he stands in the LH batter's box, not that he actually is likely to produce.

Not that I agree in this case, but it's pretty clear from some of the people that have hung around on the roster in the past that KW and Ozzie believe it's imperative to have that LH-hitting OF on the bench.

Speaking of which, Timo Perez is currently hitting .316 in the Mexican League. Feeling desperate yet? :)

I guess Ive never seen why Anderson has gotten so much love on this board.

He had opportunities, Im not about to cry over a player who hit .200 so far in July. Sure he may be a better defender than Wise, but its not such a disservice that it deserves this much attention.

Anderson had a chance to earn his role, he didnt.

That leaves it up to the manager to decide, and Ozzie made his choice.