Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

In the "sure to make waves" department, Florida head coach Urban Meyer was quoted today as criticizing the atmosphere around the Gators' football program under the previous coach, namely current Illini head man Ron Zook. Meyer told David Jones of Florida Today about inheriting an "unbelievable" situation where "you don't win many games, but you beat up freshmen", and went into a great amount of detail about the way underclassmen were treated in the locker room.

While Zook probably wasn't on great terms with his former employer anyway after first getting fired, then convincing wideout Jarred Fayson to transfer to Illinois, Meyer's latest comments are sure to take the Florida/Illinois and Big Ten/SEC rivalries to a whole different level.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/first-and-...ytime-soon.html

Here's the article in USAToday. I'm surprised Zook took such a high road.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/foo...ng-regime_N.htm

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure seems like every time a new coach is hired after a firing the PR machine goes into effect in regards to how bad the previous coach was. It may seem subtle, but it's really not. The timing is unusual now, but I don't think this type of talk is all that uncommon. It's always about "changing the atmosphere."

Zook had zero control of the Florida program while head coach. The guy showed up at a frat house with players to pick a fight, who does that? But Urb shouldnt have said this to a newspaper since Urb's players have been running wild on the streets of Gainesville too. Maybe Meyer shouldve said this about 5 years ago instead of now. Doesnt surprise me that he did because he comes across like a major dick.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 22, 2009 -> 04:57 AM)
Urban Meyer is a b****. Miami and FSU need to get back on top so Florida can't dominate the state so much. I'm sick of this bulls*** being in the SEC East with them.

You DID see who your team appointed head coach, right?

I'm not a Meyer fan, but he is doing something right, destroying the rest of us in the East and winning when it counts.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Aug 22, 2009 -> 06:15 PM)

I'm not a Meyer fan, but he is doing something right, destroying the rest of us in the East and winning when it counts.

You can say that again. Lane Kiffin is proving to be a dbag early and often.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Aug 22, 2009 -> 06:15 PM)

Yeah, but because he's my coach, he's awesome.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 07:53 PM)
So even the Florida fans kick the Buckeyes ass?

/runs and hides

It's really not even a funny joke that a sucker punch at a bar in front of a kid's family may have ended a promising football career and may leave the kid with a long term disability.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
It's really not even a funny joke that a sucker punch at a bar in front of a kid's family may have ended a promising football career and may leave the kid with a long term disability.

It's equally unfair to say this is a mark against Florida fans. It was one guy.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)
Well, its been confirmed that the attacked who injured OSU LB and put him out for the year was a Gator fan who googled Tyler before confronting him. He's been charged with a felony and faces 5 years in jail.

I've been to the place where he was sucker punched...what a s*** hole.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 07:13 PM)
It's equally unfair to say this is a mark against Florida fans. It was one guy.

Who said it was? You were the one who obviously made that assumption, I just said he was confirmed as a Gator fan who googled the guy before he hit him. Obviously that is a mark against him as a person if he would take his fandom to that level. Not sure where you drew the conclusion that I was saying something about the entire fan base, unless you were thinking my earlier sarcastic remark was serious. Either way, its clear this guy is an idiot, and should be penalized harshly.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 03:39 PM)
Who said it was? You were the one who obviously made that assumption, I just said he was confirmed as a Gator fan who googled the guy before he hit him. Obviously that is a mark against him as a person if he would take his fandom to that level. Not sure where you drew the conclusion that I was saying something about the entire fan base, unless you were thinking my earlier sarcastic remark was serious. Either way, its clear this guy is an idiot, and should be penalized harshly.

Take it easy, I was just saying attaching Florida fan to him is irrelevant.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 07:22 PM)
Take it easy, I was just saying attaching Florida fan to him is irrelevant.

Its not though, the report is that because he is a gator fan, he googled the player he thought was a buckeye, and then jeered him and then punched him. All because of who he played for and who the guy was a fan of. Its an indictment on the guy, not the fan base.