In Ozzies Shoe's: The Lineup Card

Chisoxfn

In Ozzie's Shoes: The Lineup Card

By Mario Scalise

There's a lot of thought that goes into making out a lineup, but once you find one that fits (and works), you stick with it, making minor tweaks along the way. So is the case for most managers. But starting tonight, Ozzie Guillen won't have that luxury.

Alex Rios will be playing his first game in a White Sox uni tonight, which means somebody will find themselves on the bench. Same for Friday, Saturday, Sunday and every other game from here on out. It won't be the same person. That would be easy for Guillen, but that isn't possible. They all have a case to start...Rest of the Article

Note: What is your take? What lineup would you go with?

Great article Mario. It will be interesting to see how Ozzie handles the options but there is no doubt in my mind that there are plenty of at bats to go around and everyone should be happy.

In fact, if we play the match-ups right I think this will be a very good situation for this season.

The big question to me is who leads off in games that Pods is on the bench?

You have 3 possibilities: Beckham, Getz, and Rios

I'm going to assume that if Pods is sitting it is most likely because we are playing a righty so in those instances I think I'd go with Rios at the top spot in the lineup while keeping Beckham in the 2 spot (he's comfortable there and this prevents any major shake-ups in the lineup).

In situations where Pods is sitting against a RHP, I'd think you could make a case to go with Getz/Beckham in the top two spots in the lineup. Getz is hitting over .290 since the break with a .350+ OBP. Pressure comes from the top spot though so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sox still go with Rios in order to keep Getz in a lower pressure situation in the back of the order.

Pods can grab some bench, he looks like he needs a rest anyways...

1-rios-cf (speed and power combo at the top. A lot of potential leadoff doubles instead of singles)

2-beckham-3b

3-thome-dh (still draws the BB enough, gotta keep that OBP production near the top of the lineup)

4-Q-lf

5-dye-rf (interchangeable w/paulie, a SLIGHT edge to jd on speed)

6-aj-c (really deserves a higher spot with his 300 average, but lack of power drops him down here, as well as breaking up the righty parade)

7-paulie-1b (interchangeable w/dye)

8-lexi-ss (another speed and power combo guy, starts 4 straight batters with speed)

9-getz-2b

When Pods does play...

-drop him into leadoff and LF

-use either thome or Q as your dh in the 3 hole

-move JD to cleanup and AJ to 5th, and drop Rios into the 6 hole

-everything else stays the same. I espcially like the Lexi-Getz-Pods or Lexi-Getz-Rios stretch once the lineup turns over within any given game.

After watching last night's game, it is clear to me that Dye is the guy who should get benched for a few days rest. He hasn't hit doodly for a few weeks, so on performance, he has to sit down.

Next I would move Quentin back into the #3 hole, with the idea that he would hit there until the end of the season. His bat is hot enough to warrant it, and its the logical long-term place for him.

Next, I would have Rios the guy who moves around in the lineup, depending on who's sitting. He's the new guy, so it is worth seeing him in different spots to see how he does.

With Quentin hitting 3rd and Dye sitting, I would move Rios into Quentin's #7 hole to start off. This turns the bottom around to the top of the lineup into a speed team -- Rios, Ramirez, Getz, Pods, Beckham -- with the plodders in the middle -- Quentin, Thome, Konerko, Pierzynski. And even here both Quentin and AJ can actually score from second on most hits.

For the outfield, when Dye sits, Rios plays RF, Pods stays in CF, and Quentin stays in LF. I wouldn't move Quentin this season b/c he hasn't played RF all year, and Rios is a plus RF. Sure, Rios is best in CF, but I'd just wait. When Pods sits and Dye/Quentin play, then Rios plays CF. And I'd use Rios as a LIDP whenever we have a late lead if he's been on the bench.

As for the lineup if Pods sits, I'd hit Rios lead off. Again, make Rios the guy who moves around. He's got more than enough speed for the position. In that lineup, if Quentin and Dye are also playing, I'd keep Quentin 3rd and hit Dye 6th, behind Konerko. I think that's what we had last season when Quentin was hitting 3rd. AJ would slide back to 7th.

It's not that complicated. I don't think Ozzie will want to overthink the issue of who's pitching, how many games has each guy played, etc. He ought to realize that Dye looks gassed and needs a break, so he should give him one. If Dye looks improved when he plays him again --and it could be when we get home next -- then he'll give somebody else a break, and so on.

To recap:

1. Hit Quentin #3

2. Move Rios around in the lineup, including leading him off at times.

3. Give Dye a break now. Ease him back in when he starts hitting again.

I do not see any team making the playoffs with a different lineup every day. Ozzie has a week or two to find a lineup he is comfortable with and that's going to be the one to sink or swim with. I think Rios is going to be given every opportunity to be successful. I keep looking for a top of the order spot and just not finding it right now. I'm seeing him around 6-7 in the lineup with an eye towards #1.

Getz and Rios have nearly identical numbers in average, OB%, walks, steals, and steals %. I don't understand why you would put a guy that's got the ability to drive in runs like Rios does in the leadoff slot when you have a guy like Getz that can basically do the same thing with less power. To me the difference between Getz and Rios in the one hole is negligible (Getz 1, Rios middle) has a greater value than (Rios 1, Getz 9). If I'm making out the lineup for tonight assuming Pods grabs some bench I go as follows. In fact, I would do this until Dye remembers how to hit.

1. Getz

2. Beckham

3. Quentin

4. Thome

5. Paulie

6. AJP

7. Rios

8. Dye

9. Alexei

QUOTE (JoeCredeYes @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 01:16 PM)
Getz and Rios have nearly identical numbers in average, OB%, walks, steals, and steals %. I don't understand why you would put a guy that's got the ability to drive in runs like Rios does in the leadoff slot when you have a guy like Getz that can basically do the same thing with less power. To me the difference between Getz and Rios in the one hole is negligible (Getz 1, Rios middle) has a greater value than (Rios 1, Getz 9). If I'm making out the lineup for tonight assuming Pods grabs some bench I go as follows. In fact, I would do this until Dye remembers how to hit.

1. Getz

2. Beckham

3. Quentin

4. Thome

5. Paulie

6. AJP

7. Rios

8. Dye

9. Alexei

By the way, the fact that this lineup is actually plausible and this team is only 2 games above .500 is ridiculous.

The more I look at it, the more I think whose spot Rios takes in the OF is where he will bad in the line up. Just drop him in. There are valid reasons for anywhere in the lineup. The 3 spot is the least likely.

We need to put our primary offensive players in the position to get the most AB's. Sadly, this will result in Pods losing playing time. Putting Rios and Beckham in the leadoff position would marginalize their strengths as run producers. So, assuming that the Getz we're seeing presently is here to stay, he needs to move to the leadoff spot, given a lack of superior options.

Lineup:

Getz

Beckham

Q

Thome

Konerko

Dye

Rios

AJ

Ramirez

Bench

Kotsay: 1b, Of

Castro: C

Pods: OF

Nix: Utility.

Edited by Thunderbolt

I've read a couple of articles today in which Ozzie was quoted as saying Rios would have to play some LF. Why in the world would Rios ever be in LF??? Rios should be in CF most of the time. I could see him in RF when Dye is not playing or is DHing. But I see no scenario where Rios would be in LF that makes any logical sense.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)
I've read a couple of articles today in which Ozzie was quoted as saying Rios would have to play some LF. Why in the world would Rios ever be in LF??? Rios should be in CF most of the time. I could see him in RF when Dye is not playing or is DHing. But I see no scenario where Rios would be in LF that makes any logical sense.

I don't know, but it tells me that Quentin is getting some time off. With plantar fascitis and a sore knee, that's probably a good thing.

Rios played a lot of CF when Wells has hurt last year, but it's possible that they feel that Pods has a better "feel" for the position right now, as he's played it more often this season. I don't necessarily agree with that, but it may be Ozzie's logic.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 04:26 PM)
I don't know, but it tells me that Quentin is getting some time off. With plantar fascitis and a sore knee, that's probably a good thing.

Rios played a lot of CF when Wells has hurt last year, but it's possible that they feel that Pods has a better "feel" for the position right now, as he's played it more often this season. I don't necessarily agree with that, but it may be Ozzie's logic.

Well, by that logic, Pods should have a much better "feel" for LF than Rios. Starting Rios in LF while Pods is in CF makes no sense. But Ozzie makes out the f***in' lineups so.....

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 04:31 PM)
Well, by that logic, Pods should have a much better "feel" for LF than Rios. Starting Rios in LF while Pods is in CF makes no sense. But Ozzie makes out the f***in' lineups so.....

Ozzie will always find a way to piss everyone off.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)

Yeah, I agree that it's illogical.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)

He'll play LF on the days when Wise stars in CF, of course.

I do not see any team making the playoffs with a different lineup every day.

Great article. Great analysis on all the players who deserve to play.

Has Oz or KW been quoted as saying Rios, CQ, Pods and Dye and Thome will all continue to play a lot? Was that written somewhere?

Personally it's not fair but I think if Rios has to play everyday and for that money he probably has to play every day, then you have to take out the guy who he's better than on paper. And that's Pods.

Problem is Pods has been amazing. I wouldn't think juggling the lineup every day will work in this day and age of me first ballplayers.

I guess I'm in favor of juggling the lineup and seeing how it goes, but we don't have much wiggle room here. We have to win and win now.

That said ... on paper ... if you have to make a decision it's a no brainer. Pods must sit for Rios. Rios makes WAY more money and on paper Rios is the better player.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
Great article. Great analysis on all the players who deserve to play.

Has Oz or KW been quoted as saying Rios, CQ, Pods and Dye and Thome will all continue to play a lot? Was that written somewhere?

Personally it's not fair but I think if Rios has to play everyday and for that money he probably has to play every day, then you have to take out the guy who he's better than on paper. And that's Pods.

Problem is Pods has been amazing. I wouldn't think juggling the lineup every day will work in this day and age of me first ballplayers.

I guess I'm in favor of juggling the lineup and seeing how it goes, but we don't have much wiggle room here. We have to win and win now.

That said ... on paper ... if you have to make a decision it's a no brainer. Pods must sit for Rios. Rios makes WAY more money and on paper Rios is the better player.

I think it has been hinted that whoever gets less at bats they need to deal with it. Or at least that is what I'm taking out of the comments Williams has made. No one has specifically stated how the club will handle the roster but with the way the team is set-up it really makes sense to handle the lineup like Mario is suggesting.

You have two older players who could use rest in Dye/Thome. One younger player whose playing hurt (Quentin). I will state that I think Rios should play the most out of everyone and I say that because defense is one of the clubs biggest weaknesses and Rios is the only plus defender in the bunch.

We'll see what Oz does though. Either way we'll have a nice bench with one of Rios/Q/Thome/Dye/Pods joining Kotsay (that should be 2 solid PH candidates). Plus Wise as a pinch-runner/bunter.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)
Well, Rios is our new 3 hitter, apparently. Who had that?

Dye will get today off and with the off-day tomorrow, that will give him two full days mental break. I like it. Oz usually makes minor switches in the lineup so its to no surprise that Rios will hit 3rd as opposed to them moving Quentin and the rest of the lineup around. Eventually we'll see changes but right now I think Oz wants to see what Rios can do.

Plus, Rios is swinging a hot bat (or was in Toronto) so hell I don't mind it one bit.