Why Chris Getz Injury Is Good for the Sox

Chisoxfn

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the Nix backers, who talk about his potential, has anyone seen his minor league numbers, that include 2 years in AA, and 3 years in AAA playing in the thin air of CO? In 3250 minor league AB's, he's hit .261/.332/.415.

He is what he is-a decent backup who would be/ is being exposed once he gets regular playing time. It would be a huge jump for him to even become a decent starter. I for one want a starter to be better than a .228 hitter. In fairness he should be able to improve on his avg. in the coming years, as this is his first extended time in the bigs. Yet the same holds true for Getz, and he should be able to improve on his .267 avg. Seeing how Getz has handled big league pitching in his first year, as well as his minor league numbers [in 1420 ab's, he's hit .286/.361/.381], it's very plausible Getz could that could be a starter for a number of teams beside the Pirates and Nats of the baseball world, which are the type of teams Nix could possibly start for.

This question of Getz / Nix is very confusing. The sox in previous years had been a all-or-nothing offense, prone to long slumps, high in strikeouts, overly reliant on the HR to score. Yet the sox have a guy who is the polar opposite of that, a guy who makes very consistent contact, hits for avg., and people want to go back to a younger Juan Uribe?! I don't get it.

I could see wanting to improve on Getz. He may not hit more than .280 and post a .350 OBP. In my world, I want someone for 2b who can do that, as they aren't power hitters. But Jayson Nix isn't an improvement over Getz, not for the type of team the Sox are trying to build right now, with the power hitters in Dye, Thome and PK. When Getz returns, he should get the bulk of playing time.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 01:18 PM)
Ironic that on a board that has been b****ing for years and years about an "all or nothing approach" there's a thread about an injury to a guy who can do a lot of things being a good thing because it gives a prototypical all or nothing hitter more playing time.

Exactly.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 07:13 AM)
the sox have a guy who is the polar opposite of that, a guy who makes very consistent contact, hits for avg., and people want to go back to a younger Juan Uribe?! I don't get it.

I could see wanting to improve on Getz. He may not hit more than .280 and post a .350 OBP. In my world, I want someone for 2b who can do that, as they aren't power hitters. But Jayson Nix isn't an improvement over Getz, not for the type of team the Sox are trying to build right now, with the power hitters in Dye, Thome and PK. When Getz returns, he should get the bulk of playing time.

Totally agree sir!!! being a contact hitter and putting the ball in play............anything can happen. (This is probably a poor analogy, and I by NO MEANS are comparing the two), but in key situations, I fear the heck out of Palanco at the plate a ton more than someone like Maggs. Palanco YOU KNOW will have some sort of contact, and chances have greatly improven of something positive happening.

Is Getz Palanco? HECK NO! Even Close! NO!!!!! Will he ever be? Probably Not! BUT............and here's my point...............he has a lot more upside in putting the ball in play than Nix does. I don't know about you, but I've had about enough of "Go for the fence or nothing at all" at bats in key situations. Had enough of that with Brian Anderson (And yes....as you stated....and good point by the way.......Uribe.) Getz is a scrappy young grind-out player with good base-stealing speed as well, (and granted) that he still has a lot to learn and improve on, but his upside in going in the direction that this organzation would like to go is greater than Nix. I think Nix on this team is GREAT because of his versatility in giving guys rest in various positions, and a backup for injuries, but as an everyday one position, consistent at bat player.........I'll stick with Getz. His contact is better. His speed is better. His strike-out per at bat ratio is less........... Getz 43/311 to Nix 38/171. Nix....approx. 1 K per every 4 at bats. Getz....approx. 1 K per every 7 at bats. and it's still his first year! What's not to like???

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 01:18 PM)
Ironic that on a board that has been b****ing for years and years about an "all or nothing approach" there's a thread about an injury to a guy who can do a lot of things being a good thing because it gives a prototypical all or nothing hitter more playing time.

It's not ironic. I haven't been clamouring for a lineup full of grinders, and like I said right at the beginning of the piece the majority of Sox fans want Getz. So there's really no irony involved. And as for the people arguing that Getz is the better hitter, all the stats disagree with you so I don't see how you can have an argument, but for those of you who are still trying to argue it, Nix' defense is so much better that any slight offensive edge that Getz might inconceivably have would be eliminated by Nix' defensive advantage.

Also was that a typo or did you really mean that Getz can do a lot of things? Because all I've seen from him is the ability to hit for mediocre at best average, with a below average OBP, almost non existent power and below average defense. The only thing he's been good at is stealing bases and those are hugely over valued as it is.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 07:18 AM)

Well when you lump all the varied personalities on Soxtalk together, you are bound to have some inconsistencies.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 01:29 PM)
It's not ironic. I haven't been clamouring for a lineup full of grinders, and like I said right at the beginning of the piece the majority of Sox fans want Getz. So there's really no irony involved. And as for the people arguing that Getz is the better hitter, all the stats disagree with you so I don't see how you can have an argument, but for those of you who are still trying to argue it, Nix' defense is so much better that any slight offensive edge that Getz might inconceivably have would be eliminated by Nix' defensive advantage.

Also was that a typo or did you really mean that Getz can do a lot of things? Because all I've seen from him is the ability to hit for mediocre at best average, with a below average OBP, almost non existent power and below average defense. The only thing he's been good at is stealing bases and those are hugely over valued as it is.

To quote a certain Congressman, "On what planet do you spend most of your time on"? Except for power, Getz has outperformed Nix offensively. And if Nix was given extended time, other teams would figure out how to pitch to him [breaking ball low and away] and his numbers would drop even further. Right now, Getz is hitting better than Nix's career avg in the minors. And it's bound to improve.

Sox fans have [rightly so] for the last decade decried the softball type offensive team, one that lives and dies by the home run. Nix is that type of hitter. He makes little contact, hits for power, and can be an easy out. No one wants a "lineup full of grinders". But having a versatile lineup, of different type hitters [those who can make contact, work counts, hit for average and can hit behid runners if they don't hit for power] is a good thing for an offense. The sox have been too one-dimensional for a long time. And, IMO, Getz fits with the "new" Sox better than Nix.

And, Nix hasn't exactly been a world beater on defense, esp. given his "gold glove" rep. from some prior to coming to the sox [iIRC, Carney Lansford said Nix was the best he's ever seen at 2b?]. I'd expect both to improve on defense. But Getz isn't such as horrible defender that Nix can start despite hitting less than 40 points lower than Getz. Batting average is still kind of important these days, isn't it?

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 01:18 PM)
Totally agree sir!!! being a contact hitter and putting the ball in play............anything can happen. (This is probably a poor analogy, and I by NO MEANS are comparing the two), but in key situations, I fear the heck out of Palanco at the plate a ton more than someone like Maggs. Palanco YOU KNOW will have some sort of contact, and chances have greatly improven of something positive happening.

Is Getz Palanco? HECK NO! Even Close! NO!!!!! Will he ever be? Probably Not! BUT............and here's my point...............he has a lot more upside in putting the ball in play than Nix does. I don't know about you, but I've had about enough of "Go for the fence or nothing at all" at bats in key situations. Had enough of that with Brian Anderson (And yes....as you stated....and good point by the way.......Uribe.) Getz is a scrappy young grind-out player with good base-stealing speed as well, (and granted) that he still has a lot to learn and improve on, but his upside in going in the direction that this organzation would like to go is greater than Nix. I think Nix on this team is GREAT because of his versatility in giving guys rest in various positions, and a backup for injuries, but as an everyday one position, consistent at bat player.........I'll stick with Getz. His contact is better. His speed is better. His strike-out per at bat ratio is less........... Getz 43/311 to Nix 38/171. Nix....approx. 1 K per every 4 at bats. Getz....approx. 1 K per every 7 at bats. and it's still his first year! What's not to like???

Polanco is the type of player you want on your team, if you aren't a power hitter. He's valuable in other ways, besides hitting the ball out of the park. And Getz is much closer to Polanco than Nix. And to push the comparison further, Nix is closer to Uribe than Getz. The sox have had too many Uribe type hitters, and Nix has shown very similar qualities as Uribe on offense.

I know both are young and it's kind of unfair to label either at this point. But if you project to the future, and want to find players to build around, Getz would more likely be a foundation piece than Nix, who likely projects as a utility guy.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 07:13 AM)
For all the Nix backers, who talk about his potential, has anyone seen his minor league numbers, that include 2 years in AA, and 3 years in AAA playing in the thin air of CO? In 3250 minor league AB's, he's hit .261/.332/.415.

He is what he is-a decent backup who would be/ is being exposed once he gets regular playing time. It would be a huge jump for him to even become a decent starter. I for one want a starter to be better than a .228 hitter. In fairness he should be able to improve on his avg. in the coming years, as this is his first extended time in the bigs. Yet the same holds true for Getz, and he should be able to improve on his .267 avg. Seeing how Getz has handled big league pitching in his first year, as well as his minor league numbers [in 1420 ab's, he's hit .286/.361/.381], it's very plausible Getz could that could be a starter for a number of teams beside the Pirates and Nats of the baseball world, which are the type of teams Nix could possibly start for.

This question of Getz / Nix is very confusing. The sox in previous years had been a all-or-nothing offense, prone to long slumps, high in strikeouts, overly reliant on the HR to score. Yet the sox have a guy who is the polar opposite of that, a guy who makes very consistent contact, hits for avg., and people want to go back to a younger Juan Uribe?! I don't get it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 07:18 AM)

f***ing right. This is exactly how I feel.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 08:18 AM)

Jayson Nix is far from being all-or-nothing. Even if he didn’t draw walks and hit bombs, his defense makes him infinitely more valuable then Chris Getz. Look at the numbers, Chris Getz was an offensive black-hole at the start of the season; he’s clearly experiencing some growing pains. Nix provides an asset that's a little more valuable then a potential .360 OBP and 30 stolen bases.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 08:16 AM)
Jayson Nix is far from being all-or-nothing. Even if he didn’t draw walks and hit bombs, his defense makes him infinitely more valuable then Chris Getz. Look at the numbers, Chris Getz was an offensive black-hole at the start of the season; he’s clearly experiencing some growing pains. Nix provides an asset that's a little more valuable then a potential .360 OBP and 30 stolen bases.

A potential .360 OBP/30 SB leadoff hitter would be arguably more valuable on this team than what Nix potentially brings to the table. I like Nix's defensive versatility (although he sucks at SS) and the patience that he's displaying at the plate, but let's not get carried away here.

Frankly, I'd like to find a way to keep both of these guys on the 25-man roster next season. Their skill sets are complimentary.

The argument is who is the proper second basemen, right now. Getz’s evolution as a baseball player appears to be more long-term then anything. Right now, defensively and offensively Nix is the better developed player, and therefore, would contribute more in the race for the division this year.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 12:52 AM)
-A player coached by Greg Walker will typically see a drop in every offensive category.

I'm not gonna try and argue that Greg Walker's the best in the business, but why rip on him in this thread. Despite Nix's low batting average, he has become a very dangerous hitter. In his previous mlb experience, he was a completely useless hitter in probably the most hitter-friendly park in the mlb. IMO, Jason Nix is one reason to keep Greg Walker around.

Half of these statements that you guys are making about Chris Getz and his playing abilities aren't even remotely similar to the kind of player that Chris Getz is right now. The guy was a literal out-machine in the 1st half of the season, with occasional flashes of brilliance. What he has going for him is a grinder reputation. And personally, I'd prefer to interject another 20-25 homer guy into a softball lineup, then a straight singles hitters.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 06:09 PM)
I have Jayson Nix as being worth about 9 more runs then Getz defensively. I’m sure there are people more adept at this sabermetrics stuff then me, can anyone check my math?

I make it 8.2 runs on defense and 7.5 runs on offense. So in significantly less playing time than Getz, Nix has been worth 16.7 runs or approximately 2 wins more than him.

But he's not a grinder so he couldn't possible be better :insert perplexed emoticon here:.

QUOTE (hawkubes @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 12:32 PM)
I'm not gonna try and argue that Greg Walker's the best in the business, but why rip on him in this thread. Despite Nix's low batting average, he has become a very dangerous hitter. In his previous mlb experience, he was a completely useless hitter in probably the most hitter-friendly park in the mlb. IMO, Jason Nix is one reason to keep Greg Walker around.

What? He appeared in 22 games. How can you possibly draw a meaningful conclusion from that?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 04:05 PM)
What? He appeared in 22 games. How can you possibly draw a meaningful conclusion from that?

Exactly, Nix had 65 plate appearances at the major league level, and was sent down and then preceded to hit .303 in AAA with 17 homeruns and 51 RBI’s, thereafter he went on to contribute to the US Olympic team before having to drop out of the tournament after fouling a ball off his face.