Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 04:51 PM)
Did Bruce Weber miss Gene Keady's lesson on scoring against a zone? Everytime they face one, they seem to horribly struggle.

Even if they win today, any committe member who watched Tuesday or today can't possibly think this a NCAA tourney team, ugh.

Well, if they lose today, they'll have to either win at Ohio State or beat Wisconsin at home and then win their 1st game in the Big Ten Tournament to get in, and I see neither of those things happening. So they better wake up and rally in the 2nd half. The people that think the tournament needs to expand past 65 teams crack me up though, because this Illinois team is not a worthy NCAA Tournament team in the least, yet they still have a legit shot to make it.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way that game played out (the first 33 minutes of no effort, the last 7 minutes of frantic effort) is why Illinois is going to be in the NIT. They just don't feel they should bother trying unless absolutely necessary against inferior opponents. That's why they have losses against Georgia and Bradley and Utah and Minnesota at home (Minnesota is much better than those first 3 teams, but losing at home today was still due to 33 minutes of an unacceptable lack of effort.) Even against non inferior opponents like Clemson, Gonzaga, and Missouri, they just decided to not try for a while (or in the case of the Missouri game, really not try period.) It's a talented group, but they are a bunch of dogs and that's why they'll end up in the NIT. Then again, I could end up with egg on my face. Maybe they'll grace us with effort the rest of the way and beat Wisconsin at home and then win a game or two in Indianapolis to get themselves back in the dance. But that wouldn't make them any less hateable.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (kev211 @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 02:55 PM)
:headbang I'm so pumped for tonights game. Primetime ESPN2 games for us really don't happen that often.

So much for that the nascar race got delayed like 2 hours, and ESPN is in love with Danica. So it's looking like we got screwed out of a national tv game.

QUOTE (Felix @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)
Gophers > you

You are correct sir. Thats 2 out of 3 now for the Gophers after 20 in a row the other way.

Why the f*** did Brandon Paul give Jordan the ball with 7 seconds left? I know McCamey fouled out but with 7 seconds left you dont need a point guard to get you a shot, you need someone that can create their own shot, like BP3 or DJ. As soon as Jordan was dribbling up the court, you know they werent gonna score. They lost the game cause of millions of other reasons, but that still pissed me off.

Weber's recruting was his main problem the last few years, but he finally has some talent now and cant get them to play consistently whatsoever. With the returning talent and incoming freshmen, I'll give him next year, but if they arent a top 20 team or so all season, it might be time to get someone else in there.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 06:35 PM)
So Evan Turner hinted again today that he may come back for his senior season, as much as it would be awesome, he's got to go pro, its in his best interest.

If Mark Titus had another year of eligibilty, Turner would be a lock to stay, but without him there, whats the point?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 06:35 PM)
So Evan Turner hinted again today that he may come back for his senior season, as much as it would be awesome, he's got to go pro, its in his best interest.

Thought you told me they already gave away his scholarship?

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 07:05 PM)
Thought you told me they already gave away his scholarship?

I'm sure they'd find room for him.

Most OSU fans I know have already moved on from thinking he is coming back. Kind of excited about the team with Sullinger playing the 4.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 09:13 PM)
Most OSU fans I know have already moved on from thinking he is coming back. Kind of excited about the team with Sullinger playing the 4.

Wonder if Lenzelle would have to red shirt if he stayed.

Indiana playing absolutely wonderful basketball again (I didn't think the green was necessary).

I'm fine with the losses, as I understand it's a long rebuilding process, but being competitive at any point in the past ten games would be cool too.

Also, this would be a completely different team with Maurice Creek. Definitely their best player, and the only one who can really create anything on his own.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=46132

Oh please god, I'd be behind this 1000%. Billy Gillespie may have been a douche and a half at Kentucky, but I'd LOVE to see what he could do in Ames. He turned around a moribund A&M team. He'd probably be available for cheaper than the normal BCS coach just to get back into the game. Please, bring him back.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 07:46 AM)

Oh please god, I'd be behind this 1000%. Billy Gillespie may have been a douche and a half at Kentucky, but I'd LOVE to see what he could do in Ames. He turned around a moribund A&M team.

My God, who writes that site? I got two grafs and a header into it and already found misspellings, and this gem:

The blog adds that the Cyclones are very interested in non-other than Billy Clyde Gillispie.

And "some of".

I wouldn't put too much stake in whatever appears on this site. Though I'd love to see the Clones get a good coach again.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 07:59 AM)
The original rumor comes off of a blog published by the Boulder newspaper. Doubt its credibility, but the thought still has me a tad excited.

I want him at Texas Tech, but the only comments I seem to get are "yeah go find him in the drunk tank and hire him."

It's ok to choke players and be a douchebag as a head coach, but don't drink too much. :unsure:

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 07:46 AM)

Oh please god, I'd be behind this 1000%. Billy Gillespie may have been a douche and a half at Kentucky, but I'd LOVE to see what he could do in Ames. He turned around a moribund A&M team. He'd probably be available for cheaper than the normal BCS coach just to get back into the game. Please, bring him back.

That would be a great hire

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 08:13 AM)
I want him at Texas Tech, but the only comments I seem to get are "yeah go find him in the drunk tank and hire him."

It's ok to choke players and be a douchebag as a head coach, but don't drink too much. :unsure:

LOL, I'm a big fan of the Gillespie boozy jokes, but I definitely think he would be a good hire at a lot of schools. If Bruce doesnt right the ship, wouldnt mind seeing him back in Champaign.