Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 09:57 PM)
Birds pulled into a tie for second place tonight in the MVC. Go Salukis on saturday.

ISU controls their destiny Saturday though, so we only need to beat UNI....if evansville can do it we can?

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 10:57 PM)
Birds pulled into a tie for second place tonight in the MVC. Go Salukis on saturday.

Well I'll apologize to you already for blowing a lead with 2 minutes left in the game. You guys are still going to win arch madness though, the 2 or the 3 seed wont make much of a difference anyways.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 10:05 PM)
Well I'll apologize to you already for blowing a lead with 2 minutes left in the game. You guys are still going to win arch madness though, the 2 or the 3 seed wont make much of a difference anyways.

Wait do you seriously think we're going to win? I don't know if we're going to be able to beat UNI.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 10:22 PM)
I do. It'll be you guys or UNI but at this point, I really think it's going to be the Birds.

Well we are playing our best basketball of the season by far, it'll be nice to see how we fare vs UNI this Saturday. Plus Osiris is definitely going to show up for the tournament, and we've basically ran off this streak with him at his worst.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 09:33 PM)
Huge shot by Grant. Minny will have a chance to win it though. This really turned into a great game.

Great game, but we should have won that. Iverson is a moron, and Joseph had a great look at the end to win it and it just didn't fall. Frustrating loss, but it basically sums up how this season has gone.

QUOTE (Felix @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 11:10 PM)
Great game, but we should have won that. Iverson is a moron, and Joseph had a great look at the end to win it and it just didn't fall. Frustrating loss, but it basically sums up how this season has gone.

Losing Hummel while off to a double digit lead, and Moore having a poor offensive shooting game and somehow Purdue wins on the road. Grant has finally played well for the Boilers the past two weeks, but without Hummel, which it didn't look good for any return this year, the Boilers are just a average team at best. Horrible break for Purdue if Hummel is gone for the rest of the year!

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 08:22 AM)
Losing Hummel while off to a double digit lead, and Moore having a poor offensive shooting game and somehow Purdue wins on the road. Grant has finally played well for the Boilers the past two weeks, but without Hummel, which it didn't look good for any return this year, the Boilers are just a average team at best. Horrible break for Purdue if Hummel is gone for the rest of the year!

I hope Hummel isn't out long, this year was looking promising.

Linking to this paper makes me feel dirty. At least it took forever to respond for me.

Sources close to the Purdue men’s basketball team are saying junior forward Robbie Hummel tore his anterior cruciate ligament Wednesday night against Minnesota and will be out for an unclear amount of time.

The severity of the tear was not immediately known, though any ACL tear likely means the end to this season.

Hummel’s parents did not couldn’t be reached for comment at their home phone, and the Naismith Award finalist is unavailable to media.

A press release from the Purdue Athletic department confirming the injury is expected today.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 12:17 PM)
Hummel torn ACL, confirmed by about every sports writer and his mother too.

My friends and I predicted that on the spot. That's exactly what the injury looked like, which is pretty bad news for Hummel and Purdue.

QUOTE (Felix @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 02:31 PM)
My friends and I predicted that on the spot. That's exactly what the injury looked like, which is pretty bad news for Hummel and Purdue.

Yeah, as soon as it happened you could tell he blew his knee out I texted a few buddies immediatly "Hummel looks like he blew out his knee, Purdue done as serious contenders". I hate to see an injury impact any contending team. Even if it was for the teams I openly dislike (Duke & Indiana) I just HATE seeing a key guy injured for ANY contending team . Rooting for Purdue, since they have a kid I've known since he was in 7th grade (E'twaun Moore) makes this injury suck that much worse.

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)
Yeah, as soon as it happened you could tell he blew his knee out I texted a few buddies immediatly "Hummel looks like he blew out his knee, Purdue done as serious contenders". I hate to see an injury impact any contending team. Even if it was for the teams I openly dislike (Duke & Indiana) I just HATE seeing a key guy injured for ANY contending team . Rooting for Purdue, since they have a kid I've known since he was in 7th grade (E'twaun Moore) makes this injury suck that much worse.

Bad for purdue and bad for the B10. I still think he's the 3rd best player on that team however and still think they could make a good run.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 07:31 PM)
Bad for purdue and bad for the B10. I still think he's the 3rd best player on that team however and still think they could make a good run.

I agree he is their 3rd best player ( all 3 are very close though in importance), but they are SO dependant on those three that losing any of them eliminates Purdue as any kind of serious contenders to get to Indy for the final four. When he planted in the lane Wednsday night their final four hopes blew up along with his knee.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 09:19 AM)
I agree he is their 3rd best player ( all 3 are very close though in importance), but they are SO dependant on those three that losing any of them eliminates Purdue as any kind of serious contenders to get to Indy for the final four. When he planted in the lane Wednsday night their final four hopes blew up along with his knee.

Very true. Their freshmen this year have been a HUGE disappointment besides Barlow, but even he has really struggled the last few games. Grant has picked up his game, but Hummel is irreplaceable and it will spell the end for Purdue. I wonder if Johnson will end up leading early.

And agreed about my Hoosiers. They are hard to watch. Rivers is god awful. Hopefully just adding Sheehey and Oladipo with their athleticism will help us out some next year. I pray we can add one more impact recruit for 2010 or the fans will really start to question Crean with another down year.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 08:46 AM)
Very true. Their freshmen this year have been a HUGE disappointment besides Barlow, but even he has really struggled the last few games. Grant has picked up his game, but Hummel is irreplaceable and it will spell the end for Purdue. I wonder if Johnson will end up leading early.

And agreed about my Hoosiers. They are hard to watch. Rivers is god awful. Hopefully just adding Sheehey and Oladipo with their athleticism will help us out some next year. I pray we can add one more impact recruit for 2010 or the fans will really start to question Crean with another down year.

I despise the Hoosiers, but I think the fan base needs to be a little patient with Crean. I'd give him at least 5 years to make them a good program again. Any hint of talent left that team after the Sampson debacle, so he's relying on low rated players and walk-ons to compete. He needs to get recruits in, and those recruits need to play for 2-3 years before there's any reasonable expectation that they'll become a decent team. I guess if he's still one of the bottom 3 in the league, then you might question the hire, but really so long as he's in the 8-5 range I think you have to be ok with it for another season or two.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 10:15 AM)
I despise the Hoosiers, but I think the fan base needs to be a little patient with Crean. I'd give him at least 5 years to make them a good program again. Any hint of talent left that team after the Sampson debacle, so he's relying on low rated players and walk-ons to compete. He needs to get recruits in, and those recruits need to play for 2-3 years before there's any reasonable expectation that they'll become a decent team. I guess if he's still one of the bottom 3 in the league, then you might question the hire, but really so long as he's in the 8-5 range I think you have to be ok with it for another season or two.

I'm more than willing to be patient with Crean and so far I haven't been disappointed with what I've seen. He's had what, 1, 1.5 recruiting classes in so far, and he's gotten good people to come in with them, correct?

Didn't IU's best player go down with an injury already this year?

He's gotten really good performances out of a young, weak team, and made himself look like a quality coach. I can live with that for now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 09:26 AM)
I'm more than willing to be patient with Crean and so far I haven't been disappointed with what I've seen. He's had what, 1, 1.5 recruiting classes in so far, and he's gotten good people to come in with them, correct?

Didn't IU's best player go down with an injury already this year?

He's gotten really good performances out of a young, weak team, and made himself look like a quality coach. I can live with that for now.

I agree. Unless you are breaking the rules, you can't get an entire team turned around in a year.