Jake Peavy Update Thread

WSoxMatt

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 06:07 PM)
No, your post looks kinda stupid, but the trade was still awesome. We have several years of a top flight Ace for basically nothing prospects. What a great trade.

This.

Blaming KW for the trade cuz Peavy was/is hurt is dumb. He said at the time it was more geared towards 2010 anyways. KW could not have foreseen him taking a line drive off the elbow.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 09:42 PM)
I can't say for sure of course, but don't you agree the move now looks stupid at best?

The guy hasn't pitched for us, we gave up some young pitchers who might have fared better in relief roles than the scum we've put out there.

The gamble was we'd be in the pennant race and he'd be the September boost we need.

I hate to second guess too much but the gamble failed. We're not in the race and his presence matters not. The other guys? They might have helped. We gave up too many bodies for a guy on the DL.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 11:07 PM)
No, your post looks kinda stupid, but the trade was still awesome. We have several years of a top flight Ace for basically nothing prospects. What a great trade.

Greg, I know that you spend a lot of time on this site, so I find it disheartening to learn of your complete unawareness as to the point of the Peavy trade. It was a power move for the long term, son.

Are people doing a good enough job of making these things clear to some of the less-informed posters? I blame the moderators - all 10,000 of 'em.

Greg, I know that you spend a lot of time on this site, so I find it disheartening to learn of your complete unawareness as to the point of the Peavy trade. It was a power move for the long term, son.

Are people doing a good enough job of making these things clear to some of the less-informed posters? I blame the moderators - all 10,000 of 'em.

Cmon it was not just for the future. The common perception was he would push us over the top in September of THIS SEASON.

I agree with you it in theory sets our rotation up for the future. In theory.

But you cannot convince me KW knew we'd be out of it this year. Everybody was saying if Jake could push us over the top (with Rios) and we could win the division, we'd have a rotation capable of going far in THIS YEAR"s playoffs.

I find it disheartening that you say the trade was only for the future. I don't believe that. No frickin way.

Edited by greg775

I just checked Cowley's Twitter and was amazed to see he has only 126 followers. To put it in perspective, a 28 year old guy named Justin has a page called s***mydadsays and has well over 100,000 followers. To his credit, s***mydadsays is one of the funniest things I have read in ages and I know "followers" does not equate actual readers. But still, 126 followers is not good for a sports reporter in a major U.S. city.

Edited by Pants Rowland

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 08:46 PM)
Merkin is the bringer of good news "According to MLB.com's Scott Merkin, an MRI on Jake Peavy's sore right elbow Monday revealed no structural damage.

Peavy is still unable to throw without discomfort "

Sounds like a bone bruise.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 03:21 PM)
Encouraging but still no reason to pitch him this season.

Let him be our great hope entering next season. We need a spark of interest this winter and with his and Rios' salaries, we won't be picking up any free agents.

I really think we splurge on a hitter this year. I think Figgins is in our sights. Kenny has been trying to get him for a while now supposedly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)
I really think we splurge on a hitter this year. I think Figgins is in our sights. Kenny has been trying to get him for a while now supposedly.

Yeah, after Contreras leaves, we're just not going to have enough really bad contracts.

Peavy should do what he wants, but I hope he just shuts it down and starts fresh next year. I'd rather see Torres and Hudson get some major league starts. I'd like to see a six-man rotation with Buehrle, Torres, Hudson, Garcia, Floyd, and Danks getting four starts each over the last 24 games.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 04:29 PM)
Yeah, after Contreras leaves, we're just not going to have enough really bad contracts.

I assume you're suggesting that whatever the Sox would sign Figgins to would have to be a really bad contract?

I've read that he'd probably sign for 4 years $44mil. Obviously, that's not chump change, but Fangraphs.com suggests that his output this season alone is worth $23.2mil. He's been an injury risk all throughout his career, but when healthy, he's a difference maker at the top of a lineup. Also, his defense has made major strides at 3B (UZR/150 of 11.2). Personally, I'd welcome that bad contract.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 07:30 PM)
I assume you're suggesting that whatever the Sox would sign Figgins to would have to be a really bad contract?

I've read that he'd probably sign for 4 years $44mil. Obviously, that's not chump change, but Fangraphs.com suggests that his output this season alone is worth $23.2mil. He's been an injury risk all throughout his career, but when healthy, he's a difference maker at the top of a lineup. Also, his defense has made major strides at 3B (UZR/150 of 11.2). Personally, I'd welcome that bad contract.

The perfect reason that any stat site should be taken with a grain of salt.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 05:30 PM)

That is exactly the kind of contract I'm talking about.