How did you find your job?

Jimbo's Drinker

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last job, before I was laid off, I found thru Craigslist.

Right now, besides trolling the job boards...trying to find anyone that works at the place I'm applying to through LinkedIn or Facebook and then seeing how I might be connected to them. We'll see how this works...all they can do it get me in the door...after that, it's up to me.

Luck.

I had just graduated and sent out probably 50 or so resumes to insurance companies, banks, big businesses etc and just so happens one of the companies was looking for someone with my degree to fill a position. It was luck because I knew nothing about the company when applying and they hadn't been advertising the job since it was being created and they didn't even know all it would do yet. Right time, right place.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 10:40 AM)
Last job, before I was laid off, I found thru Craigslist.

Right now, besides trolling the job boards...trying to find anyone that works at the place I'm applying to through LinkedIn or Facebook and then seeing how I might be connected to them. We'll see how this works...all they can do it get me in the door...after that, it's up to me.

Having a connection at a company (friend, former co-worker, etc.) is far and away the best way to go, in terms of success rate. If that fails, next best is using recruiters/headhunters to find you a job. Sending in resumes blind should be the last choice, though sometimes you have no other choice.

I applied online to about 1000 jobs (from July '07 - January '08). Finally got a call back after about six months to one job of the thousand. I had an interview with a company called Oce, which is a company that basically gets contracted to do office and printing jobs (pretty much temp work). I showed them that I had the ability to do some very very very basic things that I learned in high school [not college]. I was then declared the best candidate they'd ever had for the position they were trying to fill. I worked as a temp for 3 months before the company I was placed in had decided to hire me on full time. It was so wierd, because I had applied to so many jobs for so long and never got a response. But when I was finally given the opportunity to present myself, I was told that I was the best candidate they had seen for a long time. The job market is so wierd. I think the fact that a lot of people lie on their resumes hurts others' chances too.

Usually the best way to get a job is simply to know someone.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 01:11 PM)
Having a connection at a company (friend, former co-worker, etc.) is far and away the best way to go, in terms of success rate. If that fails, next best is using recruiters/headhunters to find you a job. Sending in resumes blind should be the last choice, though sometimes you have no other choice.

In this case...a guy I used to work with is connected to a guy working at the place. Hopefully, it works. Probably won't hear anything about an interview this week because of Labor Day. Keep yer fingers crossed!

I've had two jobs since I graduated college. One at Deloitte and the other at Apria (where I currently work).

I got the Deloitte job by meeting the recruiters and going to recruiting events during college and putting in my resume and getting invited to some of the more private Deloitte recruiting events. A couple firm members liked me and recommended me which put me on the list to be brought in. I interviewed, they still liked me, and was offered to start when I graduated (which was in about 10 months).

When I left Deloitte, i went to Apria (I didn't leave until I had found a position) but I basically got in contact with a recruiter who I told what I was looking for, etc etc. He called me back the next day said I had an interview at this place called Apria. I came in, interviewed on a friday, and on Monday I had a call with a formal offer. I ended up working for someone who I knew vaguely from Deloitte and he was going through the hiring process the same time I was and the big reason I accepted was because I would be working with him (I knew him well so I didn't have to start over at a new company and re-earn my reputation so to speak).

I'm now trying for a third jump, this time to one of the 3 largest semi-conductor companies in the world. I found out about the job from a friend of mine that works at the company and sent him my resume. The company was already familiar with me though as I turned down a position earlier to work for Apria, but recommended a colleague of mine (my friend) who ultimately accepted. Now a new position in an area I'm interested in working has opened up and thanks to a combo of my friend and the way I offered up a good candidate in rejection I am being brought in next week for a round of interviews. Note: I had found the initial posting from there website.

Hopefully the last one goes well and is another story of how I found a job.

Oh and an interview hasn't gone by in which my website (Soxtalk/SoxNet/FutureSox) isn't one of the primary points of discussion so I think having something unique on your resume can help you stand out (as long as that unique thing is a good thing, haha).

Also, if anyone is in accounting in college and is interested in going the public accounting root, definitely hit me up because I do have very good contacts at Deloitte Chicago (two cousins) and I can also explain the entire process, pro's and con's, etc and essentially give you the honest truth about public accounting (and with that info you can do what you want).

I didn't like my stay, but I recommend it to anyone interested in going that route whose in college.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 03:25 PM)
Anyone know someone who works in the Communications and Public Relations department at Argonne?

I know someone who used to be Director of Communications and her response to any job relating to that would be...DON'T DO IT!

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 05:16 PM)
I know someone who used to be Director of Communications and her response to any job relating to that would be...DON'T DO IT!

Do employers view Comm degrees as a weak degree? I've thought about PR to try and get my way into the White Sox, but I'm currently just wanting a business degree from the private school I'm looking at before getting an associate's in a healthcare position. We'll see what happens, though the dream is to work with the Sox. If not, at least I tried.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 03:25 PM)
Also, if anyone is in accounting in college and is interested in going the public accounting root, definitely hit me up because I do have very good contacts at Deloitte Chicago (two cousins) and I can also explain the entire process, pro's and con's, etc and essentially give you the honest truth about public accounting (and with that info you can do what you want).

I didn't like my stay, but I recommend it to anyone interested in going that route whose in college.

Know anyone over there in the IT consulting dept or with connections to that area?

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 05:16 PM)

Any particular reason why?

edit: and are you referring to Argonne specifically, or media relations in general?

Edited by StrangeSox