2016 Olympics

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)
Even with the destruction and non-replacement of nearly every housing project in the city?

Especially with that, in fact. They've destroyed all sorts of projects, which were awful for everyone involved, in favor of mixed income housing, which is a far better idea. Anything you do will have negatives of course, but there is no doubt in my mind that mixed housing is a better idea that piling all the poor people into projects.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 03:05 PM)
Especially with that, in fact. They've destroyed all sorts of projects, which were awful for everyone involved, in favor of mixed income housing, which is a far better idea. Anything you do will have negatives of course, but there is no doubt in my mind that mixed housing is a better idea that piling all the poor people into projects.

They haven't replaced but a small fraction of the housing in reality.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)
They haven't replaced but a small fraction of the housing in reality.

Of course not - that wasn't the plan anyway. The plan was to build some new housing that was high grade enough to draw non-assisted buyers, but assisted buyers would be mixed in, and then to provide assistance with housing costs in the open market for most of them.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
Of course not - that wasn't the plan anyway. The plan was to build some new housing that was high grade enough to draw non-assisted buyers, but assisted buyers would be mixed in, and then to provide assistance with housing costs in the open market for most of them.

Sure that sounds great in theory but look at how it really turns out. Look at University Village as one example.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)
Sure that sounds great in theory but look at how it really turns out. Look at University Village as one example.

That's still a heck of a lot better than, say, Robert Taylor, or Cabrini Green.

Reality is, most of these folks will never get their feet under them. The idea is to try to set something up so that they have at least some better opportunities, and hopefully a percentage of them can claw their way out.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 01:04 PM)
lol at the comments. I really need to stop doing that. No wonder I'm so arrogant.

LOL seriously.

"Did he really think he was fooling us by saying he might be going? Mayor Chucky told him he better be there or else.

I hope the IOC choses RIO and not Chicago.....All the mayors courupt buddies are waiting for a piece of the pie$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"

I too hope it goes to Rio, where there is no corruption and everyone will be safe.

Public transit changes if we get the Olympics:

Indeed, a plan that meshes short-term Olympic needs with the broader daily demands of Chicago commuters may be tough to do, experts say.

While an overhaul, particularly of the CTA's aging subway and L system, is necessary, it likely is cost-prohibitive and difficult to accomplish in seven years.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 09:25 AM)

So, the Olympics will not miraculously fix all of Chicago's transportation issues. We knew this. No one said it would. People HAVE said, as history has dictated, that the city will indeed get an influx of money to do a lot of good things. Fix everything? No one said anything of the sort.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 09:25 AM)

Chicago needs to dump the "El" system in favor of some sort of light rail solution, but it will cost billions upon billions fo dollars. And even if we could get the national government to foot the bill, it would take well over a decade to do.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 08:52 AM)
LOL seriously.

"Did he really think he was fooling us by saying he might be going? Mayor Chucky told him he better be there or else.

I hope the IOC choses RIO and not Chicago.....All the mayors courupt buddies are waiting for a piece of the pie$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"

I too hope it goes to Rio, where there is no corruption and everyone will be safe.

Yeah, I can see the comments now as well - the comment board on there make the Buster on SoxTalk look like tea with the Royal Family.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 09:29 AM)
Chicago needs to dump the "El" system in favor of some sort of light rail solution, but it will cost billions upon billions fo dollars. And even if we could get the national government to foot the bill, it would take well over a decade to do.

Why would you scrap the existing system for a different light rail? Light Rail in the modern sense would mean train cars on the ground, which wouldn't work anymore, there is no room for it. Wouldn't make any sense. What is needed is infrastructure updates to what is already there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
Does anyone know when the actual voting process takes place, not just the announcement of the votes?

I got this info from a pretty solid source, but by word of mouth. There is an initial round of voting, and the results would be announced at 11am Chicago time on Friday from that. Then the horse-trading and second round occur, supposedly resulting in a final vote by 3pm. But, the rule is a vote plurality - it takes as many rounds as needed to get 50% for someone. So I suppose its possible that someone could get over 50% ont he first vote, but apparently that is very rare.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)
I got this info from a pretty solid source, but by word of mouth. There is an initial round of voting, and the results would be announced at 11am Chicago time on Friday from that. Then the horse-trading and second round occur, supposedly resulting in a final vote by 3pm. But, the rule is a vote plurality - it takes as many rounds as needed to get 50% for someone. So I suppose its possible that someone could get over 50% ont he first vote, but apparently that is very rare.

I seem to recall that they split - then they consolidate when it appears that their city is gone. In other words, there's bribes up the ass that gets traded after each vote.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)

I thought I heard that final is at 11am Chicago time. I could be wrong, though.