Top-5 prospects Kenny will trade this offseason

Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 06:11 PM)
I think Link is a candidate to be taken off the 40 man roster and be exposed to the Rule V draft.

Why? I think Link has a decent shot at making the club in spring training.

IMO, there are several other players who will be shown the door before Link.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 08:54 PM)
If Kenny pulls off a block buster Hudson or Flowers will headline it.

For an elite pitcher (Haren, Halladay), Hudson's the headliner.

For a bat (Crawford) it'll be Flowers.

If its someone like Fielder, both are gone.

^^^^Wow that is some optimism to be going after any of those three, trade those players. It will be a fun off season as always and looking forward to all the discussion.

I think Link had a terrible year and that is why I think he is going to be unprotected, but with that, I'm not sure what players we have to move to the 40 man to protect.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 09:43 PM)
^^^^Wow that is some optimism to be going after any of those three, trade those players. It will be a fun off season as always and looking forward to all the discussion.

I think Link had a terrible year and that is why I think he is going to be unprotected, but with that, I'm not sure what players we have to move to the 40 man to protect.

With Kenny, I'd expect anything. Seriously, it wouldn't shock me at all if any of these players are here next year:

Halladay

Haren

Fielder

Crawford

Bay

Holliday

Figgins (most likely)

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 05:14 PM)
Phil Rogers jumped out of the bushes a few weeks ago to call Gartrell possibly the biggest sleeper since Maggs. I'm a little surprised that Gartrell hasn't been added to the AFL roster because organizational hype through Phil Rogers + AFL appearance would pretty much spell Kenny flashing his cards.

Who was the last guy Rodgers was right about?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 09:46 PM)
With Kenny, I'd expect anything. Seriously, it wouldn't shock me at all if any of these players are here next year:

Halladay

Haren

Fielder

Crawford

Bay

Holliday

Figgins (most likely)

Cross the top three off of your list right away.

We aren't trading for expensive starting pitchers, nor are we trading for middle of the line up plodders. Crawford and Figgins are the only guys on that list that make sense.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 10:17 PM)

We aren't trading for expensive starting pitchers, nor are we trading for middle of the line up plodders. Crawford and Figgins are the only guys on that list that make sense.

Eh, I always thought if someone was on the market, Kenny would inquire, but never snag them. Peavy changed my opinion on that, and he reportedly tried to get Haren a few times.

Also, I just realized why Kenny's restaurant is called market.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 11:07 PM)
Halladay would be amazing since he is damn good and is one of the best LF'ers defensively, buttttttttttttt

he is a boras client...

I want to see Holliday and Halladay on the same team, it would be pure confusion hilarity.

Eh, I always thought if someone was on the market, Kenny would inquire, but never snag them. Peavy changed my opinion on that, and he reportedly tried to get Haren a few times.

Also, I just realized why Kenny's restaurant is called market.

I want to see Holliday and Halladay on the same team, it would be pure confusion hilarity.

Doh, i meant Holliday -_-

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 10:17 PM)

I'm seriously going to snap the next time somebody suggests we add starting pitching. Especially extremely expensive starting pitching (and when I say expensive I mean in both money and players). We're absolutely set with the starting rotation for the next 3-5 years, at least.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 11:55 PM)
I'm seriously going to snap the next time somebody suggests we add starting pitching. Especially extremely expensive starting pitching (and when I say expensive I mean in both money and players). We're absolutely set with the starting rotation for the next 3-5 years, at least.

Agreed. And we shouldn't be expecting the Sox to fill the 5th starter spot with anyone besides players like: Freddy Garcia, Daniel Hudson, Carlos Torres, John Ely, erc etc etc.

If the Sox goes outside the organization for a starting pitcher for the 5th starter role, then it'll be a lower-tier starting pitcher among the likes of Doug Davis, Paul Byrd, Carlos Silva, Russ Ortiz, Vincente Padilla, etc etc etc,... you know, scrubby guys like that.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 12:55 AM)

Eh, I just know that Kenny inquired about Haren when Peavy said no initially and quite frankly, a bunch of the players the D-Backs sent to Oakland were from us, so it's like "We had the ammo for that?"

As long as there's a Dan H. in the rotation I'll be fine.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 01:44 AM)
Agreed. And we shouldn't be expecting the Sox to fill the 5th starter spot with anyone besides players like: Freddy Garcia, Daniel Hudson, Carlos Torres, John Ely, erc etc etc.

If the Sox goes outside the organization for a starting pitcher for the 5th starter role, then it'll be a lower-tier starting pitcher among the likes of Doug Davis, Paul Byrd, Carlos Silva, Russ Ortiz, Vincente Padilla, etc etc etc,... you know, scrubby guys like that.

I want to see that just for the sheer fact that AJ would snap.

Personally, I don't think any of our lower level guys have a chance of being traded.

After 2010, Griffith, Gilmore, Upchurch and Leesman may be prime targets.

Some guys that I could see going are:

1) Morel

2) Torres

3) Armstrong

4) Gartrell

5) Link

None of those guys are going to be headliners, but a "pick three" could land us a bullpen arm out of them.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 01:52 AM)
Eh, I just know that Kenny inquired about Haren when Peavy said no initially and quite frankly, a bunch of the players the D-Backs sent to Oakland were from us, so it's like "We had the ammo for that?"

Not true at all. Yes, we had pieces for the trade, but we definitely didnt have enough to get Haren.

Guys that were in the trade that werent a former Sox player:

-Carlos Gonzalez, who was ranked as one of the top prospects in all of baseball at the time (#1 prospect for Arizona at the time)

-Brett Anderson (#3 prospect for Arizona at time)

-Dana Eveland

-Greg Smith ---Both of these last two players were young lefty pitchers.

So add in a stud outfield prospect, a great pitching prospect, and two mid-level prospects and you quickly realize the Sox did not have the ammo for such a trade. We had pieces, and we may have been able to acquire more pieces by unloading some of the vets for prospects, but the farm system was not good enough for Haren.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 03:08 PM)
I'll make one more guess here: Brent Morel goes to Oakland as part of a deal for either Craig Breslow or Rajai Davis. Morel seems like the type of player Beane would covet. CJ also seems like a Beane type.

I would trade Morel for Davis right now if that was even a remote option, Beane would want one of the Danks brothers for Davis at least.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 10:27 PM)
What prospects will Kenny trade this offseason? Make your predictions for the top 5 prospects which are most likely to be sent packing and whoever is most right at the end of the offseason wins an internet smiley from me. The prize looks like this: :notworthy

Mine are:

1. CJ Retherford - he should be a hot topic this offseason and there's a logjam (but I'd really like to keep this guy)

2. Nevin Griffith - could see him going in a 3-for-1 type deal

3. Brent Morel - good as gone if Gordon stays at 3B

4. Tyler Flowers - if we make a blockbuster then Flowers will have to head the package

5. Miguel Gonzalez - just put himself on the map, so that means Kenny is probably going to send him out

send all those 5 plus hudson for adrian gonzales ? possible ?maybe ?

• 2 weeks later...