Who should the Sox trade for this winter?

GreatScott82

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 07:57 PM)
How about a couple Nats? I would love to see Nyjer Morgan or Josh Willingham. Anyone know what their contract situations look like?

Willingham just finished his first arb-eligible year, I believe he has 2 more. Nyjer Morgan is still at least 1 year pre-arbitration, and would be a league minimum guy next season. Has less than 2 years of service time.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 11:16 PM)
Willingham just finished his first arb-eligible year, I believe he has 2 more. Nyjer Morgan is still at least 1 year pre-arbitration, and would be a league minimum guy next season. Has less than 2 years of service time.

Note to self: talk of the Nats is an apparent thread killer. Sorry to be the buzz kill, it's probably never a positive thing saying that we could benefit by raiding the Nats.

If we traded away Konerko, I wouldn't mind acquiring Atkins from the Rockies. He could play 1st, DH and play 3rd.

He's fallen off a cliff recently and can't hit away from Coors Field, and before anyone gives me any of the "USCF is a hitter's park too" s***, we have to play 81 games on the road as well next year and he don't need another hole in the lineup.

1790_3B_season__ha_full_1_20090929.png

1790_3B_season__ha_full_2_20090929.png

Looks like the Stock Market near the end of the Dubya era.

The guy i'd like to see KW acquire is Fernando Martinez from the Mets. Maybe Jenks in a package deal? The question is are the Mets still high on him. He struggled this year and still hasn't been able to stay healthy for an entire year but he has a world of potential. He sure would fit nicely into the lineup. Then i'd sign Hank Blalock to be the DH and re-sign Kotsay and Pods for the bench. The lienup would have a nice lefty/right balance and a nice blend of speed and power.

LF-Quentin

CF-Rios

RF-Martinez

3B-Beckham

SS-Ramirez

2B-Getz

1B-Konerko

C-AJ

DH-Blalock

bench- Kotsay, Nix, Pods, Wise, Flowers

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
The guy i'd like to see KW acquire is Fernando Martinez from the Mets. Maybe Jenks in a package deal? The question is are the Mets still high on him. He struggled this year and still hasn't been able to stay healthy for an entire year but he has a world of potential. He sure would fit nicely into the lineup. Then i'd sign Hank Blalock to be the DH and re-sign Kotsay and Pods for the bench. The lienup would have a nice lefty/right balance and a nice blend of speed and power.

LF-Quentin

CF-Rios

RF-Martinez

3B-Beckham

SS-Ramirez

2B-Getz

1B-Konerko

C-AJ

DH-Blalock

bench- Kotsay, Nix, Pods, Wise, Flowers

You cant just look at it from the Sox perspective, why the hell would the Mets want Jenks? They didnt want him last year for our asking price and they sure as hell wont trade on of their best young prospects for a bullpen arm that wont even be their closer (since ya know, they kinda brought in a guy for that during FA last year) and is getting expensive.

Check out Florida Marlins OF Chris Coghlan. This guy's stats are pretty good for being a rookie, yet I have heard nothing about him. Maybe he could be had. Does anybody know anything about him? Are his RBI totals low for a reason other than having to play on the Marlins?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 04:29 PM)
Check out Florida Marlins OF Chris Coghlan. This guy's stats are pretty good for being a rookie, yet I have heard nothing about him. Maybe he could be had. Does anybody know anything about him? Are his RBI totals low for a reason other than having to play on the Marlins?

They're not trading him for what we would conceivably offer.

Jenks for Cody Ross IMO. Use the savings to sign a lefty setup man and make Thornton the closer. That way we fill a hole (RF) without adding to the payroll.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 04:27 PM)
You cant just look at it from the Sox perspective, why the hell would the Mets want Jenks? They didnt want him last year for our asking price and they sure as hell wont trade on of their best young prospects for a bullpen arm that wont even be their closer (since ya know, they kinda brought in a guy for that during FA last year) and is getting expensive.

Agree, the Mets wouldn't make that deal. They have KRod and can bring Putz back for about $2M more than they'd have to pay Jenks. The Mets will probably let Putz go and will find a righty setup man on the open market for far less than Jenks will cost.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 04:35 PM)
Anyone know the Phillies org? Since Lidge has pretty much bit the big one...again...they might be interested in Bobby Jenks. But, I'm not familiar with their young prospects.

They're still stuck with Lidge's salary though ($24.5M guaranteed through 2011 including a 2012 buyout). If they look for a closer it will have to be of the league minimum variety as they'd be stupid to pay about $18.5M for one closer.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 05:35 PM)
Jenks for Cody Ross IMO. Use the savings to sign a lefty setup man and make Thornton the closer. That way we fill a hole (RF) without adding to the payroll.

Why not just aks for one of the Marlins LHP's in the deal too? It's probably a more worthy package anyway, and they're going to have to move both Taylor Tankersley and Renyel Pinto soon anyway.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 05:41 PM)
If I were Kenny, I'd be dangling Jenks for Adam Dunn or Carl Crawford. Unfortunately, the Nats are such a mess that they probably wouldn't be interested in Bobby.

Neither of those players can be had for a closer. Especially, if said closer is Bobby Jenks.

Every year the call goes out to trade half our team and let the other hal go to free agency or release them. I want stability. Spring Training comes around and every team seems to think they have solved all of their problems from the year before and for sure all teams are equal in the standings come opening day. We will probably make some trades and sign some mid to low tier free agents, but I can only think of one or two open positions other than the bullpen. Do we go with our own youngsters or try someone else? It's all wait and see.

Jenks has little value to a team like the Nats or Marlins so that won't happen. The Phils have the need but i've heard their payroll is bumping against its ceiling. Maybe if the win the Series again. He might get some looks from the Angels, given Fuentes' disappointing season. Dunno what to expect, but it will happen fast if it happens at all.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
Neither of those players can be had for a closer. Especially, if said closer is Bobby Jenks.

I imagine that Kenny would have to throw in another minor league player or two, but keep in mind that Crawford and Dunn only have one year left on their contracts. The Rays are also in the market for a closer.

QUOTE (daggins @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 02:49 PM)
Jenks has little value to a team like the Nats or Marlins so that won't happen. The Phils have the need but i've heard their payroll is bumping against its ceiling. Maybe if the win the Series again. He might get some looks from the Angels, given Fuentes' disappointing season. Dunno what to expect, but it will happen fast if it happens at all.

I doubt that the Angels will want Jenks back, especially after they dumped him for alcohol and attitude problems.

The Marlins have some interesting players they'll probably try to move to save money or lose to free agency. Nick Johnson, the revitalized Kiko Calero, Cody Ross, Jeremy Hermida, maybe even...Dan Uggla??!?!! It would take prospects to get Ross or Uggla but maybe it could be looked into?

QUOTE (daggins @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 04:49 PM)

The Marlins need a closer. Unlike the Nationals, the Marlins have a lot of talent on the field. Mike Stanton (one of the best prospects in all of baseball) is on his way too.

QUOTE (daggins @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
The Marlins have some interesting players they'll probably try to move to save money or lose to free agency. Nick Johnson, the revitalized Kiko Calero, Cody Ross, Jeremy Hermida, maybe even...Dan Uggla??!?!! It would take prospects to get Ross or Uggla but maybe it could be looked into?

They were dangling Ross and Hermida for Matt Capps at the deadline. Bobby Jenks is about 1000X better than Matt Capps.

Ross for Jenks is realistic IMO. Hermida could be non-tendered. Coughlan is there, as is Maybin who they haven't given up on yet, and then Stanton could be there as early as midseason. They'll be able to pay Jenks, especially if they deal Uggla this offseason.

QUOTE (daggins @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 02:57 PM)
tru, tru

Truth be told the market isn't looking good for moving Jenksy.

It probably wasn't that bad before the calf injury. But that may have been the last straw.

The problem with Jenks is that it makes little sense to trade him for anything but a ML-ready player at this point. But I get the feeling that Kenny would have to package him with somebody like Flowers to make that happen. And I don't want to move Flowers, unless it's for somebody like Crawford or Dunn AND that they sign a contract extension as part of the deal. I just don't see all of that happening.