Who should the Sox trade for this winter?

GreatScott82

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 04:55 PM)
The Marlins need a closer. Unlike the Nationals, the Marlins have a lot of talent on the field. Mike Stanton (one of the best prospects in all of baseball) is on his way too.

The Marlins also had a 36 million dollar payroll in 2009. Pretty sure they won't increase that amount enough to make paying Bobby a smart move. No team is going to want to pay their closer 15+% of payroll.

I should add - unless he is a top 5 in baseball closer like joe nathan or mo rivera. then, maybe.

Edited by daggins

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daggins @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 05:01 PM)
The Marlins also had a 36 million dollar payroll in 2009. Pretty sure they won't increase that amount enough to make paying Bobby a smart move. No team is going to want to pay their closer 15+% of payroll.

I should add - unless he is a top 5 in baseball closer like joe nathan or mo rivera. then, maybe.

Trading Jenks for Ross adds about $3M to their payroll if Ross gets $4M in arb and Jenks gets $7M, both of which I'd say are very likely. Removing $2.25M in Hermida pays for that.

You can't use the salary % excuse when you're talking about a team with a payroll like the Marlins. They gave 10% of their payroll to Jorge Cantu last year.

I might be totally wrong but I just can't picture a notoriously thrifty team shelling out for a player with question marks like Jenks. I imagine they will fill gaps internally or with cheap FA like usual.

A little Marlins-probing...

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/...=7&cxcat=46

A closer deal isn't impossible, mind you, but it just seems unlikely.

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 05:54 PM)
White Sox need to make a trade for Prince Fielder. Power lefty, DH, young, available. Add him to our lineup and we should look good.

2 years away from free agency, Boras client, expensive in terms of talent required to acquire him.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 05:32 PM)
Werth seems to me to be the guy who is just due for an offensive regression, but hasn't so far.

The issue with Werth is...he's the Phillies only RH bat in the middle of that lineup. Maybe they'd do something like moving him if they got a good offer, but that offer is going to have to include a RH bat.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 06:17 PM)
The issue with Werth is...he's the Phillies only RH bat in the middle of that lineup. Maybe they'd do something like moving him if they got a good offer, but that offer is going to have to include a RH bat.

I imagine that they'd want Beckham, or perhaps Quentin and somebody like Flowers. No thanks.

Why does everybody wanna give up on fatboy so fast? Dude has been nothing short of phenomenal since his arrival. He seemed a little shaky this year, but let's give him another look see. We almost have to since his stock is the lowest it has been since we snagged him up. Our bullpen becomes awful if we get rid of him. In the 9th inning of a 1 run, pressure packed situation, I still trust Bobby more than Matt; although the margin between the two is slimming (hopefully like fatboy this offseason).

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 08:29 PM)
We don't have the bullets anyway.

I agree. Seems like it would take all the bullets. We do need to go for it starting this year though, and to make me happy, all we need is a super stud outfielder and a bullpen piece. Super stud. I really want that Coughlan guy from Florida, based solely on ESPNs stats.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 08:26 PM)
Why does everybody wanna give up on fatboy so fast? Dude has been nothing short of phenomenal since his arrival. He seemed a little shaky this year, but let's give him another look see. We almost have to since his stock is the lowest it has been since we snagged him up. Our bullpen becomes awful if we get rid of him. In the 9th inning of a 1 run, pressure packed situation, I still trust Bobby more than Matt; although the margin between the two is slimming (hopefully like fatboy this offseason).

I think it's more an issue of financial flexibility. Jenks should make at least $7M in arbitration and the Sox aren't going to be hiking up the payroll. They'll have limited funds after the Rios and Peavy deals, plus arb to Carrasco, Pena, Quentin, and Danks with raises coming to Floyd and Thornton. Konerko will be hard to move without taking on a bad contract or eating salary and Linebrink will be almost impossible to move without taking on an equal bad contract. Jenks is the most logical candidate to be traded in order to free up payroll. I don't necessarily think the Sox are down on him at all.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 09:26 PM)

Living up to your SN huh?

I like the financial flexibility angle you're going with here. I agree with all of it, but how do we know we cannot afford him? Maybe Jerry opens his pockets this winter in order to go for it. This pitching staff is as good and as safe a bet as any this team has probably ever had. We need Bobby in that bullpen.

Out of curiosity, where did you get the 7 million number? Could it be less based on his shaky performance this year, maybe round 4 mil?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 09:11 PM)
I like the financial flexibility angle you're going with here. I agree with all of it, but how do we know we cannot afford him? Maybe Jerry opens his pockets this winter in order to go for it. This pitching staff is as good and as safe a bet as any this team has probably ever had. We need Bobby in that bullpen.

Out of curiosity, where did you get the 7 million number? Could it be less based on his shaky performance this year, maybe round 4 mil?

In general that's about what he'd be expected to get. He set a first-year arbitration record for closers of $5.(something) million last year that was broken the same day by Papelbon, who got a bit more. If Jenks had a great year he'd probably be in line for $8-9M but because he had a down year a good, conservative estimate would be about $7M. No one knows for sure, but I'd be absolutely shocked if he got less than $7M.

The arbitration numbers are based off a few things. Each side (player's agent and the team) will submit a figure to an arbitrator and then the arbitrator will pick one side, and it's based on other things too like market conditions and previous contracts. Closers are still getting paid out the ass so it's unlikely that the Sox would offer anything less than about $6.5M if it went to arb, and Jenks' side would probably be around the $8M mark or so. The Sox practically never go to arbitration (I can't even remember a time when they did offhand) so the two sides will probably settle somewhere around the $7M mark without going to arb. So it's just a guess, but a very good one that has been repeated elsewhere.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 08:22 PM)
Fielder would be great if he'd accept an extension prior to the trade, but Boras makes that unlikely.

Do we have any Boras clients currently on the roster? God I hate dealing with that guy (it's even worse when you find out the Cubs sent him to law school, because he broke his leg in their farm system).

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 08:29 PM)
We don't have the bullets anyway.

We do, it's just that it'd be a gutting the farm system move (you'd have to give up Hudson-Torres-Hynick-Viciedo-Flowers-Shelby) and you might need to include Nix. It could be worth it, or it could not. Only prospect on my protected list is D2 (because of Danks resigning) and then I explore every way possible to not have to include Hudson.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 08:29 AM)
Do you guys see us going for a powerhitting 1b in the draft?

In a perfect world, yes. However, there are no really ideal candidates in the 1st round of next year’s draft. There’s a lot of pitching, and a lot of good High School infield bats, but that’s about it, right now.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 01:40 PM)
In a perfect world, yes. However, there are no really ideal candidates in the 1st round of next year’s draft. There’s a lot of pitching, and a lot of good High School infield bats, but that’s about it, right now.

Ahhh. Damn. I was hoping there were some Smoak clones.