Brad Hawpe?

bandits25

It would also allow them to play Dexter Fowler and Carlos Gonzalez every day, so I can see why they would want to trade him, given his massive defensive liability and 7.5 million salary. I wouldn't mind a trade for him, since you could hide his defense at DH, but a) it runs contrary to what KW seems to be planning for this team and b ) I don't know that the Sox have anything the Rocks want that badly. Hudson I guess.

Edited by daggins

No thanks on Hawpe for 7.5 id rather make a run at Nick Jonhson. If anyone from the rockies I think we need id make a run at Rafael Betancourt, hes a FA unless the rockies pick up a 5.4M option, probably wont happen. He could probably be signed for 2 years 5 mil.

I would be very surprised if we picked up an OF who made much of a salary at all. My guess is if we do make a trade, it will be for a young guy with some upside that is still cheap but for whatever reason his current organization is down on him.

I'll bet Kenny has tasked his scouts with finding the next Carlos Quentin.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 03:20 AM)
I would be very surprised if we picked up an OF who made much of a salary at all. My guess is if we do make a trade, it will be for a young guy with some upside that is still cheap but for whatever reason his current organization is down on him.

I'll bet Kenny has tasked his scouts with finding the next Carlos Quentin.

I could see Conor Jackson making his way over. Not really a power guy, but has a high OBP, and his three consecutive in ARZ when he was healthy his line was:

.292 BA, .371 OBP, averaged 14 home runs, 71 rbi and 4 stolen bases.

Can play LF and 1B.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 02:56 AM)
No thanks on Hawpe for 7.5 id rather make a run at Nick Jonhson. If anyone from the rockies I think we need id make a run at Rafael Betancourt, hes a FA unless the rockies pick up a 5.4M option, probably wont happen. He could probably be signed for 2 years 5 mil.

Nick Johnson makes sense as a low-cost OBP machine.

Hawpe is or will be clearly on the market, and I'm quite certain the Rockies will be willing to pick up part of his $7.5 MM salary. He will be sitting on the bench next year if he stays. He is not a dreadful fielder as an earlier poster said. He can cover ground adequately and has a way above average arm. I don't know why he tailed off so much in last half of this season, but that will decrease the price for him. It won't take much, and someone will jump on it. Rockies have a solid team, and I don't think they want to keep him around as a 4th or 5th outfielder.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 01:56 AM)

I do not want the human rain delay on this team. Ed Farmer might quit if we sign Betancourt.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 08:40 PM)
He is not a dreadful fielder as an earlier poster said. He can cover ground adequately and has a way above average arm.

Hawpe is nothing to shake a stick at, if you are trying to field a team full of defensive incomptence. After all, hawpe has recorded one of the worst fielding seasons in the past couple of decades. Sounds like a plan.

trade for hawpe or even atkins is a waste of roster space . I thought everyone here wants to win ? Also this nick johnson idea yeah great onbase guy who is hurt 80 percent of the time . Oh by the way we got onbase pretty good last year but we dont drive them in we need more rbi type guys i cant even count how many times we had 2 on or bases loaded with one or no outs and didnt score . COME ON PEOPLE if were going to trade lets go for a guy like adrian gonzales he is a gret onbase guy plus he will drive in runs . IF NOT HIM HOW ABOUT ADAM LIND ? Or russell branyan , adam dunn , hunter pence are all good possibilitys . We need a to go after gonzales the way we did M. CABRERA but detriot out bid us but that was a statement trade for detroit . NOW we need to make one . GO FOR KENNY go after gonzales we and you wont regret it . :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 07:28 AM)
I could see Conor Jackson making his way over. Not really a power guy, but has a high OBP, and his three consecutive in ARZ when he was healthy his line was:

Can play LF and 1B.

I like this idea. Versatile. Inexpensive. Low risk. Young. Put him in the middle of our lineup and he could probably drive in 100.

QUOTE (1977 sox fan @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 04:43 AM)
trade for hawpe or even atkins is a waste of roster space . I thought everyone here wants to win ? Also this nick johnson idea yeah great onbase guy who is hurt 80 percent of the time . Oh by the way we got onbase pretty good last year but we dont drive them in we need more rbi type guys i cant even count how many times we had 2 on or bases loaded with one or no outs and didnt score . COME ON PEOPLE if were going to trade lets go for a guy like adrian gonzales he is a gret onbase guy plus he will drive in runs . IF NOT HIM HOW ABOUT ADAM LIND ? Or russell branyan , adam dunn , hunter pence are all good possibilitys . We need a to go after gonzales the way we did M. CABRERA but detriot out bid us but that was a statement trade for detroit . NOW we need to make one . GO FOR KENNY go after gonzales we and you wont regret it . :gosoxretro:

Dude, someone's gotta teach you punctuation.

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 02:28 AM)

Can play LF and 1B.

I made a post about this in the Nick Johnson thread:

What would you think if KW dipped into that Diamondback well again and went after Conor Jackson? He could platoon with Kotsay (if he comes back) and could be the eventual replacement for Paulie after next year. He's not a stellar defensive player by any means which would make an attractive younger DH. The DBags will have to tender him a contract by mid-December (if they do, he likely will make something close to $2.5 million)...or Jackson will become a free agent. Kind of goes with the going young motif.

He's coming off Valley Fever but should be fine this next year.