**Official Phillies vs. Yankees Thread**

knightni

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 10:14 PM)
So why didn't they win it all last year? Or the year before that or the year before that or the year before that?

As, I recall last year they didn’t have Teixeira, Sabathia, Burnett and Swish. There's no strategy to what the Yankee do, their resources insure competition. Money doesn't necessarily buy championships, but (if managed somewhat competently) they insure almost totally that a team will be in the position to do so. Buying the best players is neither graceful, nor particularly shocking or impressive, it simply works. It doesn't make what the Yankee do right, and it doesn't make me fond of seeing them win year in and year out. I think it's possible to win with limited resources, I just think there's an inherent disadvantage therein.

Edited by Thunderbolt

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 07:22 PM)
As, I recall last year they didn’t have Teixeira, Sabathia, Burnett and Swish. There’s no strategy to what the Yankee do, their resources insure competition. Money doesn’t necessarily buy championships, but (if managed somewhat competently) they insure almost totally that a team will be in the position to do so. Buying the best players is neither graceful, nor particularly shocking or impressive, it simply works. It doesn’t male what the Yankee do right, and it doesn’t make me fond of seeing them win year in and year out. I think it’s possible to win with limited resources, I just think there’s an inherent disadvantage therein.

It's also worth noting that only 1 team that was outside the top 13 or so salaries in baseball make the playoffs this year, the Twins. (Also, the Cardinals were at 13 and they added a lot of salary mid-season so I'm not sure if that's counted in the total I looked at). OUt of the bottom 17 teams in salary, only the Twins, and only in the weakest division in MLB, made the playoffs.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 09:22 PM)
As, I recall last year they didn’t have Teixeira, Sabathia, Burnett and Swish. There’s no strategy to what the Yankee do, their resources insure competition. Money doesn’t necessarily buy championships, but (if managed somewhat competently) they insure almost totally that a team will be in the position to do so. Buying the best players is neither graceful, nor particularly shocking or impressive, it simply works. It doesn’t male what the Yankee do right, and it doesn’t make me fond of seeing them win year in and year out. I think it’s possible to win with limited resources, I just think there’s an inherent disadvantage therein.

All that's fine. But with all the whining about their payroll (not singling you out. I'm talking everybody in general), you would think they were going on their 9th straight title. I just find it annoying to continually complain about their payroll. They do what they do because they can. It's not against the rules. How many times just on this board has KW been referred to as 'cheap'? Yet we all hate the Yankees because they spend more than everybody else.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 07:30 PM)
All that's fine. But with all the whining about their payroll (not singling you out. I'm talking everybody in general), you would think they were going on their 9th straight title. I just find it annoying to continually complain about their payroll. They do what they do because they can. It's not against the rules. How many times just on this board has KW been referred to as 'cheap'? Yet we all hate the Yankees because they spend more than everybody else.

Saying its not against the rules doesn't really make sense when we're mostly suggesting that we want the rules changed.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 09:30 PM)

You do realize that the Yankees resetting the curve for salaries has an adverse affect on the rest of baseball as they try to figure out how to keep up, and lose their players in the meantime, right?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 09:28 PM)
It's also worth noting that only 1 team that was outside the top 13 or so salaries in baseball make the playoffs this year, the Twins. (Also, the Cardinals were at 13 and they added a lot of salary mid-season so I'm not sure if that's counted in the total I looked at). OUt of the bottom 17 teams in salary, only the Twins, and only in the weakest division in MLB, made the playoffs.

Of the top 8 payrolls in the league, only 3 missed the playoffs, the Tigers collapsed and still made it to game 163, the Mets lost like their top 5 players to injury, and the Cubs were incompetent and thought Milton Bradley was the key to a ring.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 10:30 PM)

This is just how baseball is. The Yankees win about once every four years. This is in over a century of play, so nobody should be surprised. It's just how the game is. We've been fortunate that it's taken them 10 years this time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 09:55 PM)
You do realize that the Yankees resetting the curve for salaries has an adverse affect on the rest of baseball as they try to figure out how to keep up, and lose their players in the meantime, right?

And the Yankees should care about that why? Would you care if the White Sox were the ones with the 200+ million dollar payroll? I don't have a problem with the Yankees. My beef is with baseball (I.E. we need a cap).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 09:53 PM)
Saying its not against the rules doesn't really make sense when we're mostly suggesting that we want the rules changed.

Again, that's fine. But the system is in place now. The Yankees make a s***load of loot and put it right back into the team. Isn't that what any fan of any team would want?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 08:27 PM)
Again, that's fine. But the system is in place now. The Yankees make a s***load of loot and put it right back into the team. Isn't that what any fan of any team would want?

The question is...is that the best thing for the sport?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 10:26 PM)
And the Yankees should care about that why? Would you care if the White Sox were the ones with the 200+ million dollar payroll? I don't have a problem with the Yankees. My beef is with baseball (I.E. we need a cap).

The Yankees don't care about that, but about 29 other teams do. That is the entire point.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 10:27 PM)

Actually the probably don't. I would bet they are the most profitable franchise in American sports right now.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:01 AM)
For some reason I have grown to dislike Teixeira a lot during this postseason. Something about him wants me to punch him.

Might have something to do with him being a greedy bastard. Even removing the Yankee's stint, Tex and Boras make quite the money-grabbing team. So, i'm listening to Your Love trying to recapture some baseball good feelings. Pleased to say it's working.

I still think that was a boring series. The only feel good moment for me is Rivera. He's so durable, consistent. It's fun to watch him pitch. Just like starters can learn from watching Buehrle work, relievers could learn a lot watching Rivera.

He's a god.

I hope the Phillies are done for a while; no need to see them in the WS again unless we are playing and beating them.