How close is Jordan Danks

balfanman

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,4709685.story

I thought that this article in the Tribune had some good information. My question is (from someone who has never seen him play) "How close to the majors is Jordan Danks?"

Maybe his wrist injury held him back quite a bit last season.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (balfanman @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-091102-cubs-white-sox-afl,0,4709685.story

I thought that this article in the Tribune had some good information. My question is (from someone who has never seen him play) "How close to the majors is Jordan Danks?"

Maybe his wrist injury held him back quite a bit last season.

Balfan, the above link doesn't work. Can you try and fix it?

QUOTE (Cali @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 10:39 AM)
I'd say he has a chance with a strong ST. Especially with the Sox claiming they want to get more atheltic and more speed and defense. He fits the mold perfectly.

He's not ready yet, I'm 100% convinced. You can tell from his stat line last year; not just the struggles in the 2nd half, but he had a glaring weakness the whole year; his strikeout total was way too high. His single-A average and slugging were great because he put up a .400+ BABIP. Now, I know all the caveats that go with that; he was likely hitting a lot of balls hard, but reality is, when you move upwards, the pitchers get better at finding ways to push that down. Even the best big league hitters are no where near that. When he got to AA, yes he was probably dealing with a lot of injuries, but his BABIP also dropped to more human levels, and suddenly he was in a gigantic slump.

He simply needs to put the ball in play more. He struck out 102 times in 402 ab's this year. In a full season, those are Ryan Howard/Adam Dunn type numbers, and D2 the mighty Danks isn't going to hit 40 home runs for us.

Again, I want to emphasize that I do not know, I'm just asking. Wouldn't the fact that he was originally drafted in 2005, but instead of going pro chose to have 3 years of college ball, be the equivalent of having a couple more seasons of minor league training.

I would also think that since the Sox did send him to Arizona, where he is performing fairly well, means that they think that he's a little closer than 2 years away. Didn't he have a fairly significant wrist injury that probably greatly affected his numbers this past season?

QUOTE (balfanman @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 01:37 PM)
Again, I want to emphasize that I do not know, I'm just asking. Wouldn't the fact that he was originally drafted in 2005, but instead of going pro chose to have 3 years of college ball, be the equivalent of having a couple more seasons of minor league training.

I would also think that since the Sox did send him to Arizona, where he is performing fairly well, means that they think that he's a little closer than 2 years away. Didn't he have a fairly significant wrist injury that probably greatly affected his numbers this past season?

You are correct on all of these. However, that doesn't rid us of the biggest issue, the strikeouts. He was striking out on the same pace in A+ as in AA, so we can't blame that on the wrist I think 2k5 is right; it's plausible he could get a look in September of next year if he has a solid year at AA. But he needs to make a lot more contact of MLB pitching is going to eat him alive and he'll never hit over .250.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 05:09 PM)
You are correct on all of these. However, that doesn't rid us of the biggest issue, the strikeouts. He was striking out on the same pace in A+ as in AA, so we can't blame that on the wrist I think 2k5 is right; it's plausible he could get a look in September of next year if he has a solid year at AA. But he needs to make a lot more contact of MLB pitching is going to eat him alive and he'll never hit over .250.

Obviously this depends on any off season acquisitions, but if he is ready defensively, why not bring him up and bat him ninth, he can't hit any worse than Anderson.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 07:54 PM)
He's not ready yet, I'm 100% convinced. You can tell from his stat line last year; not just the struggles in the 2nd half, but he had a glaring weakness the whole year; his strikeout total was way too high. His single-A average and slugging were great because he put up a .400+ BABIP. Now, I know all the caveats that go with that; he was likely hitting a lot of balls hard, but reality is, when you move upwards, the pitchers get better at finding ways to push that down. Even the best big league hitters are no where near that. When he got to AA, yes he was probably dealing with a lot of injuries, but his BABIP also dropped to more human levels, and suddenly he was in a gigantic slump.

He simply needs to put the ball in play more. He struck out 102 times in 402 ab's this year. In a full season, those are Ryan Howard/Adam Dunn type numbers, and D2 the mighty Danks isn't going to hit 40 home runs for us.

At least a year away and maybe 2 wouldn't you say?

Alot of people didn't think Beckham was ready either. I'm not saying Danks is ready, I'm just saying.

I think it takes a great spring training and take that into June for us to consider bringing him up. And even then he'd have to have a spot available.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 06:06 PM)
Alot of people didn't think Beckham was ready either. I'm not saying Danks is ready, I'm just saying.

I think it takes a great spring training and take that into June for us to consider bringing him up. And even then he'd have to have a spot available.

There is a big gap between their numbers.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 07:18 PM)
Beckham wasn't striking out 40% of the times he came to the plate. That's a huge difference.

Danks only struck out 25% of the time in Birmingham... still too much but improving.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 12:43 PM)
Danks has about a zero chance of making the team this spring. That being said, if he has a good summer next year, I could see him getting a cup of coffee in September. That is the soonest I see him having a chance at making it.

Buddy Bell has said that he's ready defensively and very close to ready offensively. Now I'm not saying the Sox will go with him, but from what has been quoted, the brass believes he's knocking on the door.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 07:47 PM)
Buddy Bell has said that he's ready defensively and very close to ready offensively. Now I'm not saying the Sox will go with him, but from what has been quoted, the brass believes he's knocking on the door.

Like I said, with a solid season in the minors, I think we see him in September. He still has some significant work to do.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 05:52 PM)
Like I said, with a solid season in the minors, I think we see him in September. He still has some significant work to do.

BUT....they're going to keep that in mind when signing FA's this offseason to fill that OF spot, that I'll bet.