How close is Jordan Danks

balfanman

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 07:51 PM)
For comparison's sake Josh Fields first time at Bham he went just under 30%, and Borchard was at about 30.5%. Jordan was at 25.7%. Better numbers comparatively, but he needs to improve.

Really, the percentage is lower than that. 25.7% is K/AB, which is unfair because you aren't counting walks. A walk is a plate appearance where he had a chance to strike out and did not so those should be counted as well. Jordan had a very good walk rate so that will make the K rate better. It should be K/(AB+BB). For Jordan that's 22.7%. Fields was 26.7%. Borchard 27.1%. Meanwhile Brian Anderson was only 14.7% (jumped to 23.3% in AAA). So yes, Jordan needs to improve his contact rate, but we are dealing with a really small sample size. We have only one full year, half of which he had an injured wrist. We don't know if he was going to or did make improvements, but wasn't healthy. During his tiny sample size in the AFL he's only Kd 10 times in 65 PA (15.3%, not counting tonight's game in action). Strikeouts should be a concern, but not a major worry yet IMO.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 08:24 PM)
BUT....they're going to keep that in mind when signing FA's this offseason to fill that OF spot, that I'll bet.

Agree.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 08:47 PM)
And that would be a mistake.

No it wouldn't. Why be pushed into 3+ years on a declining player when you have a prospect only 1-2 years away? If Kenny looks to the market for a FA, he should ideally look for a 1 year deal with an option. Especially with this year's class of players in their mid-30's and above.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 08:51 PM)
That sounds nothing like Kenny Williams to me. If he thinks it will make the team better today, he will do it.

He said signing, not trading for. If there's a guy out there on the trading block who would project as our starting RF or CF for the next 3+ years then he's not going to worry about Jordan's presence, and I don't think he'd worry about including Jordan in that deal either. But when it comes to FA he will be as cautious as he normally has been, if not more so given the ages of the players out there.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 09:46 PM)
Planning a teams future based on a prospect is a receipt for disaster. See the center field situation with Anderson.

Also, you created the 3 yea+ scenario, I didn't. I'm not proposing the Sox sign guys to bad deals just for the hell of it. However, if you are proposing the Sox shouldn't sign someone because of a prospect that put up average numbers in AA, I believe thats a mistake, and a bad way to do business.

The CF situation was a disaster because the Sox admittedly called up a CF prospect who wasn't ready. They said he was just there for his D, and then they threw him under the bus when he didn't hit.

The following year they had three choices: 1) either play Anderson everyday if they felt he was ready, 2) bring in a stop-gap for a year or so if Anderson wasn't ready, with Anderson playing everyday in the minors and working on his swing, 3) acquire a multi-year option. What did they do? They brought in a stop-gap, but then they benched Anderson for the first part of the season, and they never looked for anything long-term.

The year after that, 2008, they traded for a corner OF/1B to play CF. So they still didn't address the issue. After 2006, Anderson didn't get another extended opportunity to play in CF until 2009, and Anderson did NOT spend 2007-2008 developing in the minors, so clearly they didn't see Anderson as a solution, but yet they didn't acquire a solution until they picked up Rios in August.

The CF situation did not have ***ANYTHING*** to do with pinning their hopes on a prospect. The CF situation was due to some of the worst organizational mismanagement we've seen from this team in the last decade. The Sox did nothing but f*** it up from 2006-2009. They went to a guy who wasn't ready, then through their actions said he was never in their plans, and yet they still failed to address the issue until 3 and a half seasons later.

ATM the Sox shouldn't view Jordan as being ready until 2012. Even if he's ready in 2011, they should attempt to create a situation where Jordan has to work himself in by proving in the minors that he is worthier of an opportunity than whatever veteran we have there at the time. That's why I said 3+ years. And I'm not saying we should use Jordan's presence as a reason not to sign anyone, I'm saying we should look at Jordan and think about what he could give us in 2011 and 2012 and weigh that against what we would be paying for. For example, if we were considering signing Damon as a LF with CQ going to RF, that $6-7M or whatever Damon would ask for is going to help the offense, but it is going to make two OF positions weak defensively, and at least Jordan at the minimum makes our defense a ton better. So would the offensive value of Damon's 2 year+ contract be so much greater than Jordan's production that it would be worth the hits on defense? That's the kind of thing they need to "keep in mind," like the other poster stated.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 01:47 AM)
Buddy Bell has said that he's ready defensively and very close to ready offensively. Now I'm not saying the Sox will go with him, but from what has been quoted, the brass believes he's knocking on the door.

No disagreement on that. I guess only time will tell and we will see what happens in ST 2010. When is that by the way?

Danks should have no impact on this offseason. Like someone said above, counting on Jordan for anything is a recipe for disaster. Just too many unknowns with this guy.

I think the proper play is to trade for a stud RBI outfielder and sign Pods. Pods/CQ/Rios/new guy can rotate outfield and DH.

Let Jordan get his cup of coffee this September, and in 2011 slide CQ to DH permanently. We'll be in the same predicament next offseason, but maybe Danks will have proven enough to earn the 3rd outfield spot next to Rios and the new guy.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 02:03 PM)
Cowley with the slightly less informative:

"Jordan Danks ... C'MON DOWN!!!"

http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/5484704492

I tried Cowley's feed for a while, but its 95% him spewing annoying garbage like that. He apparently thinks it entertaining or something. I'd rather have actual information.

I'm telling you guys, the Sox brass loves Danks. He's a phenomenal athlete and a tremendous defensive player. Offensively he has flaws to his game, but quite a bit of overall upside.

I think it might be a bit early, but the Sox could do far worse than going with Danks. The problem is if you get Danks, you need to get a pretty big time bat as your DH, imo.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
I'm telling you guys, the Sox brass loves Danks. He's a phenomenal athlete and a tremendous defensive player. Offensively he has flaws to his game, but quite a bit of overall upside.

I think it might be a bit early, but the Sox could do far worse than going with Danks. The problem is if you get Danks, you need to get a pretty big time bat as your DH, imo.

I don't think that Danks is ready yet offensively and needs at least half a season in AA/AAA. IMO, the Sox need to sign a legit RF to fill one of the holes in the lineup and then sign a cheap, high-upside guy for the DH spot towards the end of the offseason. If the second guy doesn't work out, Danks might be ready for a mid-summer call-up. Then you shift Carlos to DH and hopefully would have spectacular defense at all 3 spots. I just don't think counting on Danks at the beginning of the season makes sense.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 01:25 PM)
I don't think that Danks is ready yet offensively and needs at least half a season in AA/AAA. IMO, the Sox need to sign a legit RF to fill one of the holes in the lineup and then sign a cheap, high-upside guy for the DH spot towards the end of the offseason. If the second guy doesn't work out, Danks might be ready for a mid-summer call-up. Then you shift Carlos to DH and hopefully would have spectacular defense at all 3 spots. I just don't think counting on Danks at the beginning of the season makes sense.

What do you think of LaRoche?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)
What do you think of LaRoche?

I definitely think he's a guy who could be available for cheap near the end of the offseason who has some nice upside. He should give you at least 20 homeruns, 35 doubles and a solid AVG/OBP. The fact that he's a lefty is huge, since it allows you to get the best OF possible for the other spot. Also, being able to play 1B would protect us in case of a Konerko injury. One other thing I like about him is how he played for ATL down the stretch. He's another guy like Teahen who might thrive in a competitive environment.

How much do you think he'll get on the open market?

I don't think he'll get too big of a contract and could be a great value. He's got nice power, hits from the left side, and seems to be coming into his own. Even if we don't move Paulie I think he'd be a nice value pick-up as a DH and that his lefty bat would help stabilize the lineup.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
I don't think he'll get too big of a contract and could be a great value. He's got nice power, hits from the left side, and seems to be coming into his own. Even if we don't move Paulie I think he'd be a nice value pick-up as a DH and that his lefty bat would help stabilize the lineup.

I'm still not convinced he can hit anywhere outside of Atlanta. I vaguely recall him being like Olivo on the day we traded him when he was dealt to Pittsburgh. Suddenly he gets traded back where he wanted to be and he catches fire. Just wonder if that isn't a comfort thing for him.