Sox GM Meetings

SoxAce

QUOTE (beck72 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
The sox could very well be looking at this type of lineup in 2010. Can't say I'm overly impressed. But it would be an upgrade defensively.

1. [DH] Scott Podsednik

2. [2B] Gordon Beckham

3. [LF] Carlos Quentin

4. [1b] Paul Konerko

5. [C] AJ Pierzynski

6. [CF] Alex Rios

7. [3b] Mark Teahen

8. [sS] Alexei Ramirez

9. [RF] Jordan Danks

Bench:

Tyler Flowers

Jayson Nix

Mark Kotsay

De Aza

That has the potential to be a truly terrible lineup, like bottom of baseball bad.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)
Honestly, considering his health, Quentin should really be moved to DH.

How sad is that we have to consider moving our young LF to DH because he's so fragile. I'm starting to wonder if the villain in "Unbreakable" was loosely based on Quentin.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 04:24 PM)
I agree. But with the way things are looking, esp. at the payroll, I have a hard time seeing the sox making many more changes than that.

Not gonna happen, but net Doc Halliday.. you can live with that lineup. :lol:

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 04:22 PM)
How sad is that we have to consider moving our young LF to DH because he's so fragile. I'm starting to wonder if the villain in "Unbreakable" was loosely based on Quentin.

In his 2 years with the Sox Quentin has had one non-self inflicted injury which happened to be an ailment that lingers for months with the only real cure being rest. People are getting seriously carried away with the "fragile" tag.

So in his career he's had a shoulder problem that dated back to his college days, a hamstring injury that held him out for less than a month in '07, he punched a bat/locker/wall in '08 and contracted Plantar Fasciitis in '09. If he tears his ACL next year I'll jump on board but right now there's no reason to believe he needs to be protected at the DH position.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 04:29 PM)
So in his career he's had a shoulder problem that dated back to his college days, a hamstring injury that held him out for less than a month in '07, he punched a bat/locker/wall in '08 and contracted Plantar Fasciitis in '09. If he tears his ACL next year I'll jump on board but right now there's no reason to believe he needs to be protected at the DH position.

I guess sixth years' the charm in Kalapse's eyes.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 11:29 PM)
In his 2 years with the Sox Quentin has had one non-self inflicted injury which happened to be an ailment that lingers for months with the only real cure being rest. People are getting seriously carried away with the "fragile" tag.

If the sox did add Pods, it would be mostly for DH, but Quentin could see some time there as well. Yet I'm not overly concerned about Quentin's health. There isn't a lot of reason to be extra cautious with him at his age and health status

QUOTE (beck72 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 11:34 PM)
If the sox did add Pods, it would be mostly for DH, but Quentin could see some time there as well. Yet I'm not overly concerned about Quentin's health. There isn't a lot of reason to be extra cautious with him at his age and health status

I can't imagine that Pods would be a great choice for DH though. You're going to want better than a career .720 OPS at that spot.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 10:36 PM)
I can't imagine that Pods would be a great choice for DH though. You're going to want better than a career .720 OPS at that spot.

I'm thinking more that Pods' bat would look good at the leadoff spot, with close to a .300 avg. and .350 OBP. I don't want him in the OF.

Now, if Randy Winn could get back to his 2007 or 2008 form, I could see him playing RF, and the sox adding a power LH bat for DH.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 02:45 AM)
Are we the Twins? Because that's a Twins-like offseason, and as bad as it looks right now, I can't see the Sox being that inept. If so, Kenny will be wondering aloud yet again why the fans aren't showing up. Is it because of the economy? Is it because I built a s***ty baseball team? Hmmmm......
As of right now the Twins have a better lineup especially 1-7 plus they should have slowey and perkins back plus others . As of now they have a better overall team then we do .

QUOTE (sayitaintso @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 05:20 PM)
I just threw up in my mouth...

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 05:21 PM)
That has the potential to be a truly terrible lineup, like bottom of baseball bad.

Please explain why this would be that bad? 2-8 all have the potential to hit .270 with 20 HR and 70 RBI and who knows what D2 can do and if we have the pods of last year we're fine. esp. with this staff, i would like to see the addition of one more bopper but i honestly think if we put that out there next year and our starting staff stays healthy we'll be fine.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)
The sox could very well be looking at this type of lineup in 2010. Can't say I'm overly impressed. But it would be an upgrade defensively.

1. [DH] Scott Podsednik

2. [2B] Gordon Beckham

3. [LF] Carlos Quentin

4. [1b] Paul Konerko

5. [C] AJ Pierzynski

6. [CF] Alex Rios

7. [3b] Mark Teahen

8. [sS] Alexei Ramirez

9. [RF] Jordan Danks

Bench:

Tyler Flowers

Jayson Nix

Mark Kotsay

De Aza

Yuck.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 06:15 AM)

1. [DH] Scott Podsednik

2. [2B] Gordon Beckham

3. [LF] Carlos Quentin

4. [1b] Paul Konerko

5. [C] AJ Pierzynski

6. [CF] Alex Rios

7. [3b] Mark Teahen

8. [sS] Alexei Ramirez

9. [RF] Jordan Danks

Bench:

Tyler Flowers

Jayson Nix

Mark Kotsay

De Aza

looks like 79 wins to me

Even if everything works in that offense, it's not going to outscore the Yankees. But that's not how this team is built next year; if we fill those other 2 spots with average performance somehow, if we're going to the playoffs, we're going there because we have the best 1-6 starting pitching staff in the AL and we're scoring enough runs.

What we need to do is get to teh "Enough" runs point. In 2005 we were 9/14 in the AL in runs scored. In 2009 we were 12/14. That's a fair bit worse, and we need to recover from that. Quentin recovering and giving us a full season, a full season of Beckham, a normal season from Rios, etc., could accomplish that as long as we don't have a complete black hole somewhere. Get me back to that middle-of-the pack range and then our offense can win with this starting staff.

That assumes, of course, that the bullpen doesn't implode.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)

1. [DH] Scott Podsednik

2. [2B] Gordon Beckham

3. [LF] Carlos Quentin

4. [1b] Paul Konerko

5. [C] AJ Pierzynski

6. [CF] Alex Rios

7. [3b] Mark Teahen

8. [sS] Alexei Ramirez

9. [RF] Jordan Danks

Bench:

Tyler Flowers

Jayson Nix

Mark Kotsay

De Aza

Please no. As much as I believe in getting some guys that hit doubles and can go 1st to 3rd...that offense would be rancid, even in the NL. The Sox will need to get at least one guy that can hit homeruns to either play DH, RF or 3B, preferably 2 guys. Despite his need for speed...KW has to know they need some pop in the lineup to win.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 05:58 PM)
Even if everything works in that offense, it's not going to outscore the Yankees. But that's not how this team is built next year; if we fill those other 2 spots with average performance somehow, if we're going to the playoffs, we're going there because we have the best 1-6 starting pitching staff in the AL and we're scoring enough runs.

What we need to do is get to teh "Enough" runs point. In 2005 we were 9/15 in the AL in runs scored. In 2009 we were 12/15. That's a fair bit worse, and we need to recover from that. Quentin recovering and giving us a full season, a full season of Beckham, a normal season from Rios, etc., could accomplish that as long as we don't have a complete black hole somewhere. Get me back to that middle-of-the pack range and then our offense can win with this starting staff.

That assumes, of course, that the bullpen doesn't implode.

Couldn't agree more.

Excellent.