Sox GM Meetings

SoxAce

Who knows.. maybe something can happen or be a jump start to something before the December meetings. :lol: Still interesting none-the-less.

General managers' meetings give Chicago White Sox opportunity to deal

Some interesting tidbits.

"Surprisingly, there has been more conversation throughout the playoffs and World Series than I ever remember," Williams said Friday after announcing the acquisition of Mark Teahen from the Royals.

"To be able to do something prior to the GM meetings, and have substantial talks on major things is surprising, but certainly welcome to me. We did our groundwork quite some time ago."

The deal for Teahen leaves the Sox with less than $20 million to spend on the balance of the roster, and Williams has ruled out the signing of a marquee free agent, which scratches Chone Figgins off the wish list.

The Rays are expected to pick up the $10 million option on Carl Crawford, so the Sox might need some creativity unless they can re-sign Podsednik at a price they want.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sporting News reporting Sox among suitors for Halladay. Does that make sense to anyone?

GM meetings

Sporting News staff reports

Comments (0)More

Login or register to post commentsPrinter-friendly versionMonday, Nov. 9, 2009 - 3:22 p.m. ET

As the general manager meetings get under way in Chicago, Blue Jays righthander Roy Halladay and Padres first baseman Adrian Gonzalez will be among the most sought-after trade targets.

The Toronto Star speculates the Rangers, Phillies, Angels, Dodgers, Cubs, White Sox, Rockies, Astros, Mets and Tigers are the teams expected to make a run at Halladay. A deal could come by the end of next month's winter meetings.

Halladay was the subject of plenty of trade talk before the July 31 nonwaiver trading deadline this season, but no team met then-general manager J.P. Ricciardi's asking price. New general manager Alex Anthopoulos told the Star that he is open-minded to making a deal and that "I think (Halladay) stressed that his timeline for winning and ours may not mesh and may not match."

The availability of Gonzalez will be another hot topic at the GM meetings. The San Diego Union-Tribune noted Gonzalez hit .285 with 130 homers and 400 RBIs in his first four full major league seasons, and he is owed only $10.25 million over the next two seasons. After that, however, he likely will be priced out of the Padres' plans.

A source told the newspaper it is a matter of when (not if) the team will deal Gonzalez. And there already might be signs that a trade is coming. According to the Union-Tribune, the Padres didn't include Gonzalez on a brochure mailed to prospective season-ticket buyers and haven't begun talks about a long-term extension.

The Red Sox, Dodgers and Mariners all have expressed interest in Gonzalez.

The White Sox have 4 big cogs in the rotation followed up by Freddy Garcia manning the 5 spot and Hudson doing whatever the organization wants him to do. The White Sox have right around $20 mill to spend. Roy Halladay makes around $16 mill.

No, that doesn't make sense.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 05:37 PM)
The White Sox have 4 big cogs in the rotation followed up by Freddy Garcia manning the 5 spot and Hudson doing whatever the organization wants him to do. The White Sox have right around $20 mill to spend. Roy Halladay makes around $16 mill.

No, that doesn't make sense.

Yea, I didnt understand that either, maybe for Gonzalez but for Halladay just seems like they saw the list from last season's trade deadline and regurgitated it.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)
If the Sox have less than $20M to spend right now then expect the payroll to be right at $90M on opening day.

Depends on how they're counting the arb guys, doesn't it?

I just get the feeling there's got to be a little more flexibility than these guys are letting on, otherwise that Teahen deal makes less sense.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 03:43 PM)
It would be the best rotation of all time but there would be no one to hit the ball.

Halladay-Peavy-Buehrle-Floyd-Danks.. Jesus.. I don't care if our offense blew chunks and we played the rookies Danks2 and Flowers everyday (or even Lillibridge everyday), we are not being touched. KW is always thinking big regardless if it happens. Even with talks about him, Hudson is as good as gone though I doubt we have enough or even really made a run for it.

I'm not surprised to see the Sox name come up for Halladay...

Because we have what Toronto wants in return... young, cheap. and talented starting pitching (like Floyd or Danks)

Don't think we'll do that sort of deal unless Kenny gets really creative on other payroll issues.

But... I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility either.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 03:44 PM)
Halladay-Peavy-Buehrle-Floyd-Danks.. Jesus.. I don't care if our offense blew chunks and we played the rookies Danks2 and Flowers everyday (or even Lillibridge everyday), we are not being touched. KW is always thinking big regardless if it happens. Even with talks about him, Hudson is as good as gone though I doubt we have enough or even really made a run for it.

I would. I'd have a huge problem with that. You also can't ignore the fact that Halladay is not a free agent, you'd have to relinquish a whole hell of a lot of talent in order to acquire him.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 01:48 PM)
I would. I'd have a huge problem with that. You also can't ignore the fact that Halladay is not a free agent, you'd have to relinquish a whole hell of a lot of talent in order to acquire him.

And Halladay is also a FA after next year, and is likely to get a really good offer from someone if he stays healthy

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 03:57 PM)
I'd rather go after Holliday (he's a free agent, right? maybe I am wrong) than Halladay.

Bora$. That's even less unlikely.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 03:48 PM)

Win your W.S. first, deal with the other crap later. :D

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 03:44 PM)
Halladay-Peavy-Buehrle-Floyd-Danks.. Jesus..

Good God don't play with my emotions like that....

I know it's just a pipe dream, but would that be fun to watch or what? Throw that pitching staff up against the yanks in a 5 or 7 game series and watch them crap their pants :lolhitting

Edited by Chet Kincaid

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 01:59 PM)
Good God don't play with my emotions like that....

I know it's just a pipe dream, but would that be fun to watch or what? Throw that pitching staff up against the yanks in a 5 or 7 game series and watch them crap their pants :lolhitting

Hell, in a 5-7 game series you only need 4 pitchers.

Get me the best LH hitting OF with at least some power they can trade for or buy within budget (and not trading away any of the starting pitching), pick up Ka'ahuie from KC to play 1B and move PK to DH. Flower as backup C and sometimes DH. Nix, CJ, Flowers and some 4th OF (maybe even Pods) as the bench. Garcia for 5th slot and Hudson in the pen, to slide into rotation if Freddy falters. Gives you a bullpen of Jenks/Thornton/Linebrink/Pena/Hudson/DJC/???. Leave everything else intact, except maybe picking up a bullpen arm that might fit the bill (though I think our bullpen isn't as bad as some portray it, and I think Jenks has a nice comeback year in 2010). Trade Linebrink if you can in that case, but I think he's likely to do better in 2009, maybe you trade him at the deadline if he has a solid 1st half.

I honestly think that club will be a winner. I see a lot of players in there likely to improve in 2010 over 2009 (TCQ, Beckham, Ramirez, Teahen, Rios), and I think Flowers and Ka'ahuie have serious power potential that will develop nicely as rookies. The only guys who seem likely to regress are PK and AJ. Add that to what looks like a great starting rotation, and the only worries I'd have are defense and, to a limited extent, the bullpen (but the bullpen is ALWAYS a question mark).

Flame away.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)
Get me the best LH hitting OF with at least some power they can trade for or buy within budget (and not trading away any of the starting pitching), pick up Ka'ahuie from KC to play 1B and move PK to DH. Flower as backup C and sometimes DH. Nix, CJ, Flowers and some 4th OF (maybe even Pods) as the bench. Garcia for 5th slot and Hudson in the pen, to slide into rotation if Freddy falters. Gives you a bullpen of Jenks/Thornton/Linebrink/Pena/Hudson/DJC/???. Leave everything else intact, except maybe picking up a bullpen arm that might fit the bill (though I think our bullpen isn't as bad as some portray it, and I think Jenks has a nice comeback year in 2010). Trade Linebrink if you can in that case, but I think he's likely to do better in 2009, maybe you trade him at the deadline if he has a solid 1st half.

I honestly think that club will be a winner. I see a lot of players in there likely to improve in 2010 over 2009 (TCQ, Beckham, Ramirez, Teahen, Rios), and I think Flowers and Ka'ahuie have serious power potential that will develop nicely as rookies. The only guys who seem likely to regress are PK and AJ. Add that to what looks like a great starting rotation, and the only worries I'd have are defense and, to a limited extent, the bullpen (but the bullpen is ALWAYS a question mark).

Flame away.

Sadly with all this, you would probably still get kicked in the nads by the yankees come playoff time. It sounds good though. I'd take it.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 04:10 PM)
You can forget that dream rotation. Acquiring Halladay would cost at least one of Floyd or Danks.

Well the sox could pull it off without giving up those two, but it would probably cost Beckham which would be a terrible idea.