Sox GM Meetings

SoxAce

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 02:59 PM)
Please no. As much as I believe in getting some guys that hit doubles and can go 1st to 3rd...that offense would be rancid, even in the NL. The Sox will need to get at least one guy that can hit homeruns to either play DH, RF or 3B, preferably 2 guys. Despite his need for speed...KW has to know they need some pop in the lineup to win.

I'll agree on this point...I could take either D2 or Podsednik in the regular lineup. Both of them...it could work if D2 developed and Pods stayed healthy, but that's pretty risky on paper.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 11:59 PM)
Please no. As much as I believe in getting some guys that hit doubles and can go 1st to 3rd...that offense would be rancid, even in the NL. The Sox will need to get at least one guy that can hit homeruns to either play DH, RF or 3B, preferably 2 guys. Despite his need for speed...KW has to know they need some pop in the lineup to win.

We have allowed our home run hitters to walk. We have a ballpark designed for a power hitting club and we seem to be going to other way. They one in 2005 with some power and in 2008 but now he are sacrificing power and defense from what I can tell.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 05:58 PM)
Even if everything works in that offense, it's not going to outscore the Yankees. But that's not how this team is built next year; if we fill those other 2 spots with average performance somehow, if we're going to the playoffs, we're going there because we have the best 1-6 starting pitching staff in the AL and we're scoring enough runs.

What we need to do is get to teh "Enough" runs point. In 2005 we were 9/15 in the AL in runs scored. In 2009 we were 12/15. That's a fair bit worse, and we need to recover from that. Quentin recovering and giving us a full season, a full season of Beckham, a normal season from Rios, etc., could accomplish that as long as we don't have a complete black hole somewhere. Get me back to that middle-of-the pack range and then our offense can win with this starting staff.

That assumes, of course, that the bullpen doesn't implode.

my thoughts exactly, and i do think we score enough runs, i firmly believe rios will have a monster year, TCQ puts up MVP type numbers, paulie gives us 30/80, AJ puts up another .290+ year, Gordos gonna continue what he did last year over a whole year, lexis good for 20 homers and 60 driven in and i believe teahen is good for that too.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 03:06 PM)
We have alowed our home run hitters to walk.

Hopefully, a full year of Quentin, Rios, Beckham, and perhaps Flowers coming off the bench or DHing helps take care of some of that. if Teahen could show some promise in a new park that would help too. But yeah, we need some OPS from the DH spot and we need something else in the OF as it stands right now. This is why some of us still think there's a good shot at Thome coming back; he's just a really good fit for what this team is missing (20-25 HR and a .400 OBP from the LH Side).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 06:12 PM)
Hopefully, a full year of Quentin, Rios, Beckham, and perhaps Flowers coming off the bench or DHing helps take care of some of that. if Teahen could show some promise in a new park that would help too. But yeah, we need some OPS from the DH spot and we need something else in the OF as it stands right now. This is why some of us still think there's a good shot at Thome coming back; he's just a really good fit for what this team is missing (20-25 HR and a .400 OBP from the LH Side).

And probably the best decision economically.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 12:19 AM)
And probably the best decision economically.

I seem to reember beinfg told by management that they would spend what had to be spent to win. I do believe that folks like Dye and Thome might be brought back at less and maybe that's a good thing. If we are trying to mold this club into something different I am not sure it's the best yet. We have let go a lot of positive clubhouse presence and talent and I am yet to see what appears to be a good result. If we continue to dump veterans who perform, but now are arbitration eligible or their contracts are up for negotiation you want to see someone capable of filling their shoes be brought in. Early yet maybe, but maybe this is what has occurred because of the economy and failing to win in 2009

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)
I seem to reember beinfg told by management that they would spend what had to be spent to win. I do believe that folks like Dye and Thome might be brought back at less and maybe that's a good thing. If we are trying to mold this club into something different I am not sure it's the best yet. We have let go a lot of positive clubhouse presence and talent and I am yet to see what appears to be a good result. If we continue to dump veterans who perform, but now are arbitration eligible or their contracts are up for negotiation you want to see someone capable of filling their shoes be brought in. Early yet maybe, but maybe this is what has occurred because of the economy and failing to win in 2009

My biggest problem with bringing back JD would be the fact that he flat out didn't perform last year. We'd have been better off with De Aza starting than JD in the 2nd half.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 03:41 PM)
Out of curiousity, how much of Jordan Danks have people actually seen that are saying if he is ready or not?

Probably have seen him a couple dozen times the past year. I'm no scout...but that's my opinion that I don't think he's quite ready. One thing I did notice about him...when things don't go right...the body language is TERRIBLE. I think he's gotten better about it...but seriously...he gets really down on himself. He's got all the talent in the world though and I look forward to seeing him come up...but for that reason alone I'd like to see him have another year or so down and get more consistant and brush off the bad days he'll have because he will be horribly outmatched when at the dish when he comes up at first which is natural.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 04:52 PM)
Please explain why this would be that bad? 2-8 all have the potential to hit .270 with 20 HR and 70 RBI and who knows what D2 can do and if we have the pods of last year we're fine. esp. with this staff, i would like to see the addition of one more bopper but i honestly think if we put that out there next year and our starting staff stays healthy we'll be fine.

Yeah, but they wont. That lineup is seriously bad, like rally killing bad.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 05:06 PM)
We have allowed our home run hitters to walk. We have a ballpark designed for a power hitting club and we seem to be going to other way. They one in 2005 with some power and in 2008 but now he are sacrificing power and defense from what I can tell.

Wrong, they won in 2005 with ridiculous pitching. They had a 100 run differential over their opponents. They scored 70 more runs in 2008 than they did in 2005 and 120 more in 2006, it didnt matter, its all about keeping the runs off the board.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 11:57 PM)
Wrong, they won in 2005 with ridiculous pitching. They had a 100 run differential over their opponents. They scored 70 more runs in 2008 than they did in 2005 and 120 more in 2006, it didnt matter, its all about keeping the runs off the board.

I think ridiculous pitching may be an understatement when you look at the numbers the bullpen put up. The offense was well-balanced though. Ozzieball was overrated and really not a factor, it was the power that kept the offense going.

jermaine dye speaks and he wont be DH

from Joe Cowely blog on suntimes

Jermaine Dye isn't ruling anything out.

After all, at 35 years old and 13-plus major league seasons under his belt, the about to be former White Sox outfielder has seen crazier things happen.

"I mean first of all I could come back to the Sox,'' Dye insisted in a phone interview Tuesday afternoon. "I talked to [general manager] Kenny [Williams] and negotiations could still go on. Kenny talked to me about the fact that his hands are tied as far as spending money, but you never know, I could sign for less.''

That's classic J.D., being the good businessman and keeping all doors open. Even one as slammed shut as the Sox situation actually is.

The club announced last week that they were exercising the $950,000 buyout on Dye, rather than picking up the $12 million option for 2010. Translation: Thanks for the memories No. 23.

So while Dye expressed his desire to return to the South Side, he also knows the reality of the situation. The place he spent the last five seasons, won a World Series and played the best baseball of his career is about to become a fond memory.

Sure, Williams and Dye are saying the right things, but the likelihood of a Dye return is small and shrinking.

"I think Kenny is legit with me and [free agent] Jimmy [Thome] on what he's told us this offseason,'' Dye said. "He's honest. If he doesn't have [the money to spend], he doesn't have it. Kenny and I have a friendship beyond baseball, and he will be real with me. He's not someone that will tell you something and then go behind your back.''

Neither is Dye.

Even with a window still open to negotiate with the Sox exclusively, he was already fielding inquiries from other teams. While Dye won't say which, it's no secret that Texas has had him on their radar for years, while Boston - a team that was on his list of no-trade destinations - is also a possibility.

"At the end of the day, I wasn't surprised with how this has played out,'' Dye said. "With me being with the Sox as long as I had been, if they wanted to pick up my option or do something else as far as a new deal they would have done it during the end of season.

"I have to assume that because they bought me out my services are terminated with them right now. In the future, who knows? That's a place I love and won a World Series. That's a place I'll never forget. Someday I may come back as a player or with another title. My first choice is still there, but this is a business.''

Not a pretty one at times.

During Dye's hot first half of the 2009 season, both manager Ozzie Guillen and Dye expressed their desire to get an extension done. A frigid second half in which he hit .179 with just seven homers seemed to all but seal his fate. Just like that, one of the more prolific hitters the last five years was deemed expendable.

"I don't think it's fair to label a guy as declining because of two or three months,'' Dye said. "That's just the way my second half was. For me to go through that one time in 13 years, that's pretty good.

"People said the same thing about me in Oakland when I came back from the broken leg [after the 2002 season] and played bad. What happened? I played five years of great baseball. I'll keep proving people wrong.''

And also calling his shots.

With outfielder Bobby Abreu signing a two-year, $19-million deal last week, the bar has been set. Dye knows that the economic uncertainty makes this winter a bit tricky, but also knows that a .278 average with 164 homers and 461 RBI since 2005 carries weight.

"There are a number of teams I've heard already that would love to have me,'' Dye said. "I know one thing, I will not be DHing. You can put that down. If a team wants to try me out at first base on an every day basis I'll do that. That's something I feel will be easy to learn. But as far as DHing that's not for me. Teams shouldn't call if that's their plan.''

So what happens when the offers start coming in?

"I won't go back to the Sox and say, 'This team offered me this,' '' Dye said. "I wouldn't do that to Kenny. I'm ready to be patient with this. I'm not in a rush. If a team comes and shows me on paper how we will be, we can compete and win, I'll do it early, but I want to feel wanted first.''

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 05:12 PM)

Jim Thome isn't really a .400 OBP hitter anymore (.362 and .372 the past 2 seasons), even in a strict platoon at DH I can't see him topping .375. He's still valuable and a probably a good option at DH but you can't expect too much from him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 12:40 AM)
If he doesn't want a nearly full time DH slot, then he just doesn't fit on this team.

I think he would fit in well with the DH role and rotate as needed in the OF. People disparage him, but he saved us in 2009 IMO. When healthy he is avery good ball player

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
I think he would fit in well with the DH role and rotate as needed in the OF. People disparage him, but he saved us in 2009 IMO. When healthy he is avery good ball player

Was he not healthy in the 2nd half?

And how exactly did he save us in 2009? .793 OPS on the season, 103 OPS+. He was, overall, an average OF with the bat and pretty darn rotten with the glove.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 06:51 PM)

uhh...saved us? please explain. His .184 average in the 2nd half saved us from winning the division

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 04:52 PM)
Please explain why this would be that bad? 2-8 all have the potential to hit .270 with 20 HR and 70 RBI and who knows what D2 can do and if we have the pods of last year we're fine. esp. with this staff, i would like to see the addition of one more bopper but i honestly think if we put that out there next year and our starting staff stays healthy we'll be fine.

That's because you're assuming everyone lives up to their potential in 2010. It's a lineup full of question marks with a few key figures looking like poor best in 2010 and some unrealistic expectations on your part IMO.

Podsednik is 34 years old and has averaged a .340 OBP and .700 OPS over the past 6 seasons, given that he's also an awful baserunner that's some terrible production from the DH spot.

Beckham should have a big year.

Quentin in my mind is a mid .800 OPS hitter not the .950 guy we saw in '08 that you expect to reemerge in 2010.

Konerko is a marginal 1B who will top .830 if we're lucky.

Pierzynski does not have 20 HR potential, he'll hit 13 or 14 like he does every year with a good AVG and awful OBP. In all he's a decent catcher.

Alex Rios has the potential to put up 25 HR and a .800+ OPS but given how horrendous he was last season he also has a good chance at being a complete disaster.

Mark Teahen has been bad for 3 full seasons in a row, excuse me for not getting overly excited about him.

Alexei has one good offensive season under his belt and one bad, these aren't exactly proven hitters we're dealing with here.

So do people think Jordan Danks is as talented or as far along in his development as say Colby Rasmus (I don't)? They sport similar K% (with Danks' being higher) and Rasmus barely topped a .300 OBP in the bigs last season.

Like I said, that lineup has the potential to be terrible, keyword being potential, it also has the potential to be pretty decent though with not a single sure thing in the lineup I'd lean heavily towards bad.

Interesting that Dye brought up 1B. That might be a possibility with the Sox, with PK at DH. If we pick up a LH hitting OF, the balance wouldn't be as bad in terms of the lineup handedness (though ideally I'd still prefer more lefty hitters, but that isn't a huge issue IMO). PK can then DH and stay in better playing shape. I wouldn't be opposed to it.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 07:02 PM)
That's because you're assuming everyone lives up to their potential in 2010. It's a lineup full of question marks with a few key figures looking like poor best in 2010 and some unrealistic expectations on your part IMO.

Podsednik is 34 years old and has averaged a .340 OBP and .700 OPS over the past 6 seasons, given that he's also an awful baserunner that's some terrible production from the DH spot.

Beckham should have a big year.

Quentin in my mind is a mid .800 OPS hitter not the .950 guy we saw in '08 that you expect to reemerge in 2010.

Konerko is a marginal 1B who will top .830 if we're lucky.

Pierzynski does not have 20 HR potential, he'll hit 13 or 14 like he does every year with a good AVG and awful OBP. In all he's a decent catcher.

Alex Rios has the potential to put up 25 HR and a .800+ OPS but given how horrendous he was last season he also has a good chance at being a complete disaster.

Mark Teahen has been bad for 3 full seasons in a row, excuse me for not getting overly excited about him.

Alexei has one good offensive season under his belt and one bad, these aren't exactly proven hitters we're dealing with here.

So do people think Jordan Danks is as talented or as far along in his development as say Colby Rasmus (I don't)? They sport similar K% (with Danks' being higher) and Rasmus barely topped a .300 OBP in the bigs last season.

Like I said, that lineup has the potential to be terrible, keyword being potential, it also has the potential to be pretty decent though with not a single sure thing in the lineup I'd lean heavily towards bad.

I don't agree on the bolded. I think everything in Rios' career says 2009 was a flukey bad year, and I think Alexei is pretty consistently a top flight offensive SS (relative to position is important here). And I know I'm in the small minority, but I think Teahen looks like a good candidate for somoene who will benefit from this change of scenery (ballpark and all else).

I agree on everything else though.