Adrian Gonzalez

kwill

I read in Rob Neyer's blog about the likely hood of Adrian Gonzalez being traded this offseason is becoming more of a reality.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/i...nzalez-on-block

I know I like to dream, but its the offseason. Here are Gonzalez's stats last year.

SEASON TEAM G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS

2008 SD 162 616 103 172 32 1 36 119 74 142 0 0 .279 .361 .510 .871

2009 SD 160 552 90 153 27 2 40 99 119 109 1 1 .277 .407 .55 .958

The man is a beast going into his prime. Also, he is rather cheap at this point making about 10.5 million( total) in the last 2 years of his contract. This all concludes to that it will take an arm and a leg to get him.

But, he provides something we need which is a left handed power hitting slugger.

This trade would be much like the Prince Fielder rumor that was thrown around. Package would start with Alexi, Hudson, and Flowers. This would be enticing to them since it would provide three quality players they could plug in on the cheap. Problem is this really depletes are farm system. Plus, it would mean we would have insert Jayson Nix into the starting role. I am a nix fan, but some of you would rather him be off the roster.

The Lineup would look alot like this:

Pods( if resigned) or Jordan Danks

Beckham

Quentin

Gonzalez

Konerko

Piezenski

Rios

Teahen

Nix

I think the lineup would be pretty nasty. Again, our farm would take a beating and we would be in a must win now situation. Also, I have my doubts that San Diego would accept that package. Just wondering what some of you think. Also, I know people will be skeptical, but understand I am just throwing suggestion out there.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For starters, I would suggest that you please check the 3 or 4 other threads that are centered around Adrian Gonzalez.

Secondly, that package doesn't even come close to touching what the Padres would want, and Alexei is as old or older than Adrian Gonzalez is right now. I honestly don't think the Sox are going to be serious players for Adrian Gonzalez, but I've been wrong before.

QUOTE (kwill @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 05:39 PM)
I read in Rob Neyer's blog about the likely hood of Adrian Gonzalez being traded this offseason is becoming more of a reality.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/i...nzalez-on-block

I know I like to dream, but its the offseason. Here are Gonzalez's stats last year.

SEASON TEAM G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS

2008 SD 162 616 103 172 32 1 36 119 74 142 0 0 .279 .361 .510 .871

2009 SD 160 552 90 153 27 2 40 99 119 109 1 1 .277 .407 .55 .958

The man is a beast going into his prime. Also, he is rather cheap at this point making about 10.5 million( total) in the last 2 years of his contract. This all concludes to that it will take an arm and a leg to get him.

But, he provides something we need which is a left handed power hitting slugger.

This trade would be much like the Prince Fielder rumor that was thrown around. Package would start with Alexi, Hudson, and Flowers. This would be enticing to them since it would provide three quality players they could plug in on the cheap. Problem is this really depletes are farm system. Plus, it would mean we would have insert Jayson Nix into the starting role. I am a nix fan, but some of you would rather him be off the roster.

The Lineup would look alot like this:

Pods( if resigned) or Jordan Danks

Beckham

Quentin

Gonzalez

Konerko

Piezenski

Rios

Teahen

Nix

I think the lineup would be pretty nasty. Again, our farm would take a beating and we would be in a must win now situation. Also, I have my doubts that San Diego would accept that package. Just wondering what some of you think. Also, I know people will be skeptical, but understand I am just throwing suggestion out there.

nix starting...dont know about that

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 05:41 PM)
For starters, I would suggest that you please check the 3 or 4 other threads that are centered around Adrian Gonzalez.

Secondly, that package doesn't even come close to touching what the Padres would want, and Alexei is as old or older than Adrian Gonzalez is right now. I honestly don't think the Sox are going to be serious players for Adrian Gonzalez, but I've been wrong before.

6 months older than Gonzalez

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 03:41 PM)

Frankly, without knowing how the Padres GM views their scouting reports on Flowers and Hudson, I'd have difficulty believing they'd get a substantially better offer than that (unless they really think Hudson is over-blown or Flowers is a steroid product).

First the pads wouldn't be interested in alexie they have a young good looking shortstop . any trade for Adrian Gonzales we will have to probably be center with Floyd or Danks most likely Floyd if i am the PADRES GM i am asking for Floyd Hudson, Flowers, and another 1 or 2 prospects . Now maybe the Sox would counter but I AM starting with that .

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 08:13 PM)
Too much to give up plus he will cost to much money wise. Your going to have to pay Adrian a ton for all the pieces you'd give up. No thank you.

The dude hit 40 HR and plays 81 games in the best pitchers park in baseball. He is only 27 years old and his contract isn't up until after the 2011 season. I'd say he is definitley worth the prospects and the potential contract extension.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 07:38 PM)
The dude hit 40 HR and plays 81 games in the best pitchers park in baseball. He is only 27 years old and his contract isn't up until after the 2011 season. I'd say he is definitley worth the prospects and the potential contract extension.

He may at the same time be worth that price and paying that price would also devastate this team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 09:40 PM)
He may at the same time be worth that price and paying that price would also devastate this team.

true. but paying that price may also mean that we would likely devestate the AL Central over the next few years. . Risks need to be taken when your going for it all. . .

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 08:27 PM)
true. but paying that price may also mean that we would likely devestate the AL Central over the next few years. . Risks need to be taken when your going for it all. . .
Agreed we need to take a risk and this is the type of player we need . The Twins have mauer moirneu , THE Tigers have Cabrera . Please don't tell me our impact guy is Q or konerko ? Beckham someday maybe but why not get a player like Adrian Gonzales ? cost ? prospects ? DO we really want to compete with the Yankees , Angels, Red Sox or the Phillies and Dodgers ? Well if the answer is yes then we will have to spend somewhere and can't keep waiting and hoping prospects will preform JorDanks and how many others we have or god that we had fields, anderson, owens , and many more . I think most here are blinded by our starter rotation maybe even over valuing it a bit . Well as for me i believe it will take alot more then our starting rotation to even win the division in 2010 the Twins and Tigers are better overall then most here will admit . I rather have the Twins lineup then what we might be trotting out there .

QUOTE (1977 sox fan @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 07:34 PM)
....if i am the PADRES GM i am asking for Floyd Hudson, Flowers, and another 1 or 2 prospects . Now maybe the Sox would counter but I AM starting with that .

If I'm Kenny, the conversation would END with that as well...

Edited by Chet Kincaid

I'd offer up Hudson + Flowers + Viciedo + D2 + any 2 other players on the farm. If we win it all in 2010 or 2011 while Adrian is here on a minuscule salary then we get to bump up the payroll beyond that point which would alleviate much of the concern about needing these pre-arb players for future Sox teams. We would also be getting the best player in the deal, and the chances are very slim that any of these guys go on to become as valuable as Gonzalez is right now.

It's always risky when you trade promising prospects for veterans, but this is the kind of guy that it makes sense to take such risks over. It's one thing to give up a very talented prospect for a back-end starter, or a middle reliever, or an average position player. It's another to pick up one of the premier hitters in all of baseball.

Basically, I'd never worry about what these guys MIGHT become because I'd be too busy watching the Beckham-Gonzalez-Quentin trio rip up the American League. For those who would disregard that, think back to the Red Sox having a prime (and roided-up) Ortiz and Manny hitting back-to-back. That's the kind of punch we'd have with Quentin fully healthy (which he should be now over a year after his wrist surgery) and Gonzalez.

Plus, if we could find a way to move Paulie and clear some space, we could sign some spare parts to beef up the defense with CQ moving to DH to keep healthy. Pick up Coco Crisp to play LF for about $3M or so, get a strong defensive RF, and now we've got one of the strongest defenses in baseball to go with a nasty rotation and a balanced lineup with a potent middle of the order. The bullpen would be the only questionmark, but at least there is physical talent there.

I agree. I don't think that you put together this strong of a starting rotation just to half ass it in other areas. Go for it all.

Of the younger players I like D2 to blossom for some reason, maybe because I think that he might have the same tenacity of his older brother. I wouldn't mind trading anything or everything else on the farm for Gonzales though.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 11:14 PM)
I'd offer up Hudson + Flowers + Viciedo + D2 + any 2 other players on the farm. If we win it all in 2010 or 2011 while Adrian is here on a minuscule salary then we get to bump up the payroll beyond that point which would alleviate much of the concern about needing these pre-arb players for future Sox teams. We would also be getting the best player in the deal, and the chances are very slim that any of these guys go on to become as valuable as Gonzalez is right now.

It's always risky when you trade promising prospects for veterans, but this is the kind of guy that it makes sense to take such risks over. It's one thing to give up a very talented prospect for a back-end starter, or a middle reliever, or an average position player. It's another to pick up one of the premier hitters in all of baseball.

Basically, I'd never worry about what these guys MIGHT become because I'd be too busy watching the Beckham-Gonzalez-Quentin trio rip up the American League. For those who would disregard that, think back to the Red Sox having a prime (and roided-up) Ortiz and Manny hitting back-to-back. That's the kind of punch we'd have with Quentin fully healthy (which he should be now over a year after his wrist surgery) and Gonzalez.

Plus, if we could find a way to move Paulie and clear some space, we could sign some spare parts to beef up the defense with CQ moving to DH to keep healthy. Pick up Coco Crisp to play LF for about $3M or so, get a strong defensive RF, and now we've got one of the strongest defenses in baseball to go with a nasty rotation and a balanced lineup with a potent middle of the order. The bullpen would be the only questionmark, but at least there is physical talent there.

I agree

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)
I'd offer up Hudson + Flowers + Viciedo + D2 + any 2 other players on the farm.

The only way I see the Pads balking at that deal is if they can get some other team to offer up a more established young MLB ready starter.

I could see someone like the red sox offering up Bukholz ( however you spell his name ) or Lester.

We don't have a player like that who we can afford giving up.

On the other hand - I don't see the Red Sox offering up three quality prospects like Flowers, Viciedo, and D2.

If the sox had the option to get Gonzalez for that package - they'd be dumb to walk away.

Either that - or the Sox brass think Gonzalez and his 40 HR year was a fluke and they don't want to buy high.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 11:14 AM)
I'd offer up Hudson + Flowers + Viciedo + D2 + any 2 other players on the farm.

When I saw this, my immediate reaction was "would you like my house and first-born, too?" But then I got to thinking about prospects and the pedestal we seem to put them on, and then I remember that they are still unproven and could turn into another Joe Borchard or Lance Broadway. As many others have said, you have to risk something; put the chips in play if we want to win. When you take a step back and look at the probability of all of the aforementioned reaching the stardom vs. current status of Adrian crushing, I think it's a risk that will be worth it in the end.

QUOTE (NIUSox @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 06:33 PM)
Right before they went off the air today on the Afternoon Saloon, Harry said that he heard from a source close to the Sox that Hudson is the centerpiece to a possible deal for Gonzalez. FWIW

Whoa! You serious, Clark?

Edited by iamshack

Give any 'spect away except D2. He's kind of a sell low right now cuz of his poor finish. He also did something very special for the Sox in that both he and his brother completely ditched their agent so that they could both be a part of the organization for a long time.

QUOTE (NIUSox @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 06:33 PM)
Right before they went off the air today on the Afternoon Saloon, Harry said that he heard from a source close to the Sox that Hudson is the centerpiece to a possible deal for Gonzalez. FWIW

The Sox need to do everything in their power to reunite Hudson and Carter.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 07:37 PM)
Whoa! You serious, Clark?

The Padres have to trade Adrian.

If you were in their shoes (looking at a $40M payroll for the foreseeable future), and the Sox made what you thought was the best offer, which would give you more hope for the future...

This: C Crap 1B Gonzalez 2B Crap SS Cabrera 3B Crap LF Blanks CF Crap RF Venable/Headley; Latos-Young-Correia-Richard-???

Or this: C Flowers 1B Blanks 2B Retherford SS Cabrera 3B Viciedo LF Headley CF Danks RF Venable; Latos-Hudson-Young-Correia-Richard

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 07:54 PM)
The Sox need to do everything in their power to reunite Hudson and Carter.

The Padres have to trade Adrian.

If you were in their shoes (looking at a $40M payroll for the foreseeable future), and the Sox made what you thought was the best offer, which would give you more hope for the future...

This: C Crap 1B Gonzalez 2B Crap SS Cabrera 3B Crap LF Blanks CF Crap RF Venable/Headley; Latos-Young-Correia-Richard-???

Or this: C Flowers 1B Blanks 2B Retherford SS Cabrera 3B Viciedo LF Headley CF Danks RF Venable; Latos-Hudson-Young-Correia-Richard

My surprise isn't that the Padres may be looking to move Adrian. My surprise was that Kenny is going after him. Maybe not surprise as much as excitement, actually...