Adrian Gonzalez

kwill

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 12:37 PM)
It'd be good.

Quentin has to prove he can stay on the field for 162. Yes, I know he had a freak injury with the wrist, but these knee and heel problems can nag for years.

Next thing you know, he'll get hit in the hand with a pitch and be out for 3 months. I'm just afraid it's always going to be one thing or the other with him.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was checking out the Mets payroll commitments as well. They are looking to unload Castillo, who does pretty much nothing for us and has a brutal contract.

They are looking for bats though, potentially at 1b, as they plan to see if Delgado is healthy in winter ball this year.

I wonder if they might be interested in some sort of Konerko for Mike Pelfrey swap. He evidently has a club option for 2010, but I can't find the figure on it.

Just trying to find some salary relief here...anyone else have any ideas?

Pelfrey's option was worth a meager $500,000, I don't think that's a realistic trade option given how hard up they are for quality starting pitching and Pelfrey's incredibly cheap price tag.

They are willing to take on a bad contract but in exchange you have to take Luis Castillo off their hands and like was already stated we have no use for him.

There's a belief that the Mets are looking for a right handed 1B to platoon with Murphy, Konerko isn't the platooning type.

I do think the Mets could be interested in Konerko if their other plans fall through, though. They got nothing out of the 1B position last year with Murphy and Tatis sharing time after Delgado went down.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 01:15 PM)
Was checking out the Mets payroll commitments as well. They are looking to unload Castillo, who does pretty much nothing for us and has a brutal contract.

They are looking for bats though, potentially at 1b, as they plan to see if Delgado is healthy in winter ball this year.

I wonder if they might be interested in some sort of Konerko for Mike Pelfrey swap. He evidently has a club option for 2010, but I can't find the figure on it.

Just trying to find some salary relief here...anyone else have any ideas?

Pelfrey is a stud. He had a rough year last season but this guy has the potential to be another Derek Lowe for several years. There's no way they would deal him for Paulie IMO unless we threw in a bunch. Even then I doubt they'd deal him because starting pitching is an issue for them. They gave out that garbage contract to Oliver Perez last year and I imagine a primary focus of theirs is unloading it.

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 09:43 PM)
I got this from another board:

On the way home today, Harry from ESPN 1000 claimed he had an inside source that stated Clayton Richard called Daniel Hudson today to inform him that he was a key piece in a trade the Padres & Sox were working on, so that the Sox would get Adrian Gonzalez.

And I'm pissed that the Bulls got raped on that call.

What makes you think that the Padres are telling Clayton Richard what their plans are, not to mention that Harry from ESPN 1000 isn't exactly the most credible source.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
What makes you think that the Padres are telling Clayton Richard what their plans are, not to mention that Harry from ESPN 1000 isn't exactly the most credible source.

Because Clayton Richard keeps secrets, duh. Hudson was the one who f***ed it up when he told a guy who told a guy who told a guy who told Kevin Bacon who told a guy who told Harry from ESPN 1000.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
Because Clayton Richard keeps secrets, duh. Hudson was the one who f***ed it up when he told a guy who told a guy who told a guy who told Kevin Bacon who told a guy who told Harry from ESPN 1000.

why must you invoke the name of Kevin Bacon? That is low man, really low

QUOTE (spiderman @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)

Being a guy that had first hand exposure to many of the prospects that could be included in this deal, Clayton Richard, and the other Ex-Sox there, could be excellent sources of information about the minor league system here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
Being a guy that had first hand exposure to many of the prospects that could be included in this deal, Clayton Richard, and the other Ex-Sox there, could be excellent sources of information about the minor league system here.

Yeah, I didn't think of this. But I guess it could be possible that Dexter Carter called Dan Hudson. Maybe the info got passed as "A former White Sox prospect that was traded to the Padres for Jake Peavy called Dan Hudson to inform him he might be getting dealt to the Padres for Adrian Gonzalez," and Harry or someone else assumed it was Clayton Richard. Harry is a Cubs fan, so I wouldn't put it past him to make that mistake and think it was Clayton Richard...

Who knows, just grasping for anything here...:)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)
Yeah, I didn't think of this. But I guess it could be possible that Dexter Carter called Dan Hudson. Maybe the info got passed as "A former White Sox prospect that was traded to the Padres for Jake Peavy called Dan Hudson to inform him he might be getting dealt to the Padres for Adrian Gonzalez," and Harry or someone else assumed it was Clayton Richard. Harry is a Cubs fan, so I wouldn't put it past him to make that mistake and think it was Clayton Richard...

The guys in the minor league system spend lots of time together outside of the regular playing season. Especially during spring training, they work out and practice all together as I understand it. These guys don't have to have played on the exact same teams at the exact same time to know each other pretty well.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 01:56 PM)
that other message board is WSI and the thread you are referring to was started in reference to this thread

=D

why don't we merge with those guys.... soxtalkinteractive.com

For the same reason you don't just go around opening up stargates. Who knows what would come through to SoxTalk?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)

Or maybe Clayton Richard went online to bleacherreport.com and found a story detailing how the Sox are in discussions with the Padres on a deal that would send Adrian Gonzalez and Brian Giles in a sign-and-trade to the Sox for Paul Konerko, Dan Hudson, Brian Hynick, Michael Torres, and Batman. Then Richard called Hudson up and told him to look at it, so Hudson checked it out, laughed, called a friend, and by the time the story got to Harry it was a legit deal with Hudson leading the package. Maybe the specifics aren't realistic, but I bet that basic scenario plays out quite often over the course of an offseason.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
Or maybe Clayton Richard went online to bleacherreport.com and found a story detailing how the Sox are in discussions with the Padres on a deal that would send Adrian Gonzalez and Brian Giles in a sign-and-trade to the Sox for Paul Konerko, Dan Hudson, Brian Hynick, Michael Torres, and Batman. Then Richard called Hudson up and told him to look at it, so Hudson checked it out, laughed, called a friend, and by the time the story got to Harry it was a legit deal with Hudson leading the package. Maybe the specifics aren't realistic, but I bet that basic scenario plays out quite often over the course of an offseason.

I don't want to include Batman in any deal.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)
I would do Konerko + Linebrink for Castillo though. We would cut $11M off the books in 2010 and only add $500K in 2011. Castillo really has no worth to us, but maybe we could eat half his contract and send him elsewhere. Castillo at $3M per in 2010 and 2011 might work for someone else.

I think that this would work from the perspectives of the teams and I would love to see it. Doesn't Konerko have a no trade clause and doesn't want to go east?

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
I would do Konerko + Linebrink for Castillo though. We would cut $11M off the books in 2010 and only add $500K in 2011. Castillo really has no worth to us, but maybe we could eat half his contract and send him elsewhere. Castillo at $3M per in 2010 and 2011 might work for someone else.

This is starting to feel like a video game.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
I think that this would work from the perspectives of the teams and I would love to see it. Doesn't Konerko have a no trade clause and doesn't want to go east?

He does have a no trade clause.

He has said in the past that he would agree to waive it if the team asked him to because it was for the betterment of the team.

As for where he would go, I wouldn't think the Mets would be all that bad. New ballpark. A decent club with a high payroll. It's not out of the realm of possibilities that a healthy Mets team would be better than our team. And their manager is Jerry Manual, who PK has played for before.

PK is from Providence, Rhode Island, so I don't know if he would mind going back east or not...

QUOTE (balfanman @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 02:13 PM)

He has a full NTC as a 10-5 guy but he has said several times before that if the Sox wanted to move him he wouldn't stand in the way of a deal.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)
He does have a no trade clause.

He has said in the past that he would agree to waive it if the team asked him to because it was for the betterment of the team.

As for where he would go, I wouldn't think the Mets would be all that bad. New ballpark. A decent club with a high payroll. It's not out of the realm of possibilities that a healthy Mets team would be better than our team. And their manager is Jerry Manual, who PK has played for before.

PK is from Providence, Rhode Island, so I don't know if he would mind going back east or not...

I think that when PK signed his contract, there were about 8 teams that he wouldn't go to at the time in a limited no-trade clause, and I think most of them were in the NE, including the Yankees and Red Sox. Not totally certain about the Mets, but memory suggests he didn't want to go to NY.