Adrian Gonzalez

kwill

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 09:43 PM)
I got this from another board:

On the way home today, Harry from ESPN 1000 claimed he had an inside source that stated Clayton Richard called Daniel Hudson today to inform him that he was a key piece in a trade the Padres & Sox were working on, so that the Sox would get Adrian Gonzalez.

And I'm pissed that the Bulls got raped on that call.

God I hope this is true.

That call was complete bulls***. Stacey had it right when he said the call should have stood since there certainly wasn't anything close to sufficient evidence that the shot was no good. The NBA refs continue to make a mockery of themselves. And Brad Miller is the anti-AJ. He's always in the middle of the big controversial calls but he and his team never benefit.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 09:50 PM)
Can you imagine how amazing Gonzalez would be if he didn't play in Petco for half the season?

2009:

Home: .244/.413/.446/.859

Road: .306/.402/.643/1.045

Career:

Home: .260/.355/.441/.795

Road: .300/.370/.565/.935

This guy would eat people if he played in the Cell. And holy s***, imagine him hitting between Beckham and a healthy CQ. I'd never stop smiling.

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 09:43 PM)

On the way home today, Harry from ESPN 1000 claimed he had an inside source that stated Clayton Richard called Daniel Hudson today to inform him that he was a key piece in a trade the Padres & Sox were working on, so that the Sox would get Adrian Gonzalez.

If anything, Miller's finger tips were barely touching the ball. But still there wasn't enough evidence to overturn it. The Bulls should have won that game! Regardless, the Bulls are fun to watch this year. I think 45-48 wins isn't out of the question.

As far as Gonzalez goes. . OH HELL YEAH! Get it done Kenny.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 07:53 PM)
God I hope this is true.

That call was complete bulls***. Stacey had it right when he said the call should have stood since there certainly wasn't anything close to sufficient evidence that the shot was no good. The NBA refs continue to make a mockery of themselves. And Brad Miller is the anti-AJ. He's always in the middle of the big controversial calls but he and his team never benefit.

Tell me about it. There was no indisputable evidence against it. Replay backfired today.

Edited by GO CHI SOX!

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 10:43 PM)

Now this makes it seems a bit less-likely to me.

How the hell would Clayton Richard know anything? Would they ask Richard about Hudson because he played with him? Did he even play with him last year? I don't get why they would tell Richard anything...and it seems unlikely to me that the two would have spent enough time together to have forged some sort of friendship. Obviously, I don't know, but it just seems a bit strange to me...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 10:12 PM)

How the hell would Clayton Richard know anything? Would they ask Richard about Hudson because he played with him? Did he even play with him last year? I don't get why they would tell Richard anything...and it seems unlikely to me that the two would have spent enough time together to have forged some sort of friendship. Obviously, I don't know, but it just seems a bit strange to me...

They never crossed paths. Hudson spent 2008 in rookie ball while Richard played in AA, AAA and the Majors. Clayton spent the entire 2009 season in the majors and he was gone by the time Hudson was recalled in early September.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 10:16 PM)
They never crossed paths. Hudson spent 2008 in rookie ball while Richard played in AA, AAA and the Majors. Clayton spent the entire 2009 season in the majors and he was gone by the time Hudson was recalled in early September.

Well that ends that speculation.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 10:12 PM)

Look at the rest of the forum, and we're talking about backup catchers, Sox re-treads on reclamation deals, and committing money to Pods again so we don't have to run Jordan Danks out there everyday. If Harry from ESPN 1000 had a source that said God told Clayton Richard to build an ark and fill it with a male-female pair of every species of animal on the planet, then as long as this scenario ended up bringing us Adrian Gonzalez in some roundabout way, I'd still take the opportunity to get excited.

BTW, the base info isn't odd at all. If the Sox make an offer then Hudson is in it, either headlining it or co-headlining it.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 10:23 PM)
Look at the rest of the forum, and we're talking about backup catchers, Sox re-treads on reclamation deals, and committing money to Pods again so we don't have to run Jordan Danks out there everyday. If Harry from ESPN 1000 had a source that said God told Clayton Richard to build an ark and fill it with a male-female pair of every species of animal on the planet, then as long as this scenario ended up bringing us Adrian Gonzalez in some roundabout way, I'd still take the opportunity to get excited.

BTW, the base info isn't odd at all. If the Sox make an offer then Hudson is in it, either headlining it or co-headlining it.

Well, trust me, I'm with you man. I'm as excited about the possibility as you are. But that just sounds as silly a way for someone to come about this information as I can think of...

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 10:18 PM)

No it doesn't. Maybe they hit it off well in Spring Training and have become best friends on X-Box or something. Who knows? The point is, Wally Cleaver aka Clayton Richard is trying to help us land Gonzalez, so nothing else really matters.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 10:26 PM)
Well, trust me, I'm with you man. I'm as excited about the possibility as you are. But that just sounds as silly a way for someone to come about this information as I can think of...

I agree it's strange, but we can't write it off until we see it posted on bleacherreport.com. That's the protocol.

Wow! I did not know this post would blow up. I just want to say I started this thread as an idea. NO KNOWLEDGE OF ANYTHING.. Its just an idea. Its not even a rumor.

A couple things to keep in mind.

1. Alexi would be a key part of this deal in my mind. San Diego has a huge latin market and Alexi would fit right in. Also, you have to give them a proven major leaguer to justify the deal.

2. People who say this would ruin our farm system. You are totally correct. But, lets think back to two years ago when all of these guys in the current trade were not even with the White Sox. Farm systems can built quickly and only are speculative. Plus, If we did get Gonzalez we would most definitely have a replacement for Konerko when his contract up. You make the trade thinking the guy will be part of your organization for the next 6 years not 2.

3. Petco is a huge park. The Cell is a small park. He would hit 45 homers here.

4. We would be instantly favorites for the division and be in the top 3 most likely to win it all.

5. Bringing a player like Adrian to the Cell would certainly make wanting to stay here a priority for John Danks and Carlos Quentin. Both have expressed willingness to talk about extensions this offseason.

QUOTE (kwill @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 11:42 PM)
I just want to say I started this thread as an idea. NO KNOWLEDGE OF ANYTHING

I heard on ESPN1000 Adam Russell and Dexter Carter knew about a deal the Padres and Sox were working on and called you to tip you off

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 11:18 PM)

No it doesn't. But that has nothing to do with the nonsense about Clayton talking to Hudson. The Sox NEED a bat like Gonzalez to compete. After losing Thome and Dye, that production needs to be accounted for in some way. And they aren't going to pay for Holliday.

None of this means that a deal will get done, but if the Padres like Hudson and Jordan Danks, I wouldn't doubt that KW would trade them.

Guys, if we could land A Gone for Hudson, Retherford, Morel, Shelby, Ely, Torres and Hynick, i'd say shiny and go about our merry, but Danks, Viciedo, Flowers, and Hudson? A-Gone is a special player, but i don't really know how i feel about desecrating our farm system for him. I'm conflicted. A-Gone is the player that you do that for, but still.... i think i'm just too attached to some of the minor league kids.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 08:06 AM)
Guys, if we could land A Gone for Hudson, Retherford, Morel, Shelby, Ely, Torres and Hynick, i'd say shiny and go about our merry, but Danks, Viciedo, Flowers, and Hudson? A-Gone is a special player, but i don't really know how i feel about desecrating our farm system for him. I'm conflicted. A-Gone is the player that you do that for, but still.... i think i'm just too attached to some of the minor league kids.

I've seen you use this phrase more than once. Firefly fan, I assume?

On topic... for Adrian Gonzales, I'd have no problem giving up ANY of the prospects you mentioned, even half of them or more, and the only one I'd even slightly hesitate on is Hudson.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 08:59 AM)
Maybe this isn't such a bad idea after all. I just don't want to touch the starting rotation for this to happen.

Teams that go after top flight talent are contenders. Contenders don't trade mainstays in the rotation because it defeats the purpose of the deal. They trade budding prospects. The Sox aren't going to trade John Danks or Floyd.

P.S. By posting this, I have guaranteed that either Danks or Floyd will be traded.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 08:06 AM)

Yeah, there has to be a limit on what you offer for the trade to even make sense from our perspective. If I were KW, I wouldn't offer more than Hudson, Retherford, Morel and one of Viciedo, Danks and Flowers. That's 4 of our top 6 prospects. That's fairly similar to what the Braves gave up for Teixeira a few years back (I know it's not the exact same situation). Even if you think some of these guys will be worthless in a few years, they still can bring you back a lot of nice pieces right now.

Honestly, if the Padres turned down that package, which of the following would you rather do. Use the cash saved by not making the trade and sign Andy LaRoche to be your DH and then trade the same package for a cheap, young, stud RF. In this scenario, you'd still have two of Danks, Viciedo and Flowers left. The other option is trading your top 6 prospects for Gonzalez and having nothing of value to trade in the future, while hindering your ability to plug holes cheaply.

IMO, trading the entire farm system, even for a player as good as Gonzalez, is completely irrational.