Adrian Gonzalez

kwill

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)
The biggest offer he had out there was Baltimore, and he turned them down pretty early. After that it was between us and Anaheim, for what its worth.

Yeah, but he'd only have to spend 1 year wherever he goes now, and possibly only 4 months, as he would probably be traded to a contending team (if his was not) at the break anyways.

The situation is a little different now.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonzalez wins a gold glove, KW make it happen give up whoever they want not named Beckham.

The pipe dream in this order (Other 1B man mentioned in seperate thread) for lefty power hitter:

1. Adrian Gonzalez

2. Joey Votto

3. Adam Dunn

I see Dunn as costing the least in terms of prospects.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)
Why don't we trade Paulie for pieces that could facilitate a trade for A-Gone?

Because most of us seem to think we couldn't get any pieces for Paulie.

Maybe 1 piece, but not anything that is going to be much more than the 4th or 5th piece of a deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)
Being a guy that had first hand exposure to many of the prospects that could be included in this deal, Clayton Richard, and the other Ex-Sox there, could be excellent sources of information about the minor league system here.

I'm guessing that the Padres aren't sharing their trade ideas with him though.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)
what happens if we trade Pauly for pieces but Adrian is traded elsewhere?

I would guess KW would make any such PK or similar deal contingent on the Adrian deal, a true 3 team trade... now can those be submitted to MLB as 3 teams, or are they submitted as 2 separate trades?

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)
I would guess KW would make any such PK or similar deal contingent on the Adrian deal, a true 3 team trade... now can those be submitted to MLB as 3 teams, or are they submitted as 2 separate trades?

I think either way.

Probably easiest to just move PK first, keeping the Padres in the loop, then do the deal with the Padres afterwards.

You dont want to mess up that elite rotation we are setting ourselves up with. But it really does become moot if we dont do something to improve the lineup.

It is not heresy to deal from a strength and put Hudson into the rotation. Sending Floyd and Flowers as principals in a deal would get something in return that could rank us at the top of our division.

And then you free up Floyd's dollars down the road....not to say his deal isnt reasonable (it is)...but this way you get to observe Danks and CQ a little longer before deciding who to give that saved cash to.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)
You dont want to mess up that elite rotation we are setting ourselves up with. But it really does become moot if we dont do something to improve the lineup.

It is not heresy to deal from a strength and put Hudson into the rotation. Sending Floyd and Flowers as principals in a deal would get something in return that could rank us at the top of our division.

And then you free up Floyd's dollars down the road....not to say his deal isnt reasonable (it is)...but this way you get to observe Danks and CQ a little longer before deciding who to give that saved cash to.

i dont know what my feelings are, im stuck in the middle...gonzalez is one of my favorite players in baseball but floyd is really really good. i honestly rather trade buehrle instead of floyd or danks but thats not a possiblity for various reasons. i have faith in kw

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 02:16 AM)
Affeldt's career numbers. He had an astounding season last year that will in all probability not be replicated. It would not be all that surprising if in his second full season, Randy Williams had a year that is in line with Affeldt's career line of 4.27 ERA, 1.45 WHIP, 9.0 H/9, 4.0 BB/9, 6.9 K/9. So the difference here might not be as stark as it currently looks when just comparing their 2009 seasons. Affeldt IMO is still a bad contract.
i said it over a month ago about a trade of konerko to the giants and was just hammer here for it . i mentioned konerko for jonathen sanchez while maybe throwing in a prospect or eating part of konerkos salary . And just so you know the giants are trying to trade Sanchez . I got blasted for Sanchez because he is a starter well so what we could put him in the pen. lefty power arm strikeout pitcher NO WE CAN'T USE A GUY LIKE THAT . AMAZING

QUOTE (1977 sox fan @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 06:53 PM)
i said it over a month ago about a trade of konerko to the giants and was just hammer here for it . i mentioned konerko for jonathen sanchez while maybe throwing in a prospect or eating part of konerkos salary . And just so you know the giants are trying to trade Sanchez . I got blasted for Sanchez because he is a starter well so what we could put him in the pen. lefty power arm strikeout pitcher NO WE CAN'T USE A GUY LIKE THAT . AMAZING

Well maybe you are a true genius and none of us here know it...

MLB Network seems to think Boston has the edge on the Adrian Gonzalez sweepstakes. . SD's new GM was Theo Epsteins Assistant and knows Boston's farm better than anybody. Does Boston have a deeper farm than us?

As far the PK situation goes. . why would we have to trade him if we aqcuire A-Gon? He would simply be our DH and he could play an ocassional 1B- similar to Frank Thomas before he became a full time DH.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 05:33 PM)
MLB Network seems to think Boston has the edge on the Adrian Gonzalez sweepstakes. . SD's new GM was Theo Epsteins Assistant and knows Boston's farm better than anybody. Does Boston have a deeper farm than us?

As far the PK situation goes. . why would we have to trade him if we aqcuire A-Gon? He would simply be our DH and he could play an ocassional 1B- similar to Frank Thomas before he became a full time DH.

Boston's farm is slowly being depleted by their dealings...but right now, Buchholz is where we're hoping Hudson will be in a year in terms of value. That's what gives them an advantage; most people would rank him as a more valuable piece. But they don't really have anyone who's knocking on the door as a position player right now like we have with Flowers. They do have some serious guys at lower levels though. But those are lower levels, and you only can project a recent draftee so far.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 07:33 PM)

Because he makes $12M and isn't that good of a hitter, he'd be tremendously overpaid.

Padres to Meet with Gonzalez About His Future

SAN DIEGO -- New Padres general manager Jed Hoyer will meet with the agent for first baseman Adrian Gonzalez next week to presumably discuss the future of the 27-year-old with the franchise.

Hoyer said Wednesday, after the end of the General Managers Meetings in Chicago, that "I am looking forward to talking to John [boggs, the agent for Gonzalez] next week, on a range of topics. Adrian will be chief among them."

Gonzalez, who on Wednesday won his second consecutive Gold Glove Award, still has two years remaining on an undervalued deal that might make him the best value in the game.

Gonzalez, who hit 40 home runs this past season and drove in 99 runs and appeared in his second All-Star Game, will make $4.75 million in 2010 with a $5.5 million club option for 2011.

Fangraphs valued Gonzalez's 2009 production at $28.4 million, which was the 10th best among all position players.

"He's a great player with a great contract who's a fan favorite," Hoyer told SI.com this week in Chicago.

Gonzalez, who is about to embark on a vacation to Europe, said that he's curious as to what comes out of the meeting between Boggs, who is based in San Diego, and Hoyer, and what the organization wants to do with him moving forward.

"If they want to offer an extension, I'd be more than willing to look at it and see what they think of me or what value they've put on me," Gonzalez said. "I'd like to see where they're at, wanting to sign me long-term or trade me or not."

Gonzalez would certainly command a bevy of prospect and/or players who could help San Diego immediately if the team opted to trade him before his contract expires.

But Gonzalez, a San Diego native, has now become the face of the franchise, especially after popular pitcher Jake Peavy was traded in July. He's popular among fans in Mexico, where he spent part of his youth, as well as San Diego.

"If I get to stay here with the Padres and stay in my hometown and live here at home and be with these great fans and great city, then I'm in a winning situation," Gonzalez said. "If I end up getting traded, I'm getting traded to a team that more than likely will be in the playoffs and will be contending for a World Series title."

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 09:15 PM)
I think it would ultimately come down to whether Jed Hoyer liked our prospects more than what Theo was offering him from that system he knows so well.

In all seriousness, if Clay Bucholz was out there, the only way we would top that is with either Danks or Floyd. In that case, I hope Kenny folds.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 09:16 PM)
In all seriousness, if Clay Bucholz was out there, the only way we would top that is with either Danks or Floyd. In that case, I hope Kenny folds.

I don't necessarily agree.

If you're Jed Hoyer, you're going to want to fill multiple holes by trading Gonzalez. If we are offering prospects that are closer to filling some gaps in the Padres' lineup card, he may like a deal involving Hudson as the centerpiece more than Bucholz, even though that package includes the better centerpiece.

I'm not so sure Danks or Floyd would 'need' to be involved. Danks and Floyd will be getting more and more money each year that passes. I'm pretty sure SD is looking 2-3 years down the road. If thats the case, a deal centered around Hudson and Flowers is a real possibility. How many more years does Bucholz have before he reaches arbitration?