Uggla expects to be traded during offseason

ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 09:37 AM)
has alexei fallen so out of favor on this board that people would consider giving up danks/floyd and the missle for the likes of Dan Uggla????

That was not an AND, it was Alexei + Jordan Danks/Flowers or Floyd/John Danks straight up.

And I cant believe people here think Alexei is better than Uggla. I can see Alexei plus Danks/Flowers being too much, but Uggla is a better player than just Alexei.

Again. why do we want to tax our biggest strength (pitching) by adding more weak defenders? No matter how bad the offense looked last year, it was the awful defense I saw that cost the Sox any shot at the division. Pitching and defense, pitching and defense. Why don't people understand that? One of the best lineups I have seen was the Indians of the mid to late 90s and they actually had decent defense and serviceable pitching but it still was not enough to win a title.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)
That was not an AND, it was Alexei + Jordan Danks/Flowers or Floyd/John Danks straight up.

And I cant believe people here think Alexei is better than Uggla. I can see Alexei plus Danks/Flowers being too much, but Uggla is a better player than just Alexei.

I disagree. He may hit for more power, but thats about it. Alexei is a better defensive player, has better speed, hits for more contact and has more tools and ability to play around the order and the diamond. Uggla has a concrete glove, K's a ton and can only play one position badly. Uggla may end up striking out 3 times more than Alexei. He's no slouch and still appears to be improving, but Alexei is just a better baseball player IMO.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)
I disagree. He may hit for more power, but thats about it. Alexei is a better defensive player, has better speed, hits for more contact and has more tools and ability to play around the order and the diamond. Uggla has a concrete glove, K's a ton and can only play one position badly. Uggla may end up striking out 3 times more than Alexei. He's no slouch and still appears to be improving, but Alexei is just a better baseball player IMO.

It's simpler than all that. There's an $18M difference between the two through 2011 and there's really no argument anyone can make to prove that Uggla is $9M per season more valuable than Alexei. The Marlins are going to have a ton of trouble trading him, his value is absolute s*** right now due to arbitration pay raises. What team is going to pay him $11M in 2011? Right now there's a better than even chance that he's non tendered after 2010.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 12:26 PM)
It's simpler than all that. There's an $18M difference between the two through 2011 and there's really no argument anyone can make to prove that Uggla is $9M per season more valuable than Alexei. The Marlins are going to have a ton of trouble trading him, his value is absolute s*** right now due to arbitration pay raises. What team is going to pay him $11M in 2011? Right now there's a better than even chance that he's non tendered after 2010.

You and your sensible money argument can go to hell.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 12:33 PM)

Whatever it is that you smoke, let us in on the secret.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)
So you truly believe Dan Uggla is $18M better than Alexei Ramirez (and his 2 arb eligible seasons in '12-'13)?

I would not do the deal either because Alexei happens to be one of my fav players and Uggla costs more money, but in talent alone, I think Uggla is the better player.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
I would not do the deal either because Alexei happens to be one of my fav players and Uggla costs more money, but in talent alone, I think Uggla is the better player.

That was never the argument. You offered up a proposed trade of Alexei + Flowers/Danks for Uggla and since acquisitions are not made in a vacuum, Uggla's incredible price tag is coming along with him.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 04:26 PM)
He hits more HR's. Great. Alexei is better at every other facet of baseball.

He can take a walk as well (improved in BB/KK rate every year) I just don't like comparing a guy who plays 2B and a guy who plays SS.

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 05:30 PM)
Something tell me Alexei has a big year in 2010. No real evidence to back it up. Just kind of a gut feeling.

I feel that the step forward he made with his walk rate will pay off more next season.

Edited by MattZakrowski

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 04:26 PM)
That was never the argument. You offered up a proposed trade of Alexei + Flowers/Danks for Uggla and since acquisitions are not made in a vacuum, Uggla's incredible price tag is coming along with him.

I am saying I too would not make that trade. But I am responding to the person who said they would not trade Alexei straight up for Uggla, and I think that's a stretch.

I was not throwing out those trade proposals as something I would offer, but rather what I think they would want or ask for, and who you guys think we should offer instead. The only thing I was proposing was to say Kenny might want to see if he can try and get Uggla, players involved not withstanding.