White Sox Non-Tender DJ Carrasco

Kalapse

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 05:51 PM)
I really think I'd rather trade Linebrink and his $5m for 24 used baseballs, keep DJ and sink the extra ~$3m into a DH/OF. I mean, given the outrageous contracts given to relievers in the winter meetings, SOMEONE would have to be in the market to take him for essentially nothing.

They would have done that by now if it were at all possible. He's an older, bad reliever guaranteed $10.5M over the next 2 years with a full no trade clause, he's basically immovable.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack Cust was non-tendered by the A's.

If the Sox can't satisfy their requirement of getting a DH that can play the field a few days a week, this might be a fallback option, while still keeping a roster spot available.

I don't love it, but if they've done their homework on Putz and needed to do this to make it happen financially...then I cant be opposed. Especially if they see Hudson as being the long man.

Carrasco was solid but this year should be about contention. So you kind of have to dare to be great, get some live arms.

What we're really all mad at is that the Linebrink move still hurts us, in that we went multiyear with this guy and being trapped under that, we're forced to make this kind of move.

In isolation I cant hate this, have to see what final product KW leaves us with.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 05:45 PM)
Wow this just makes no sense...esp since our pen still has questions.

I don't like it, I really liked the job that he did last season (and the year prior), but the Sox probably feel that he is a luxery that they can't afford, and may have peaked. Think about it like this - they have at least 4 starters who they feel are going to go 6-7 IP most games so they don't feel that paying a long-reliever is as big a need, especially if they are cash strapped. They'd rather put their money into the late innings. If they can get the 6-7 IP from their starters, that leaves Thornton, Putz and Jenks (assuming he's part of the plan) for the late innings. It also frees up a roster spot for Daniel Hudson to earn a major league job, and have a defined role.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 05:18 PM)
This dont make any sense, he was the best guy out of the pen last year.. another KW move I don't like.. and to be honest I don't think he's made a good move since the Peavy trade.

It makes perfect sense. Why is everyone so lost on this?

1-They just signed Putz

2-They want to season Hudson as a long reliever to prep him for next year's rotation

3-The Sox now have a rotation that allows them to need a long relief guy less than last year

4-They need the flexibility of an open roster spot or two to sign and/or trade for an OF and a power DH

5-They need to save money wherever they can

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 05:14 PM)
Very odd. There has to be more to the story. How do you go from what your manager called you most valuable pitcher because of his versatility to non-tendered over a few hundred thousand?

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 05:18 PM)
This dont make any sense, he was the best guy out of the pen last year.. another KW move I don't like.. and to be honest I don't think he's made a good move since the Peavy trade.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 05:19 PM)
I am still shocked. Of all of the things I thought I knew about 2010, DJ was in the top part of the list.

I was kind of hoping they could keep him around, too. My guess is with the strength of the rotation, a reliever like him isn't nearly as valuable as he was last year when they had Colon and Contreras at the end of the rotation.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 07:02 PM)
It makes perfect sense. Why is everyone so lost on this?

1-They just signed Putz

2-They want to season Hudson as a long reliever to prep him for next year's rotation

3-The Sox now have a rotation that allows them to need a long relief guy less than last year

4-They need the flexibility of an open roster spot or two to sign and/or trade for an OF and a power DH

5-They need to save money wherever they can

If they're really committed to Hudson taking over DJ's role to at least begin next season, then I think it's safe to say AGON, Upton or any other big bat will not be acquired by trade.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (League @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 07:53 PM)
They were only a few hundred thousand apart.

09 dj was a bright spot. Most of the time he pitched adequtly,sometime he got shelled. He did pitch well enough to keep us in a lot of games. It was Dj we, fans wanted dj to come in. NOw we'll have to wait since he's non tendered to see what other teams scouts and organizations value him. I guess we'll see in the amount of dollars on his contract if he gets one. I guess it may be true for all non tendered players including Brian Anderson.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 08:41 PM)
If they're really committed to Hudson taking over DJ's role to at least begin next season, then I think it's safe to say AGON, Upton or any other big bat will not be acquired by trade.

Not necessarily. It isnt as if the long relief/mopup role cannot be filled midseason by another arm should Hudson be traded. If everything worked out well we wouldnt be seeing much of the long reliever anyways, and our starters would be able to go deep into games and hand over the game to the setup guys and closer.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 08:54 PM)
Not necessarily. It isnt as if the long relief/mopup role cannot be filled midseason by another arm should Hudson be traded. If everything worked out well we wouldnt be seeing much of the long reliever anyways, and our starters would be able to go deep into games and hand over the game to the setup guys and closer.

I guess basically what I'm saying is that if they're penciling Hudson into next year's 'pen, whether it be as the long-man or another role, that more than likely we won't be players for a big bat. Of course, anything can happen. Especially when KW is involved. But I think it's a pretty safe assumption that it's going to be VERY difficult to land a big bat AND keep Hudson.

Via Scott Merkin's twitter:

Carrasco will pursue a team that gives him an opportunity to become a starting pitcher again, first and foremost.

From Carrasco: "You want to be in a place where you are wanted and needed. The White Sox probably still wanted me but didn’t need me."