Would You Deal Jenks to Philly

Chisoxfn

The Phils have been mentioned as one of the teams that could use an upgrade at closer. They have Lidge, who has great stuff and a proven track record of successes and failures. He has a great arm and if the Sox are able to get a solid prospect and cash from the Phils, it could turn into a solid deal.

What does everyone else think? And I note that the Phils would have to agree to send a s***-ton of money the Sox way, since Lidge makes like 11.5M a year through 2011.

Or lets hypothetically say the Sox dealt Jenks and Linebrink to the Phils for Lidge, cash, and a good prospect. Sox get a few more million that can go to signing a DH, get a good prospect, and still have a guy that has all of the stuff to be a great closer.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
The Phils have been mentioned as one of the teams that could use an upgrade at closer. They have Lidge, who has great stuff and a proven track record of successes and failures. He has a great arm and if the Sox are able to get a solid prospect and cash from the Phils, it could turn into a solid deal.

What does everyone else think? And I note that the Phils would have to agree to send a s***-ton of money the Sox way, since Lidge makes like 11.5M a year through 2011.

Or lets hypothetically say the Sox dealt Jenks and Linebrink to the Phils for Lidge, cash, and a good prospect. Sox get a few more million that can go to signing a DH, get a good prospect, and still have a guy that has all of the stuff to be a great closer.

little too risky for me. if lidge falls flat on his face (Which has a high probability) the sox pen would all of a sudden become quite thin.

Edited by soxfan3530

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)
Brad Lidge is guaranteed $24.5M over the next 2 season and Bobby Jenks only $7.5M-$8M. How do you make that at all palatable?

I'm taking my chances with Jenks.

Ya, I figured there is no way to make it work, but since Levine said the Phils might be interested I figured they'd have to deal Lidge and eat up significant cash.

No way I can see the Phils eating enough cash to make that a valuable deal.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 05:53 PM)
I actually agree with you. I think Jenks is going to have a tremendous season.

Why? Is he finally dedicated to taking care of his body? Will he reverse the trend of blowing key saves against inferior lineups? Will he cease to have "medical issues" such as "kidney stones"?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)
Brad Lidge is guaranteed $24.5M over the next 2 season and Bobby Jenks only $7.5M-$8M.

Not to mention that Jenks' arbitration-eligible status and the fact that he didn't completely suck this season makes him more valuable on the trade market. I'll take Jenks and Linebrink over Lidge and cash any day.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 06:11 PM)
Why? Is he finally dedicated to taking care of his body? Will he reverse the trend of blowing key saves against inferior lineups? Will he cease to have "medical issues" such as "kidney stones"?

Reverse the trend? He had a bad year, but was still a so-so closer even in that phase. Look at his career - he's up and down, like most any reliever or closer. Also, look at his monthly splits - its not like he was collapsing, he had two bad stints, and actually finished statistically strong when he was on the field. And the minor injuries was a new thing too. They aren't long term injuries either, so everything about his career right now points to him improving in 2010.

Nothing is every known for sure, but looking at his career and track record, he looks to me like a guy likely to improve a lot in 2010.