White Sox acquire Juan Pierre

Sockin

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:33 PM)
I'll say this, a DH of Kotsay/Jones would be an epic disaster.

You're certainly banking a lot on two aging veterans, that's for sure. However, the possibility of them producing isn't out of the question.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 10:35 PM)
You're certainly banking a lot on two aging veterans, that's for sure. However, the possibility of them producing isn't out of the question.

What's Kotsay going to produce? Even if he overachieves, you're looking at probably .275 and 15 homers. Not exactly a lot of thump from your DH.

I wish certain people would stop pretending that Kenny has the payroll and farm system of Boston when attempting to make his acquisitions during the offseason...

No matter how much we want to wish and wish and wish, the man still has to operate in reality. No amount of insulting him or complaining is going to change that.

I, for one, think he is putting together a pretty good band of merry men.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 05:36 PM)
What's Kotsay going to produce? Even if he overachieves, you're looking at probably .275 and 15 homers. Not exactly a lot of thump from your DH.

They'll sign Thome before they go with Kotsay at DH.

Jesus Christ.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:41 PM)
They'll sign Thome before they go with Kotsay at DH.

Jesus Christ.

We're just reacting to what Ozzie's saying. I don't think what he's saying is accurate, as KW isn't that dumb. But when you start getting people rationalizing that Kotsay/Jones could work as a DH tandem, that's when comments need to be made.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:36 PM)

Kotsay hasn't put up a wOBA north of .321 since 2004 and just as a frame of reference: AJ put up a .326 last season, Rowand a .323 and Mark Teahen a .323 so that's about what you're getting with a .325 and Kotsay couldn't even muster that level of production.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 05:47 PM)
We're just reacting to what Ozzie's saying. I don't think what he's saying is accurate, as KW isn't that dumb. But when you start getting people rationalizing that Kotsay/Jones could work as a DH tandem, that's when comments need to be made.

I have no problem with Jones being part of a platoon in both the OF and at DH. But I was thinking more of something along the lines of a Jones/Thome/Flowers platoon than Jones/Kotsay.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 05:48 PM)
Kotsay hasn't put up a wOBA north of .321 since 2004 and just as a frame of reference: AJ put up a .326 last season, Rowand a .323 and Mark Teahen a .323 so that's about what you're getting with a .325 and Kotsay couldn't even muster that level of production.

I don't think Kotsay is any answer, but he's also been coming off the bench and/or been struggling with injuries. And granted, that will be his role here, but I don't think it's fair to look at his production as if it's production that has been a result of everyday at bats.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 05:49 PM)
Kenny's the one that's floating the idea of a rotating DH which is sure to be Kotsay and Jones heavy.

Even if that were to happen, would you rather go out and sign Vlad or Matsui and not have the flexibility we have now with Jones/Pierre/Vizquel and Putz? Because signing one of the few players available would have meant none of these other moves.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:50 PM)
I don't think Kotsay is any answer, but he's also been coming off the bench and/or been struggling with injuries. And granted, that will be his role here, but I don't think it's fair to look at his production as if it's production that has been a result of everyday at bats.

That kind of makes my point.

I also refuse to use injuries as an excuse for poor production.

And besides; he's gotten 430+ PA in 3 of the last 5 seasons.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:52 PM)
Even if that were to happen, would you rather go out and sign Vlad or Matsui and not have the flexibility we have now with Jones/Pierre/Vizquel and Putz? Because signing one of the few players available would have meant none of these other moves.

How about not wasting $8M on Pierre and instead finding someone off the scrapheap that can put up a ~.330 OBP for the minimum and play a little CF, they're out there. I'll gladly take a DH that can put up a decent OPS if it means no Kotsay or Andruw Jones, this is the AL you don't use your bench all that often and neither player has much flexibility anyway. I don't really give a s*** about either. And if Vizquel is going to be getting 250+ PA including time at DH I'm disappointed they signed him as well.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:53 PM)
That kind of makes my point.

I also refuse to use injuries as an excuse for poor production.

And besides; he's gotten 430+ PA in 3 of the last 5 seasons.

Then compare him to other bench players, not regulars.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 10:52 PM)

Matsui got 3.5 millioin, so you're basically talking not having Jones/Pierre/Omar. I would have much rather the Sox had Matsui and Putz. I don't even dislike Pierre.