Yunieski Maya now cleared as a FA

Cubano

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
Are all of these guys requiring major league contracts to sign, or is it something where a minor league contract with an invite to spring training would do? The SOx just filled their 40 man roster, though I suppose there is a player or two who could be dropped.

I think their age is against them. I am sure they will get anything at this point. I do not understand they have not gotten even a ML offer. They are producing in the D.R. Winter League.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 27, 2009 -> 01:12 PM)
It's bouncing around the net that the Mets and the White Sox are the favorites to land him. I believes he's throwing in the DR soon, so action on that front will hopefully come sooner rather than later.

for chapman ? i didn't know that

QUOTE (Cubano @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 11:12 PM)
I think their age is against them. I am sure they will get anything at this point. I do not understand they have not gotten even a ML offer. They are producing in the D.R. Winter League.

This isnt really a big measuring stick for the MLB. Lots of players play there in the offseason and dominate, then come back to the MLB and resume being their normal selves

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 27, 2009 -> 06:50 AM)
This isnt really a big measuring stick for the MLB. Lots of players play there in the offseason and dominate, then come back to the MLB and resume being their normal selves

It's just another piece of the puzzle to to consider when scouting a player.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
IMO, if Hudson was going to be dealt this offseason, I think it would have already happened.

Honestly, I think it is more likely right now as teams get up against their salary budgets for next year. Especially as FA prices start to drop for the middle and lower end of players, teams are going to want to go bargain hunting. If they can move a salary for a prospect, they could still do it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 27, 2009 -> 05:31 PM)
Honestly, I think it is more likely right now as teams get up against their salary budgets for next year. Especially as FA prices start to drop for the middle and lower end of players, teams are going to want to go bargain hunting. If they can move a salary for a prospect, they could still do it.

Here's my logic. Who would be the guys we'd likely move Hudson for? Gonzalez, maybe Crawford, and that's about it. The only position the Sox really seem to still have open is 1b/DH, so unless we're moving for Fielder, Pujols, or AGon, I'm not sure who else is out there that we'd build a deal for.

KW clearly took a shot at AGon earlier this offseason, but he didn't have enough or wasn't willing to meet the Padres price. The other teams after AGon seem to also have figured out which way they want to go; about the only Q remaining is where Bay and Holliday wind up, which might still impact Boston's desire to make that move, but it seems like everyone would have already given their best offer for AGon and been shot down.

Unless some other team suddenly realizes that they're way over budget and they need to move their expensive 1b/DH, I'm not sure who else we'd move him for other than AGon, and it's pretty clear we're just not in a position to do that deal right now.

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 03:49 AM)
I told my father this, and I'm sticking by my guns....although I could be wrong of course

My prediction: Hudson and/or Flowers will not be part of the White Sox organization before opening day, I have a strong feeling about this

Welcome to soxtalk buck-o.

Hope to see you around for years to come.

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 27, 2009 -> 09:49 PM)
I told my father this, and I'm sticking by my guns....although I could be wrong of course

My prediction: Hudson and/or Flowers will not be part of the White Sox organization before opening day, I have a strong feeling about this

You know, normally I'd be in agreement with you, especially in Hudson's case because he really came from nowhere, but I think Kenny sees something in his current prospects that he hasn't really before. I would think that if Kenny intended on trading some blue chip prospects, he would have done it a couple weeks ago.

Or he simply realized with Hudson and Flowers in 2011 and going forward, that gives him a lot more payroll flexibility.

Considering Hudson, Viciedo, Flowers, Beckham and Ramirez will all be making relatively TINY salaries still, it makes for a very good situation if you're a GM (of course, I'm assuming three very big if's/maybe's about three of those players panning out).

It seems that Jordan Danks and/or John Shelby III (a favorite of scenario's) would be the first to go with the way things are set up for now, and with Mitchell looking to be a late 2011 or 2012 arrival.

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)

well i for one agree with you at least one of them for sure but maybe both . but really who knows

If we sign Maya and he has a fantastic ST as does Huddie, then we literally have a couple of 4/5 star chips at our disposal come the Summer trade dealine (31 July). Pitching is always going to be the most precious commodity you can have. I think having both Hudson and Maya waiting in the wings (Provided we sign Maya cheap and for 3/4 years) will put us in even better shape. I still have hope we sign a decent left handed bat for either a split DH-1B role or exclusively DH. I have lost hope we will go after Agon. But if we sign Maya it lessens potentially the pain of losing Hudson.

:gosoxretro:

Edited by chisoxfan09

Maya makes a lot of sense for the Sox. He's likely behind Hudson in the depth chart, but ahead of Hynick and Torres. Without having seen Maya throw vs. MLB hitters, I don't see the sox trading their top pitching prospect. However, I could see a scenario where Freddy would be traded in ST, if Maya shows he can be a SP in the bigs. More than likely, Maya would start the year in AAA, and be ready to step in if needed in the rotation or bullpen.

Think of this: Not factoring in your top 4 at the moment but looking at 2012-beyond it could be Huddie/Maya/Holmberg if he improves as 3/5ths of your starting rotation waiting in the wings. Has some good potential and upside if we sign Maya. I know Cubano is pretty high on him so we can have cheap 4/5 star prospects for the post Peavy/Buerhle period. Just sayin none of this is going to pan out but it does give us a solid foundation from AAA to the bigs.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 09:21 AM)
Maya makes a lot of sense for the Sox. He's likely behind Hudson in the depth chart, but ahead of Hynick and Torres. Without having seen Maya throw vs. MLB hitters, I don't see the sox trading their top pitching prospect. However, I could see a scenario where Freddy would be traded in ST, if Maya shows he can be a SP in the bigs. More than likely, Maya would start the year in AAA, and be ready to step in if needed in the rotation or bullpen.

If the Sox can wait until mid-June with Garcia in the rotation, then that likely buys them an extra year pre-arbitration with anyone they start off in the minors.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)
If the Sox can wait until mid-June with Garcia in the rotation, then that likely buys them an extra year pre-arbitration with anyone they start off in the minors.

If they are even considering starting Hudson in long relief, why not have him be the #5 guy to start the year? Have another guy be the bullpen "scrub."

In 2000, we could have said we were set for 10 years with Kip Wells, Parque, Mike Sirotka, James Baldwin, Jon Rauch, Jon Garland, Josh Fogg, Aaron Myette, Mark Buehrle, Lorenzo Barcelo, Danny Wright, Matt Ginter, Kevin Beirne, etc.

Things change in a heartbeat with pitching prospects...actually, we're still not very deep at all in this area, and the chances we sign Maya are 10-15% at best.

To project Holmberg into a future rotation is just a bit more relevant now than projecting Jordan Danks or Mitchell as our 2011/2012 starting CFer. Remember last year at this time? Names being speculated about were Clayton Richard/Aaron Poreda (C.R.A.P.) and Jeff Marquez...only one of those guys came close to making an impact on the starting rotation.

Edited by caulfield12