Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

I sat in O'Hare for 5 hours today waiting to see if I could get a flight home after my original flight was delayed twice before eventually being canceled. Then the 2nd flight, which I was on stand-by for, was delayed an hour and a half. Thank God I made it on and didn't get stuck in Chicago tonight.

Also, Obama apparently flew into O'Hare today, which caused all flights to be delayed since they grounded everything until after he landed. I think that's ridiculous. Couldn't he have flown into Great Lakes Naval Base or some private airport, and not cause a major interruption in air travel? Politics aside - I don't think any President should do something like that. Of course, the only thing I would understand is if O'Hare is the only airport that could handle Air Force 1 (which is what I'm kind of expecting someone to answer me with...)

Edited by dasox24

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 01:14 PM)
Whirlyball's Wikipedia entry contains this great piece of info:

"Games played by veterans at a national level can get particularly vicious, although it is extremely rare for a fatal injury to occur"

I might have to nominate this for post of the year.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 01:16 AM)
I sat in O'Hare for 5 hours today waiting to see if I could get a flight home after my original flight was delayed twice before eventually being canceled. Then the 2nd flight, which I was on stand-by for, was delayed an hour and a half. Thank God I made it on and didn't get stuck in Chicago tonight.

Also, Obama apparently flew into O'Hare today, which caused all flights to be delayed since they grounded everything until after he landed. I think that's ridiculous. Couldn't he have flown into Great Lakes Naval Base or some private airport, and not cause a major interruption in air travel? Politics aside - I don't think any President should do something like that. Of course, the only thing I would understand is if O'Hare is the only airport that could handle Air Force 1 (which is what I'm kind of expecting someone to answer me with...)

When Obama came to upstate NY he flew into Albany instead of Stratton Air Force base. Albany's airport is not very big and doesn't handle 747 traffic. I would assume an Air Force or Navy base would be better equipped to handle Air Force 1. So size of the airport is certainly not the issue.

AF1 is equipped with modified engines and systems that make it to where it can take off and land on some VERY short runways. And yes, I know something about this since A.) I've worked for an airline that had many different fleet types B.) I work for an airplane parts manufacturer now.

The way that plane is designed it can do tons of stuff that other planes can't.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 10:27 PM)
^ Probably the only time that I'll ever laugh at a case of attempted rape.

I usually hate people trying to do stuff with auto-tune.. but that was one of the most catchiest songs on auto-tune (as far as a regular guy) I've seen in quite some time on youtube.

EDIT: Oh.. and that white guy tryin to be gangsta is goofy as hell. :lol:

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 03:51 AM)
I usually hate people trying to do stuff with auto-tune.. but that was one of the most catchiest songs on auto-tune (as far as a regular guy) I've seen in quite some time on youtube.

EDIT: Oh.. and that white guy tryin to be gangsta is goofy as hell. :lol:

That f***ing song has been stuck in my head for the last 5 days.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 08:20 PM)
AF1 is equipped with modified engines and systems that make it to where it can take off and land on some VERY short runways. And yes, I know something about this since A.) I've worked for an airline that had many different fleet types B.) I work for an airplane parts manufacturer now.

The way that plane is designed it can do tons of stuff that other planes can't.

Like get caught on radar...

Robot to explore mysterious tunnels in Great Pyramid... again

In the Queen's Chamber, there are two further shafts, discovered in 1872. Unlike those in the King's Chamber, these do not lead to the outer face of the pyramid

No one knows what the shafts are for. In 1992, a camera sent up the shaft leading from the south wall of the Queen's Chamber discovered it was blocked after 60 metres by a limestone door with two copper handles. In 2002, a further expedition drilled through this door and revealed, 20 centimetres behind it, a second door.

"The second door is unlike the first. It looks as if it is screening or covering something," said Dr Zahi Hawass, the head of the Supreme Council who is in charge of the expedition. The north shaft bends by 45 degrees after 18 metres but, after 60 metres, is also blocked by a limestone door.

Now technicians at Leeds University are putting the finishing touches to a robot which, they hope, will follow the shaft to its end. Known as the Djedi project, after the magician whom Khufu consulted when planning the pyramid, the robot will be able to drill through the second set of doors to see what lies beyond.

Dr Robert Richardson, of the Leeds University School of Mechanical Engineering, said they would continue the expedition until they reach the end of the shafts.

"We have been working on the project for five years," he said. "We have no preconceptions. We are trying to gain evidence for other people to draw conclusions. There are two shafts. The north shaft is blocked by a limestone door and nothing has penetrated that door. With the south shaft a previous team has measured the thickness of the stone, drilled through it and put a camera through it and found there was another surface. We are going to determine how thick that is and we could drill through it. We are preparing the robot now and expect to send it up before the end of the year. It's a big question, and it's very important not to cause unnecessary damage. We will carry on until we find the answer. We hope to get all the data possible which will be sufficient to answer the questions."

I'm very curious to see what happens. I have been following this to the best of my ability ever since reading "The Messages of the Sphinx" by Graham Hancock.

Oh, and I despise Dr Zahi Hawass with every bone in my body. There is SOOOOO much evidence that there chambers under the Sphinx, but he refuses to acknowledge their existence publicly.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)
What is everyone doing tonight on 08/09/10 @ 11:12 PM?

Trying to convince my wife that fun with calendar time is something worthy of note probably. But this is the person that doesn't even take time out to celebrat Pi day every March 14th so I'm sure it will be a losing battle.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 10:58 AM)
This story has to top the list of how to say "take this job and shove it," with style. Of course, those type of style points earn federal charges.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405...3157731062.html

Here's another good one http://thechive.com/2010/08/10/girl-quits-...fice-33-photos/

So I'm on vacation here in gulf shores Alabama, after 2 days of swimming in the ocean my brother and I are both sick with cold-like symptoms. f*** this oil spill. You can actually see the dispersant at the top of the water. They said it was safe to swim, that's bs. I knew I should have just stayed home.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 07:06 PM)
Soxtalk needs a mobile site... Any web developers here?

Actually, this will get done whenever we do the next upgrade... (which is after college football season because that's when everyone will be able to pitch in... the next upgrade is a f***er of an upgrade).

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 09:12 PM)
Actually, this will get done whenever we do the next upgrade... (which is after college football season because that's when everyone will be able to pitch in... the next upgrade is a f***er of an upgrade).

So you don't just push "Upgrade" and it just happens?