2010 Cubs Thread

knightni

I don't think it really has anything to do with the Hawks. I just think Cubs fans feel the same way about their team that we do about ours. They had a very competitive stretch and I think many of the fans see it fading fast and can't justify the ticket prices they charge to watch a bad team.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 11:19 PM)
Bad economy, bad team, and a good hockey club can do that I guess. I'm a bit surprised by that though, however they have been doing a lot more ticket advertising this year I've noticed. Maybe even some of their fans have a breaking point.

It's also just starting summertime.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 08:33 AM)
It's also just starting summertime.

exactly, they'll do fine, around the same numbers once the buses full of slack jawed yokels from Iowa start rolling in. The weather hasn't been spectacular every night, a lot of colder nights and rain, so that probably stops the walk ups for the standing room.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 12:03 AM)
I don't think it really has anything to do with the Hawks. I just think Cubs fans feel the same way about their team that we do about ours. They had a very competitive stretch and I think many of the fans see it fading fast and can't justify the ticket prices they charge to watch a bad team.

If there is a Hawk playoff game the same night, then maybe there is a small effect, but I think you are exactly right. Their tickets are not cheap, and the fans did not see a playoff contender this spring and are sick of paying so much money for a crappy team. I have friends who are die-hard fans who finally just said f*** it, I'm not wasting all this money on this s*** team. In the end, they will still have great attendance figues because of Wrigley & the Cubbies, but I think theres been a noticeable decrease.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 09:01 AM)
If there is a Hawk playoff game the same night, then maybe there is a small effect, but I think you are exactly right. Their tickets are not cheap, and the fans did not see a playoff contender this spring and are sick of paying so much money for a crappy team. I have friends who are die-hard fans who finally just said f*** it, I'm not wasting all this money on this s*** team. In the end, they will still have great attendance figues because of Wrigley & the Cubbies, but I think theres been a noticeable decrease.

if there is really a decrease the Ricketts are in a bad position. They already had to scramble at the last minute to cover the last portion of the sale and they have to continue to dump money into the urinal to keep it up, not to mention a couple of bad contracts that will linger for a few years. I would imagine a successful business model for the Cubs necessitates squeezing every last dime out of that place, not spinning wheels or any sort of drop. Maybe they can re-solicit local celebs to pitch in for a small portion of ownership!

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 08:52 AM)
exactly, they'll do fine, around the same numbers once the buses full of slack jawed yokels from Iowa start rolling in. The weather hasn't been spectacular every night, a lot of colder nights and rain, so that probably stops the walk ups for the standing room.

Yokels from Iowa are not going to be paying the prices the Rickettes family needs to sell them for. Interesting blurb on the radio about the number of rooftops that are going under that the Ricketts are buying.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 05:17 PM)
I cant believe how expensive bleacher seats have gotten.

I'm surprised they aren't more expensive honestly (although you're right, they've skyrockted pricewise). That's the one part of the place that's always full, even when the rest of the park isn't. People will pay anything for "the bleacher experience".

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 06:01 PM)
I'm surprised they aren't more expensive honestly (although you're right, they've skyrockted pricewise). That's the one part of the place that's always full, even when the rest of the park isn't. People will pay anything for "the bleacher experience".

Can folks from other parts of the park sit in the blechers? I think I heard they have had 1 sell out and are sold to 93% of capacity but are only getting about 75% through the turnstyles.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
Can folks from other parts of the park sit in the blechers? I think I heard they have had 1 sell out and are sold to 93% of capacity but are only getting about 75% through the turnstyles.

I believe bleacher tickets are general admission, but you must have bleacher seats to sit in the bleachers. The vast majority of the stereotypical idiots that go to Cubs games can be found in the bleachers. The box seats and upper deck there are nowhere near as stupid, even though their have their share of dummies too.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 04:12 PM)
They are cheaper than the NFL and NBA for the most part.

Season tickets for the NFL consist of 10 total games, as opposed to 81 so in the end they turn out to be much cheaper and hard to compare.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 02:58 AM)
Season tickets for the NFL consist of 10 total games, as opposed to 81 so in the end they turn out to be much cheaper and hard to compare.

I assumed he was talking about single game tickets. Yes, it isn't really a fair comparison.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 27, 2010 -> 04:58 PM)
Cubs in great position to catch up to the Cardinals in the standings after this weekend, as the Cardinals offense is really slowing down.

Assuming the 'Stros can hold a 6-2 lead, the Cubs will be 2-6 since Fathom wrote this.