2010 Cubs Thread

knightni

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2010 -> 09:56 PM)
WHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Well of course you came in after the Cardinals retired the Cubs in the 8th (with the tying run on deck). Check around, I wasn't the only person saying the Cubs were creeping back into it.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 28, 2010 -> 04:59 PM)
Well of course you came in after the Cardinals retired the Cubs in the 8th (with the tying run on deck). Check around, I wasn't the only person saying the Cubs were creeping back into it.

I know, i know. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. :lolhitting

I remember a few years ago, during a Cubs game that was not against the Cardinals, he went on a rant about how Ryan Ludwick was a flash in the pan type player and will probably never be consistent. Brenly pretty quiet during that homer.

Not to mention it seems Ludwick rakes against the Cubs.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 28, 2010 -> 06:10 PM)
I expect them to win the central with relative ease.

Between having another bat from the LH side finally developed (Votto...seriously, check his numbers, they're better than you'd have imagined) and having developed some legit young pitching, and having reinforcements on the way...don't count the Reds out just yet.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 29, 2010 -> 09:34 AM)
Between having another bat from the LH side finally developed (Votto...seriously, check his numbers, they're better than you'd have imagined) and having developed some legit young pitching, and having reinforcements on the way...don't count the Reds out just yet.

I'd feel a lot better about the Reds if Harang didn't completely suck. And I think it's just a matter of time before Leake hits the wall. I like the Reds a lot. I've pimped them (along with the Orioles, who have made me look foolish) quite a bit the last two years. Just not sure they're quite there yet.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 29, 2010 -> 10:15 AM)
I'd feel a lot better about the Reds if Harang didn't completely suck. And I think it's just a matter of time before Leake hits the wall. I like the Reds a lot. I've pimped them (along with the Orioles, who have made me look foolish) quite a bit the last two years. Just not sure they're quite there yet.

They have two stud arms coming back to the team soon enough. The Reds are a tough matchup.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 29, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)
They have two stud arms coming back to the team soon enough. The Reds are a tough matchup.

I'm a huge Homer Bailey fan. Edison Volquez is a major wildcard. If he can be even 75% of what he was in '08 then we're talking. But that's a huge if. As of right now, I have to go with the proven team that features the two best pitchers in the division and best player on the planet.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 29, 2010 -> 10:55 AM)
I'm a huge Homer Bailey fan. Edison Volquez is a major wildcard. If he can be even 75% of what he was in '08 then we're talking. But that's a huge if. As of right now, I have to go with the proven team that features the two best pitchers in the division and best player on the planet.

Dont forget Chapman who has been filthy in the minors.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 29, 2010 -> 11:03 AM)
Dont forget Chapman who has been filthy in the minors.

I couldn't forget if I tried. Only thing that worries me about Chapman is his control. He's not going to get away with a BB/9 of 5 in the majors. But yeah, the potential of the Reds is tantalizing.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 29, 2010 -> 11:18 AM)
I couldn't forget if I tried. Only thing that worries me about Chapman is his control. He's not going to get away with a BB/9 of 5 in the majors. But yeah, the potential of the Reds is tantalizing.

Yeah, he appears to be quite wild, gotta love that K rate though.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 29, 2010 -> 03:55 PM)

My boy, J. Gomes, is a fantastic player for the Reds. Strong hitter, and also a fantastic spark off the bench.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 29, 2010 -> 08:43 PM)
Must be nice to be teh Cardinals. Pull up a career minor league pitcher and he is throwing 96. Not sure if that is legit or he is amped up.

I think's he just amped up. He has absolutely no offspeed pitches, and the second time thru the lineup, he's going to have trouble.

Silva has a 127 ERA+, which makes him about 27% better than an average starting pitcher. Now that's obviously a TON more than I'm sure the Cubs were expecting, but it's not like he's a freakin' Cy Young candidate that many are making him out to be. His record is throwing everyone off, but records can be misleading for starters, compare his record to Matt Cain's and 100% of GMs would take Cain every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Again, for ditching Bradley and making about 2m out of the deal the Cubs should be thrilled.