Viciedo at 1b?

Princess Dye

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 10:03 PM)
that title made me laugh. I'd love to make the propogandist titles for Chicagowhitesox and Chicagobears.com.

Anyway, that kind of sucks. There goes his plus value

Scott Merkin gets on my god damn nerves. He seriously needs to take the White Sox dildo out his ass. And whoever it was that scouted Viciedo needs to be fired or something. A 1B? Whoopie!

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 11:10 PM)
Scott Merkin gets on my god damn nerves. He seriously needs to take the White Sox dildo out his ass. And whoever it was that scouted Viciedo needs to be fired or something. A 1B? Whoopie!

I know it's not as exciting as 3b, but come on, judging from the guy's size, did we really think he was going to play third?

They scouted him and paid him for his potential with the stick. I don't think his defense was ever a huge priority with him.

Personally, I'm just happy to know we may have someone who can step in for Paulie after Kenny has dealt CC and Brandon Allen.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 10:15 PM)
I know it's not as exciting as 3b, but come on, judging from the guy's size, did we really think he was going to play third?

They scouted him and paid him for his potential with the stick. I don't think his defense was ever a huge priority with him.

Personally, I'm just happy to know we may have someone who can step in for Paulie after Kenny has dealt CC and Brandon Allen.

He better end up having one hell of a bat. Otherwise this was a wasted investment.

I still think he will end up in RF. I mean it makes too much sense especially for his cannon of an arm, not to mention we are very weak in RF prospects. Hell even LF I can end up seeing. (Pierre is here for two years, which I'll almost bank that is how long it might take for 20 year old Viciedo to develop in AAA, not to mention if Q is still around as the future RF) I don't think I want a 5'11 (I remember JPN saying he's actually shorter than that like 5'9-5'10) guy manning that position. (especially with errant throws to 1B.. would save alot of errors having a taller 1B there even if his D isn't that great)

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 10:18 PM)
He better end up having one hell of a bat. Otherwise this was a wasted investment.

Well you really didn't think he was signed for his defense, did you J4L?

I mean, his supposed ceiling is what got him eight-figures, not his footwork...

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 11:10 PM)

Really? You'd have a problem with him turning into a 1b?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 01:46 AM)
It's funny that Bell says the Sox will be slower with Mitchell than they would most No. 1s, yet they started him at Kanny. Not a very conservative start. Would they think about having him play there again?

I don't think so.

I think they could move him quickly... but they just wanted to temper expectations that he would move as quickly as Beckham.

IMO, I see him playing two more years in the minors.

QUOTE (False Alarm @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 09:44 AM)
of course they were gonna have to move viciedo off 3B eventually. you can't move the face of the franchise, mark teahan, off his position just for a prospect.

I chuckled, but Mark Teahen gets a lot of crap on this board and haven't played one game in the Sox uniform yet.

I follow him (his dog) on twitter and Mark really seems like a genuine and nice guy, I realize that probably doesn't make him a great baseball player, but let's give him a chance at least.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 10:27 PM)
I still think he will end up in RF. I mean it makes too much sense especially for his cannon of an arm, not to mention we are very weak in RF prospects. Hell even LF I can end up seeing. (Pierre is here for two years, which I'll almost bank that is how long it might take for 20 year old Viciedo to develop in AAA, not to mention if Q is still around as the future RF) I don't think I want a 5'11 (I remember JPN saying he's actually shorter than that like 5'9-5'10) guy manning that position. (especially with errant throws to 1B.. would save alot of errors having a taller 1B there even if his D isn't that great)

Nah, he's at least 5'11".

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 09:54 AM)
I chuckled, but Mark Teahen gets a lot of crap on this board and haven't played one game in the Sox uniform yet.

I follow him (his dog) on twitter and Mark really seems like a genuine and nice guy, I realize that probably doesn't make him a great baseball player, but let's give him a chance at least.

His dog?

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 03:54 PM)

i was just playin. i like the teahen move more than most on this board. the extension's a little risky but i thought he was a good acquisition.

One thing worth thinking about...I know they said "AAA" for him in this article, but on the off chance he struggles in ST or gets hurt and they want him to go to AA again, the only way to play both him and Morel would be to move him. And whether the team views Morel as a long term piece or not, they're not going to want to hold him up now that he's developing legit trade value.

The Sox signed Viciedo because they saw he has 40+ home run potential and could be an RBI machine. If the he hits the way he should, it doesn't matter where he plays. After watching the movie Sugar last night, I think Viciedo's numbers were great for his first year in the United States. We cannot imagine how stressful and uncomfortable it must have been for him, at 20 YEARS OLD, to be living thousands of miles from his family in a couple new environment, hitting .280 with 12 HRs (in a horrible hitters' park) and 78 RBIs was a tremendous accomplishment. This year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him double that HR total, especially in that park in Charlotte while maintaining his BA and improving plate discipline.