Viciedo at 1b?

Princess Dye

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 07:37 PM)
Here's a good Dayan report from Scouting the Sally. It's hard to fathom Dayan really struggling in his career as long as he puts in the work. The talent is there offensively.

Dayan Viciedo's 2009 season disappointed many as his .280/.317/.391 line in AA as a 20-year old was not quite up to par for an international signing who received an 8-figure signing bonus. In fairness to Viciedo, his season was solid if one peels away the prospect hype and considers age vs. projection. With many solid prospects being in full-season A at Viciedo's age, I ran the equivalency calculator to project what Viciedo would have done at the appropriate level. The results? A .352/.402/.493 line which would completely change the current prospect conversation about him.

That part made my eyes pop.

Definitely excited about Dayan's future.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 09:00 PM)
That part made my eyes pop.

Definitely excited about Dayan's future.

While I agree with his overall point, I think the idea that you can calculate what a player would have done at some other level is a little ridiculous. Its so full of guesswork that putting any sort of actual number to it is just pointless.

I'm pscyhed about Viciedo as well, I think if you take the whole picture into account, he did pretty well. But let's not get too attached so some fictitious SWAG stat line.

I love hearing about his bat speed, however I'm not so confident our system has shown the ability to make more compact swings. And I'd thought what we'd heard about his being out of shape was overblown, but now, I read again that he was. I don't know how the hell a professional athlete can be overweight, for the majority o f the day they are doing physical activity, and have a workout regimen.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 07:36 AM)
I love hearing about his bat speed, however I'm not so confident our system has shown the ability to make more compact swings. And I'd thought what we'd heard about his being out of shape was overblown, but now, I read again that he was. I don't know how the hell a professional athlete can be overweight, for the majority o f the day they are doing physical activity, and have a workout regimen.

Not that it matters much, but Beckham has one of the most compact swings I have seen come up in a long time. I say it doesn't matter much because it looks very similar to the swing he had at Georgia, but one can hope that the Sox minor league coaches can help Viciedo out.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 10:10 PM)
Scott Merkin gets on my god damn nerves. He seriously needs to take the White Sox dildo out his ass. And whoever it was that scouted Viciedo needs to be fired or something. A 1B? Whoopie!

This post is over the top in pretty much every way. Mainly because:

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 09:15 AM)
They paid Viciedo for his bat. Yes, its more valuable at 3B. But that part was always a crapshoot, and now it appears they are going to play around with his location on the field a bit, because soon it will be decision time.

Viciedo wasn't signed for his defense. He was signed for his bat potential because the kid can rake. If he hits at the MLB level like they hope he can, it doesn't matter what position he plays.

And I know this got tackled in another thread, but the Sox are under no pressure to make any sort of decision on him. He's under their control for a long time.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 07:36 AM)

Eating lots of bad foods.

• 2 weeks later...

Brent Morel seems to think so, i just talked to him n facebook.

Brent Morel

Clear Chat History

Couldn't retrieve chat history

1:39pmAaron

so whos better you or dayan?

so whos better you or dayan?

1:39pmBrent

i dont know.. ive never seen him play

1:42pmAaron

sorry for sendin that twice it just kinda happened...and thanks for respondin man i was just kinda bored and figured why not ask him lol....and i believe you're gonna be the better ball player fyi

1:42pmBrent

thanks i appreciate it.. i think hes moving to first anyways so we'll see

1:44pmAaron

good id like to see ya both up in the bigs in the next couple years

1:44pmBrent

ya me too

but im headed out man

take it easy

1:44pmAaron

have a good one bro.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 10:57 AM)
I think you see this far too narrowly. Yes, Teahen fills a gap. But he also improves the infield NOW, which is key. And he's also a bet that KW is willing to make, that he MIGHT turn into the player his potential seemed to dictate. If he does, then you have a good problem. If not, Morel and maybe Viciedo are behind him. Basically, KW did what he always seems to do - gave himself options.

The other aspect is that if Morel does come to the Sox while Teahen is here, Teahen has the versatility to be a utility guy for the IF and OF. So either way Teahen is a good type of player to have both now and for the next few years.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 15, 2010 -> 04:58 PM)
The other aspect is that if Morel does come to the Sox while Teahen is here, Teahen has the versatility to be a utility guy for the IF and OF. So either way Teahen is a good type of player to have both now and for the next few years.

absolutely, though i think hes gonna be a good ball player here in chicago and will be an everyday player.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)
While I agree with his overall point, I think the idea that you can calculate what a player would have done at some other level is a little ridiculous. Its so full of guesswork that putting any sort of actual number to it is just pointless.

I'm pscyhed about Viciedo as well, I think if you take the whole picture into account, he did pretty well. But let's not get too attached so some fictitious SWAG stat line.

You are so right. I can't fathom why some take so much stock in a clearly manufactured stat line.