2010 Minor League Catch-All Thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (flavum @ May 14, 2010 -> 11:24 PM)
Question for JPN--what's Andy Tomberlin's reputation as hitting coach at Birmingham? I'm looking at Gary Ward at Charlotte, and if Walker finally gets the boot, I'm wondering if Tomberlin is in the mix.

Nice guy, but I don't think he influences much.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
If Dubler or Gonzalez are promoted to W-S, all you need is a backup C at Kanny for a little while. Blackwood and Vaughn are just organizational filler, and I'm sure they'd be fine with filling in there for a while.

I think Blackwood deserves more credit. He's the 2008 Collegiate Rawlings Gold Glove Award recipient for his position in his division. He may be considered "organizational filler" now, but he's a hard worker and people see that, he'll be more than filler soon!

QUOTE (girlslikebaseballtoo#26 @ May 17, 2010 -> 02:14 PM)
I think Blackwood deserves more credit. He's the 2008 Collegiate Rawlings Gold Glove Award recipient for his position in his division. He may be considered "organizational filler" now, but he's a hard worker and people see that, he'll be more than filler soon!

Welcome to the board.

I'm going to guess... Chase is a friend of yours?

I don't know why Blackwood hasn't played at all in W-S. He got into two games in B'ham. Luis Sierra may be better used at second base now with Drew Garcia out. Let Bour start and Blackwood play once or twice a week.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 17, 2010 -> 03:19 PM)
I don't know why Blackwood hasn't played at all in W-S. He got into two games in B'ham. Luis Sierra may be better used at second base now with Drew Garcia out. Let Bour start and Blackwood play once or twice a week.

I agree 100%. I listened to the B'ham game in which Blackwood started and i heard nothing but compliments about the way he catches. I won't be surprised if we see him in a game soon. ..will definitely be disappointed if we don't, but hey, what can ya do?!

MyMLBDraft.com's updated mock draft has the White Sox selecting OF/RHP Bryce Brentz from Middle Tennessee State. They previously had the White Sox taking OF, Austin Wilson.

Baseball Rumor Mill has this to say about Brentz.

School: Middle Tennessee State

Drafted: Available for 2010 draft

Scouting Report: Brentz is one of the top outfield bats in the 2010 draft class, bringing a classic field skill set to the table. At the plate, Brentz utilizes quick wrists and a short path to the ball to produce above-average power to all fields and particularly impressive power to left field. He's clean and compact with some natural lift in his swing allowing for projection on both the hit tool and power tool. In the field he shows solid range for a corner outfielder and more than enough arm strength to hold down right field. He has room in his frame to add another 10-15 pounds and compares favorably to Nick Markakis in both frame and skill set. As a pitcher, Brentz throws with some effort and a short, quick arm action. His fastball was clocked at 90-89mph and his slider at 78-72mph. His fastball shows some run and projects to an average Major League pitch, lacking consistency and shape. Brentz also mixes in a solid changeup at 81-79mph, flashing solid fade. While a fine pitcher, Brentz's professional future is as and outfielder.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ May 17, 2010 -> 10:16 PM)
MyMLBDraft.com's updated mock draft has the White Sox selecting OF/RHP Bryce Brentz from Middle Tennessee State. They previously had the White Sox taking OF, Austin Wilson.

Baseball Rumor Mill has this to say about Brentz.

Wilson > Brentz

And I'm saying this right now and not after the fact. I'll be extremely disappointed if we don't take Wilson at #13 if he's on the board.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 17, 2010 -> 11:17 PM)
Wilson > Brentz

And I'm saying this right now and not after the fact. I'll be extremely disappointed if we don't take Wilson at #13 if he's on the board.

I still think we are taking a pitcher with our first pick. (and rightfully so) I don't think you'll be disappointed if it's the current M.O. we've been doing. (high upside guy) I got a few guys in mind, just hope we don't select a "safe" pick.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 18, 2010 -> 06:17 AM)
Wilson > Brentz

Last I heard, the Sox haven't even scouted him due to his contract demands.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 18, 2010 -> 06:17 AM)
Wilson > Brentz

Well be prepared for disappointment then. Getting yourself all amped up over selecting Wilson is stupid. He doesn't fit the mold of White Sox 1st round picks. They haven't gone with a high school player in round 1 since 2001 (Honel) and they don't go over slot. Sure it would be nice to see the White Sox break their budget and select him, but he may not even be the best player on the board at 13.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 18, 2010 -> 06:49 AM)
Last I heard, the Sox haven't even scouted him due to his contract demands.

Yeah I'm calling b.s. on this. Do you honestly think there's even the slightest chance that the White Sox, less than one month out from the draft, won't have scouted every potential 1st round player? They likely won't even know what Wilson's bonus demand is, and they won't have been able to get a good feel for his signability without meeting the guy. The White Sox will do their due diligence on basically every legit draft prospect, especially the top guys, even if they're unrealistic picks (i.e. Bryce Harper, who they will also have scouted).

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 18, 2010 -> 04:18 AM)
Well be prepared for disappointment then. Getting yourself all amped up over selecting Wilson is stupid. He doesn't fit the mold of White Sox 1st round picks. They haven't gone with a high school player in round 1 since 2001 (Honel) and they don't go over slot. Sure it would be nice to see the White Sox break their budget and select him, but he may not even be the best player on the board at 13.

Please don't remind me of what the "mold" of White Sox 1st round picks has been. That's one of the reasons this organization is in the mess they're in now. And you're right. Will continue to avoid Boras guys; avoid raw yet toolsy/high upside HS guys and go cheap as possible. That's what's worked so well in the past. Not. But you are right in that it's dumb to assume that even if Wilson is available at #13 that it's automatic there wouldn't be a better player. But it BETTER not come down to Wilson and Brentz. Brentz screams "safe" and "polished." Those words should be abolished from the White Sox dictionary.

I don't blame the Sox if they don't draft Wilson. Brentz is a pretty good prospect in his own right, has a nice tool-set, etc. There is no reason to get upset with the selection of him. I am just surprised all of these mocks have the Sox taking an OFer when the Sox seem to be saying they'll be looking at pitcher.

Raunado has continued to struggle a bit so its looking more likely that he'll be on the board at 13. Who knows how scared teams are of Ranaudo though. LSU's whole pitching staff has been struggling.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 18, 2010 -> 09:34 AM)
Yeah I'm calling b.s. on this. Do you honestly think there's even the slightest chance that the White Sox, less than one month out from the draft, won't have scouted every potential 1st round player? They likely won't even know what Wilson's bonus demand is, and they won't have been able to get a good feel for his signability without meeting the guy. The White Sox will do their due diligence on basically every legit draft prospect, especially the top guys, even if they're unrealistic picks (i.e. Bryce Harper, who they will also have scouted).

Yes, I know for a fact they don't scout every potential 1st round player. They didn't scout Porcello a few years back.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 18, 2010 -> 05:11 AM)
Yes, I know for a fact they don't scout every potential 1st round player. They didn't scout Porcello a few years back.

Not true, based upon my understanding, albeit limited, of the Sox draft process. But they are said to scout all of the top picks. Regardless of signability, etc. That stuff doesn't come into play until closer to draft day.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 18, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
Not true.

They had no intention of ever drafting Porcello. I remember telling Flash he was going to be very disappointed when he was saying there's no way the Sox won't take him if he continues to fall. Same holds true with Wilson, I believe. Sox are going to take a pitcher, as well they should with the first pick.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ May 18, 2010 -> 05:19 AM)
They had no intention of ever drafting Porcello. I remember telling Flash he was going to be very disappointed when he was saying there's no way the Sox won't take him if he continues to fall.

Whether they had an intention of drafting him or not, doesn't mean that they did not scout him at some point. The Sox scout thousands upon thousands of guys for at least a one year period and in fact, it can even be a multiple year period (you might see a junior or even sophomore with talent while you are scouting a high school senior or college junior/senior). They don't really mess with the actual draft board until much later. The biggest part of the draft preparation is all of the scouting that goes on.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 18, 2010 -> 02:19 PM)
They had no intention of ever drafting Porcello. I remember telling Flash he was going to be very disappointed when he was saying there's no way the Sox won't take him if he continues to fall. Same holds true with Wilson, I believe. Sox are going to take a pitcher, as well they should with the first pick.

How could they possibly know without scouting him?

If they go with a pitcher, then it sounds like Alex Wimmers is their guy. He's a very safe pick. Projects to go mid to late 1st round, with #3 starter kind of stuff (so he'll be on the board when the Sox pick). Low 90s fastball, nice curve, and decent change-up. He's pitched well for Ohio State this year.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ May 18, 2010 -> 03:09 PM)
If they go with a pitcher, then it sounds like Alex Wimmers is their guy. He's a very safe pick. Projects to go mid to late 1st round, with #3 starter kind of stuff (so he'll be on the board when the Sox pick). Low 90s fastball, nice curve, and decent change-up. He's pitched well for Ohio State this year.

I don't trust Big 10 pitchers. And taking guys with that type of stuff hasn't really worked out for the Sox.