Buehrle has had shoulder problems

RockRaines

Coop was on Tribune live today answering questions about the team and I thought the most interesting bit was that Mark was in alot of pain in his shoulder last season as it wore on. I've always thought Mark had a rubber arm and could routinely throw 200 innings each season, but it sounded like Coop was just trying to get him through the year.

Among those comments he spoke about Threets? How JJ's arm isnt completely healed yet and how Bobby is still the most important guy in the pen.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 03:07 AM)
They should have shut the whole team down so we could have got the worst record in baseball!

I really wish we could draft Bryce Harper. =)

What would be the chance of them actually taking Harper and having to deal with that Boras negotiation though?

Hopefully he will be OK. I just don't want to hear this best starters in the league stuff until they have done it. One or two of the starting five will go down for at least some of the time. Is Hudson ready? Where is Carrasco? Beurhle has been durable, limit his innings and maybe he will be alright.

QUOTE (since56 @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 10:54 PM)
Hopefully he will be OK. I just don't want to hear this best starters in the league stuff until they have done it. One or two of the starting five will go down for at least some of the time. Is Hudson ready? Where is Carrasco? Beurhle has been durable, limit his innings and maybe he will be alright.

Carrasco signed a minor league deal with the Pirates.

QUOTE (since56 @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 09:54 PM)
Hopefully he will be OK. I just don't want to hear this best starters in the league stuff until they have done it.

Going into the season, the rotation looks pretty damn good and it's a top 5 rotation in the league. Injuries can and have happened, but they haven't yet.

One or two of the starting five will go down for at least some of the time.

Prove it, right now, this second. One or two of the five COULD very easily go down for a period of time, but I don't think WILL go down for some time is even close to correct.

Is Hudson ready?

Ready enough.

Where is Carrasco?

In Pittsburgh. He started one game for the White Sox in the past 2 seasons, that's how much they trusted him. He signed a minor league contract with the Pittsburgh Pirates, that's how highly he was sought after. Carrasco is a mediocre pitcher who was barely used in non low-leverage situations.

Buerhle has been durable, limit his innings and maybe he will be alright.

Considering he's been a full-time starter for 9 years now, has had only one season with an ERA+ below 100 and only two seasons below 121, I'd say he's just fine. He knows how to take care of himself, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he went through a dead arm period late in the season. He has, throughout his entire career, generally had about a month stretch late in the season where he has nothing.

I think you worry a bit too much.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 09:59 PM)
Buehrle talked about working out more in the offseason and doing some more stuff like that. Hopefully it pays off.

Yea, a few months ago Buehrle talked about this, and how he's working with Hermy and Coop this offseason so he make sure he pitches like an All-Star all year.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 11:58 PM)
Isn't Buehrle taking part in a shoulder strengthening program this offseason for the first time? I thought I remember reading an article about him going to some camp that other players have had success with after attending.

Yes he is. Coop addressed that as well on CTL. Said he's looking real good.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 09:00 PM)
I wonder just how much that perfect game and the game afterwards really took out of him. He probably should have been shut down when it was obvious that the Sox weren't going anywhere.

The perfect game was one game, and a short one at that. I really don't think that had a physical impact. A mental one, perhaps. But remember too, the very next game he pitched, he went how many more perfect innings?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 10:07 PM)
Going into the season, the rotation looks pretty damn good and it's a top 5 rotation in the league. Injuries can and have happened, but they haven't yet.

Prove it, right now, this second. One or two of the five COULD very easily go down for a period of time, but I don't think WILL go down for some time is even close to correct.

Ready enough.

In Pittsburgh. He started one game for the White Sox in the past 2 seasons, that's how much they trusted him. He signed a minor league contract with the Pittsburgh Pirates, that's how highly he was sought after. Carrasco is a mediocre pitcher who was barely used in non low-leverage situations.

Considering he's been a full-time starter for 9 years now, has had only one season with an ERA+ below 100 and only two seasons below 121, I'd say he's just fine. He knows how to take care of himself, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he went through a dead arm period late in the season. He has, throughout his entire career, generally had about a month stretch late in the season where he has nothing.

I think you worry a bit too much.

What me worry? How many of our starting five were hurt last year? That would be all of them right? I'm just realistic it looks good on paper but lets see how it goes. I'm being realistic not pessimistic or optimistic. I still think you are a Sox fan with a cub's fan mentality.

QUOTE (since56 @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)
What me worry? How many of our starting five were hurt last year? That would be all of them right? I'm just realistic it looks good on paper but lets see how it goes. I'm being realistic not pessimistic or optimistic. I still think you are a Sox fan with a cub's fan mentality.

But couldn't all teams' starting pitchers have injuries. I think its a factual statement to note that the Sox have one of the top starting staffs in the bigs...right now. You can add the caveat "barring injury" to all teams on that list.

I don't understand your last sentence. Probably because I'm not a Cub fan...what is a "cubs fan mentality?"

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 01:19 PM)
But couldn't all teams' starting pitchers have injuries. I think its a factual statement to note that the Sox have one of the top starting staffs in the bigs...right now. You can add the caveat "barring injury" to all teams on that list.

I don't understand your last sentence. Probably because I'm not a Cub fan...what is a "cubs fan mentality?"

Mostly it is a weak argument employed by Sox fans when they have nothing intelligent to say...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 02:14 PM)
Mostly it is a weak argument employed by Sox fans when they have nothing intelligent to say...

That sounds a lot like a Cubs fan talking

Anyway, the injuries don't worry me.

Buehrle had a tired arm, which he's working with Herm to make sure doesn't happen this year like it has in the past.

Peavy's two injuries were due to running the bases in the NL, and taking a line drive to the shoulder (not likely to happen a lot)

Danks and Floyd had some odd issues, but they shouldn't be worried about that much.

Freddy is the wild card.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)
That sounds a lot like a Cubs fan talking

Anyway, the injuries don't worry me.

Buehrle had a tired arm, which he's working with Herm to make sure doesn't happen this year like it has in the past.

Peavy's two injuries were due to running the bases in the NL, and taking a line drive to the shoulder (not likely to happen a lot)

Danks and Floyd had some odd issues, but they shouldn't be worried about that much.

Freddy is the wild card.

No, Buehrle did not have a tired arm, he was in PAIN. His shoulder caused him problems to the point where he was in alot of pain when throwing. He lost velocity, location and spin on his pitches because of the pain.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
No, Buehrle did not have a tired arm, he was in PAIN. His shoulder caused him problems to the point where he was in alot of pain when throwing. He lost velocity, location and spin on his pitches because of the pain.

I don't know why but reading your post reminded me of the great line in Rocky III when the reporter asks Clubber Lang his prediction for the fight and he replies:

"PAIN!"