Andruw Jones in the Best Shape in a Decade?

Steve9347

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear, but there seems to be a glut of positive spin Sox stories out there.

Danks circulation problem...check.

Linebrink ready to go...check.

Jones in great shape (no need for another DH)...check.

Rios's swing is perfect after five swings...check.

It's all good for now, and I'm looking forward to this season, but I'm not buying into all of the hype. I'll believe the hype when translates to wins in April.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 11:37 AM)
Good to hear, but there seems to be a glut of positive spin Sox stories out there.

It's all good for now, and I'm looking forward to this season, but I'm not buying into all of the hype. I'll believe the hype when translates to wins in April.

Yeah it's the pre-spring training hype machine. Everyone is in great shape and feel the best they have ever felt when aren't going through the grind of a season.

the more i think about the jones deal, the more i actually really like it ...the guy had a OPS+ of an even 100 last year, and when he played the OFh last year he had UZR/15 of 24.9 (granted small sample size)

obviously his 07 and 08 campaigns were horrendous, but the guy clearly has potential to be above average with the bat if in fact he is in shape, and probably still above average in the field (especially given the fact that our ballpark is about the easiest OF to play)....an OF of pierre (whos defense is above average in LF despite the arm) Jones and Rios (with quentin DHing) would catch everything

The guy won a gold glove 96-2007, his last full season.. hasn't hit above .222 since 07 either, but I can see .245, 35 HR, 90 RBI, and good defense in the outfield if given a chance to play a full season in the cell..

So far, that looks like KW's plan unless there's an injury or Greg Walkers advice finally puts his average under .200... then I can see him going after Thome.

Edited by b-Rye

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 12:53 PM)
If Jones really is going to start for this team he needs to be playing the OF full-time with Q as the DH. We cannot waste Jones defensive advantages just to get Mark Kotsay ab's in the name of "flexibility."

Was thinking the same thing yesterday. My guess is he and Q will platoon a lot in RF with the majority of the starts in the field going to Jones eventually. This assumes no permanent or full-time DH is acquired.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 11:29 AM)
For Jones, there's more to it than being in shape, he has some serious technical things with his swing (see his 2005 season). Although that'd be a great sign.

This is what I was thinking. I remember his issues being pretty clearly illustrated on ESPN and Baseball tonite. When they broke down his swing it was easy to see why he was failing. Something in his mechanics had changed from when he was a productive to player to someone struggling to hit their weight. IIRC it had to do with his body mechanics and weight transfer. When they showed his before/after it was obvious whatever he was doing was creating a long loopy big swing and motion which was causing him to struggle to catch up to 90 MPH fastballs any anything breaking low & away in the zone. I am much more concerned with his swing mechanics at this point that his physical weight. Though being in shape does help at some point, but hey John Kruk had lucrative baseball career as a dough boy.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 11:37 AM)

And...

CQ looks like TCQ from 2008 (after Walker's visit in Oct)

Teahen a 3B fixture

Peavy is hungry

Buehrle is strengthening his arm

Destiny of coming to Sox finally realized for Pierre

Looks like they are going down the list of players:

I'm buying all of the hype...cause I'm an optimist unless, I hear a story like:

"Lillibridge putting it all together for 2010"

So what would you all rather hear, nothing? or...

- Jones said he's fat and should have retired but why do that when he can sit on a bench and make $500,000

- Greg Walker watched Rios's swing and said we are f#$%^ed.

- Jake Peavy said he misses the San Diego weather and wants to go home. He also thinks the Padres pitchers will out hit the White Sox DH platoon in 2010

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 10:33 AM)
For $500k, I am not worried at all. If he sucks, cut him. If we get something out of him, we are golden.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 10:37 AM)

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)
If you prefer doom & gloom, just read Soxtalk!

Yep, and I was just thinking at least Bobby hasn't been arrested . . .

I would not be surprised one bit if Andruw Jones was in the running for the comeback player of the year award. Think about it.... what if the guy can just somehow hit about .275 (wishful thinking I know) and 35 HRs and shows flashes of his former defensive prowess?

I wonder if CQ will be pissed if he has to become the full time DH...