The Jim Thome Saga Ends

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Ranger @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 03:54 PM)
I'm somewhat confused by this, as well. During the season, almost every bit of feedback I'd get on Thome was that fans were sick of his HR-or-nothing game and that they needed to trade/release/bench him. And now that he may not be coming back, people think the Sox need to sign him?

There are plenty of people that don't want him to return.

The camps are split fairly evenly.

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm somewhat confused by this, as well. During the season, almost every bit of feedback I'd get on Thome was that fans were sick of his HR-or-nothing game and that they needed to trade/release/bench him. And now that he may not be coming back, people think the Sox need to sign him?

"The fans want this and now they want that" is a pretty sticky statement. Which fans? We're not monolithic. I've always liked Thome. Even fans who don't like him may prefer him to the alternative (more ABs for would-be bench players).

A big part of that is the "grass is greener" ideals...

In the beginning of the offseason Thome was not on my shortlist for future DH. But with the current list and knowing our budget constraints, I feel its unconscionable to ignore this position that can so easily be improved. The most optimistic thing you can say about Jones/Kotsay is that they are unknowns, cause if we get the last 3 years production out of them, it's disgusting. Thome provides a near .370-380 OBP at least, a >.800 OPS at least as well and all that for probably 2 mill. It's about taking an easy step to improve the team instead of just going in with a s*** bunch out of delusional adherence to your idiotic managers wishes.

He was the most productive hitter on the team last year. Better than Konerko, Dye, Quentin, Beckham or anyone. He's been the most productive hitter on the team over the course of the last 4 years.

The idea of a rotating DH is not inherently bad or good. Rotating with who? Pujols, Teixeira, Alex Rodriguez, Hanley Ramirez? That would be great. Any configuration that would intend to give a starter's number of at bats to a combination of Mark Kotsay and Andruw Jones is not remotely acceptable. Anyone who would complain about Thome being "all-or-nothing" but would welcome giving at bats to Andruw Jones simply doesn't know what they are talking about. Wouldn't you agree?

The notion that we need to add another position player to add more flexibility is laughable.

Rios

Quentin

Pierre

Jones

Teahen

Kotsay

There's 6 guys who can play in the outfield. 3 of whom can play center. Andruw Jones as our 3rd best (maybe 2nd best) defensive centerfielder is probably better than Erstad, our 2007 starter. See also, Griffey, Mackowiak, Podsednik in recent years.

Ramirez

Beckham

Vizquel

There's 3 that can play shortstop. They and Teahen can play 2nd base.

The notion that we need to have a roster spot for "person to be inserted into a game when we are getting killed, but Ozzie can't put in bench players Omar Vizquel and Andruw Jones because that would be disrespectful to players who used to be great but no longer are and Ozzie got his feelings hurt when that happened to him at the end of his career," is disrespectful to the fans, who pay all of these people's salaries. Kotsay and Jones playing most every game when the far superior Thome is available for a small price is simply indefensible. And again, I fully believe Kenny is smarter than this. So I won't actually believe the above, s***ty scenario, until I actually see it.

The sox need another hitter, period. A power bat would be nice. But of the remaining names out there [that would have to be less than Nick Johnson's $5.5 mill.], tell me Randy Winn wouldn't give Ozzie some flexibility, as he could also play RF and LF, and DH. The sox don't have a 4th OFer besides Kotsay. De Aza may count but that remains to be seen.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 04:54 PM)

That's a pretty big generalization, Ranger. There's a pretty even divide here between the small ball types and the OPB guys.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 06:47 PM)
My bad. I guess my roster math is off.

Yeah. We're good on backup OF's. If anything, the only other position available is backup IF. It's why I come back to either Blalock or Hudson as worthy thoughts if we decide not to go with Thome. They can hit Left Handed (Hudson is switch), Hudson is really good with the glove and could take up serious IF time, Blalock could at least be an emergency situation backup IF.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 11:50 PM)
Yeah. We're good on backup OF's. If anything, the only other position available is backup IF. It's why I come back to either Blalock or Hudson as worthy thoughts if we decide not to go with Thome. They can hit Left Handed (Hudson is switch), Hudson is really good with the glove and could take up serious IF time, Blalock could at least be an emergency situation backup IF.

Blalock isn't bad. Esp. as he could play 2 spots in the IF, 3b and 1b, as well as DH. Hudson only plays 2b--like Nix.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 11:50 PM)

The sox still thin in the OF though. Jones just plays CF, IIRC. No one else plays LF besides Pierre. I don't think they'll move Quentin back to LF for a day here or there. Kotsay and Rios can both play RF.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 05:50 PM)

The odd part with Hudson, is that he's a Gold Glove 2B, and I could almost see a Teahen to RF, Gordon to 3rd, Quentin to DH and Hudson to 2B if we signed Hudson.

Geez-this guy can move here-this guy can hit here-too much emphasis on this-no successful team can do that every day and be cohesive-we have Jones who's been bad long enuf for me to at least consider he'll be bad again, Visquel is about to hit the wall, Kotsay gets hurt a lot-GIVE ME THOME or GIVE ME DEATH

Ranger, this board has a tendancy to fall in love with players. That said, and I am by no means wanting thome back, Ozzie and KW have put themselves into this corner. They could have just cut bait and moved on. KW did not do a good job with this whole scenerio. They all like thome, he is a nice guy who does everything the whitesox want. Hire him as a bench coach after nobody picks him up.

QUOTE (quickman @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 01:58 AM)
Ranger, this board has a tendancy to fall in love with players. That said, and I am by no means wanting thome back, Ozzie and KW have put themselves into this corner. They could have just cut bait and moved on. KW did not do a good job with this whole scenerio. They all like thome, he is a nice guy who does everything the whitesox want. Hire him as a bench coach after nobody picks him up.

I'm more frustrated that it seems to have put the Sox in a Thome or nothing position.

QUOTE (quickman @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 06:58 PM)

Are you serious? You'd much rather have him hit home runs for you.

Do all of you seriously think that Andruw Jones and Mark Kotsay can give you enough production out of a DH spot, the most offensive oriented spot in the lineup?

Thome is capable of putting up a .850 OPS, very few other players on this team can do that. Carlos Quentin and Paul Konerko might be the only ones capable of it at this point. Thome is an extremely valuable piece of the puzzle right now. Not because he's awesome, but because whatever we're going to use instead of him have proven nothing and will most likely produce nothing.