The Jim Thome Saga Ends

southsider2k5

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are still alot of decent free agent options available. Damon, Thome, Orlando Hudson, Felipe Lopez, Dye, Delgado,Blalock. Maybe the Sox are so set in stone not to bring Thome back because they want flexibility from the DH spot as someone who can also play D.

Maybe they want a guy like Lopez or Hudson, someone with good OBP skills, can play good defense, giving all the IF's a day off from time to time. Neither one of these guys are big power guys, but both would be excellent #2 hitters on this team, allowing Beckham to hit for more power lower in the order.

Maybe they want an OF who can platoon with Quentin at the DH spot/RF. Someone like Damon comes to mind.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 02:21 PM)
There are still alot of decent free agent options available. Damon, Thome, Orlando Hudson, Felipe Lopez, Dye, Delgado,Blalock. Maybe the Sox are so set in stone not to bring Thome back because they want flexibility from the DH spot as someone who can also play D.

Maybe they want a guy like Lopez or Hudson, someone with good OBP skills, can play good defense, giving all the IF's a day off from time to time. Neither one of these guys are big power guys, but both would be excellent #2 hitters on this team, allowing Beckham to hit for more power lower in the order.

Maybe they want an OF who can platoon with Quentin at the DH spot/RF. Someone like Damon comes to mind.

Damon's a DH and nothing more. Having him in the OF scares me.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
This reminds me so much of last year. Going into season, we all knew that Wise in the leadoff/CF spot was going to be a disaster. If you go with Kotsay/Jones at DH, you deserve to get no contributions from the DH spot.

That is a damn-good point. Ozzie wanted to use Wise, too, just like how Ozzie wants flexibility at DH vs production.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)
That is a damn-good point. Ozzie wanted to use Wise, too, just like how Ozzie wants flexibility at DH vs production.

It does seem like Ozzie often wants to try and reinvent the game. He comes up with these crazy ideas it seems that don't ever work. I wish KW just gave him a good DH bat, said here is your new DH, start this guy, forget about Jones/Kotsay, if you can't we will find a manager who will.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
Damon's a DH and nothing more. Having him in the OF scares me.

But...there are more than a few teams out there who Damon in one of the corner OF spots would be an upgrade. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for him to sign as a DH if he can still find someone to pay him to play the field; you'd be paying that premium price for a guy who can still occasionally catch the ball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)
But...there are more than a few teams out there who Damon in one of the corner OF spots would be an upgrade. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for him to sign as a DH if he can still find someone to pay him to play the field; you'd be paying that premium price for a guy who can still occasionally catch the ball.

His defense diminishes his offensive value though. He's not much worse than Quentin in LF, but in RF, that's another story.

I know some guys take pride in playing defense, but maybe Damon will keep himself away from the OF in order to stay healthy.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 04:55 PM)
Maybe this was answered before and I missed it, but for example we do sign Damon, do we just cut Jones? Because having one backup infielder in Vizquel just won't fly? Or do we go with 11 pitchers instead?

Last thing I would worry about is a backup infielder if we got Damon. Sign some minor leaguers for depth at Charlotte or hope Nix accepts a DFA there. Or just sign someone out of a job later in the season if need be.

I would jump out of my shoes if we got Damon, he makes so much sense for this lineup IMO.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 02:55 PM)
Maybe this was answered before and I missed it, but for example we do sign Damon, do we just cut Jones? Because having one backup infielder in Vizquel just won't fly? Or do we go with 11 pitchers instead?

Do not worry now about who to cut. Someone will get hurt or underperform this spring. It's January, and the initial 25-man roster isn't finalized until Opening Day.

Worry now about whom the Sox will elevate from the 40-man roster when the first non-pitcher has to be replaced.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 02:55 PM)

We aren't signing Johnny Damon. If we sign anyone, it will be Thome. If not, I really am now believing this is the group we go to camp with.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
True, when april 2nd rolls around i'll first be reminded of how awful pierre is before being reminded 4 abs later how atrocious our DH rotation is.

And I think its absolutely silly to go into the season knowing you have a gigantic hole at DH just so you know you have some resources to fill it later.

I think you might just be one of those kids that thinks everything is always terrible. 23 is a little too young to already hate everything, isn't it? Everything is not either "great" or "terrible"...there is such a thing as a middle ground. And there is also such a thing as not having to have everything be ideal in order for the whole to be successful.

That said, I disagree with "gigantic" but that spot in the order is currently not a strength and is a concern. However, maintaining some midseason payroll flexibility is actually kind of smart. Teams rarely exhaust themselves financially before a season begins, unless they're presented with a can't-miss opportunity during the offseason.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 03:17 PM)
I think you might just be one of those kids that thinks everything is always terrible. 23 is a little too young to already hate everything, isn't it? Everything is not either "great" or "terrible"...there is such a thing as a middle ground. And there is also such a thing as not having to have everything be ideal in order for the whole to be successful.

That said, I disagree with "gigantic" but that spot in the order is currently not a strength and is a concern. However, maintaining some midseason payroll flexibility is actually kind of smart. Teams rarely exhaust themselves financially before a season begins, unless they're presented with a can't-miss opportunity during the offseason.

Having an OPS of about .730, which is what Kotsay/Jones is likely to produce, is a pretty big weak spot - especially when there are guys out there who would sign for cheap that could give you .850 or better. Its not the end of the world, as the team is pretty good otherwise, but its a pretty big glaring hole. You don't leave that kind of hole, when you can do better, on the hopes that MAYBE you get something later in the season.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 04:20 PM)
Having an OPS of about .730, which is what Kotsay/Jones is likely to produce, is a pretty big weak spot - especially when there are guys out there who would sign for cheap that could give you .850 or better. Its not the end of the world, as the team is pretty good otherwise, but its a pretty big glaring hole. You don't leave that kind of hole, when you can do better, on the hopes that MAYBE you get something later in the season.

Unless, for example, you're 95% certain that you can get the deal done and the other team (SD?) is waiting on something else, like seeing how guys start off this season in the minors or the point that they can get Mitchell without him being a PTBNL or something along those lines.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 03:03 PM)
Last thing I would worry about is a backup infielder if we got Damon. Sign some minor leaguers for depth at Charlotte or hope Nix accepts a DFA there. Or just sign someone out of a job later in the season if need be.

I would jump out of my shoes if we got Damon, he makes so much sense for this lineup IMO.

Damon would be nice but makes Jones expendable, I doubt he wants to sit on bench and pinch hit and really wouldn't be needed for Defensive replacement.... I think the Sox are gonna try and have him start as much as possible if he has a decent spring training... I don't see us getting Thome or Damon, because KW thinks he can get lightning in a bottle for 500k. Remember KW is cheap and payroll is probably "Maxed Out" again, then he'll trade some prospects in June/July for a 5 million a year bat who is overpaid. (Rios, Castro, Griffey, Swisher recent trades/claims)... and I know none of the prospects have amounted to anything but it will happen eventually.

Personally, I'd rather see Nady signed cheaper than Damon or Thome. He can play 1B/OF and start everyday.. and move kotsay. (Nady could probably be signed around same price as Kotsay)

Edited by b-Rye

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
Unless, for example, you're 95% certain that you can get the deal done and the other team (SD?) is waiting on something else, like seeing how guys start off this season in the minors or the point that they can get Mitchell without him being a PTBNL or something along those lines.

OK, if its like 99% a done deal, then maybe. But that seems really odd to me - because you'd just use PTBNL if that's all that's holding things up. I just doubt its anything that solid.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 09:30 PM)
Cowley says Ozzie to talk to media in a little while... might be a 'No' on Thome.

Sadly, this seems like a situation where Ozzie wants to show he's smarter than everyone. I'm fine with that, as long as he's held accountable.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)
Sadly, this seems like a situation where Ozzie wants to show he's smarter than everyone. I'm fine with that, as long as he's held accountable.

Why would he be....although I think he should. He still thinks Wise was the right move as was Mackowiak in center. If Jones/Kotsay post s*** numbers, they trade for Dunn in June or July hopefully.

For $1M, bringing in Thome is a no brainer and then you can Carlton Fisk him in June if he is sucking.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)
Why would he be....although I think he should. He still thinks Wise was the right move as was Mackowiak in center. If Jones/Kotsay post s*** numbers, they trade for Dunn in June or July hopefully.

For $1M, bringing in Thome is a no brainer and then you can Carlton Fisk him in June if he is sucking.

There's going to be more heat on Ozzie than ever this season if we go with his "rotating DH" idea. Even KW has said it's Ozzie's call. You combine that with Thome possibly going to a Twins team that has a loaded offense, and it's going to be interesting.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 03:38 PM)

I hate to keep bringing this up, but accountability does seem to be an issue here. JR did recently say that it is difficult to hold Ozzie accountable if they don't provide him with the team he asks for. Seems like there is a struggle about how closely to follow his vision, and the closer it is followed, the more accountable he will be held.