The Jim Thome Saga Ends

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 12:50 PM)
Ozzie: "Well, if I want one guy out there, I want (Thome). I already talk to Kenny about that."

If the Sox get Thome, Ozzie better not play him as the full time DH batting third or fourth in the order. If that's the case, I hope they don't re-sign him.

What I would like to see is the Sox sign Thome for $2M or less, and platoon him at DH with Nix (or Jones if Jones makes a miraculous showing in ST). Bat him around fifth in the order, but late in games when it's a key situation and they bring in a tough left hander to face him, pinch hit for him. Using Thome like this would make him a great asset to this team. Misusing him as a full time DH and relying on him to carry the offense would make him a liability.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 02:01 PM)
If the Sox get Thome, Ozzie better not play him as the full time DH batting third or fourth in the order. If that's the case, I hope they don't re-sign him.

What I would like to see is the Sox sign Thome for $2M or less, and platoon him at DH with Nix (or Jones if Jones makes a miraculous showing in ST). Bat him around fifth in the order, but late in games when it's a key situation and they bring in a tough left hander to face him, pinch hit for him. Using Thome like this would make him a great asset to this team. Misusing him as a full time DH and relying on him to carry the offense would make him a liability.

to spin off what this guy was talking about, in the event this does happen and we are platooning Jim Jones and jones fails like a lot of you think he will (im not one of em i think he'll do well but) do the sox just go with...

A. Thome all the time

over

B. Now that we resigned Castro Platoon Tyler Thome

or

C. you want Tyler to spend the season behind the plate to sharpen his skills and not have him DH so you go to a Jim Nix platoon

or

D. Give the job to Dayan assuming he has a good spring and early season and have him sit on the bench with thome and talk hitting so you go with Dayan Thome

so

A.Thome

B.Tyler Thome

C.Jim Nix

D.Dayan Thome

E.Jim Jones isnt gonna fail so this poll is pointless

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 12:44 PM)
to spin off what this guy was talking about, in the event this does happen and we are platooning Jim Jones and jones fails like a lot of you think he will (im not one of em i think he'll do well but) do the sox just go with...

A. Thome all the time

over

or

C. you want Tyler to spend the season behind the plate to sharpen his skills and not have him DH so you go to a Jim Nix platoon

or

D. Give the job to Dayan assuming he has a good spring and early season and have him sit on the bench with thome and talk hitting so you go with Dayan Thome

so

A.Thome

B.Tyler Thome

C.Jim Nix

D.Dayan Thome

Just don't put him in charge of the Gatorade bucket...

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 01:44 PM)

A. Thome all the time

over

or

or

so

A.Thome

B.Tyler Thome

C.Jim Nix

D.Dayan Thome

Maybe you should use "Jim Jones" as a nickname for Jones and Thome. Somehow, I don't see it catching on.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 01:03 PM)
I don't think some of you realize that if we DON'T get Thome (or trade for someone), our DH spot is going to be MARK KOTSAY and ANDRUW JONES.

I'll rephrase: OMAR VIZQUEL WILL SEE TIME AS OUR DH

I wouldn't put it past Ozzie, but I think the idea is that Vizquel would play the field with the guy he's replacing acting as the DH for a day to get a rest. And although it's still pretty bad to have a guy like Alexei DHing, the worst part is figuring on Vizquel getting 350+AB during the season, maybe even 400+. That's frightening.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
A lot of outside people think this, I don't know why.

me. u's act like thome is god or something, hell he may be awful and get hurt. our offense isnt going to suck or be better, just bcuz of thome. and yes ill take jones and kotsay and whoever needs a day off , over thome. im sick of hr or nothing, old base cloggers. just my opinion, and eveyone has their own opinoin and no one is right or wrong. plz no :pray

me. u's act like thome is god or something, hell he may be awful and get hurt. our offense isnt going to suck or be better, just bcuz of thome. and yes ill take jones and kotsay and whoever needs a day off , over thome. im sick of hr or nothing, old base cloggers. just my opinion, and eveyone has their own opinoin and no one is right or wrong. plz no

Im with you man, as I said before - the only scenario I like thome as DH is strictly Platoon.

QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 02:34 PM)
Im with you man, as I said before - the only scenario I like thome as DH is strictly Platoon.

and no its not jones, kotsay or vizquel only thats going to be in the dh spot. guys that need a day off will be there. i think we need a rotation bcuz guys like pk and cq, for example ,really need could benefit from that. and like they were saying on the score, thome simply isnt good unless hes getting reg ab's

I'm going to be sure that if he joins the Twins that I'm in attendance for a game that he's playing in. I'm going to cheer as loudly as I can and cheer against the Sox while he's playing, much like when Frank hit that home run in his first game back as an A's player. It would be ridiculous to believe that we can use a DH spot with a platoon the whole year. No thanks. Bring Thome back, Guillen and Williams, you jackasses.

QUOTE (The Beast @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 03:03 PM)
I'm going to be sure that if he joins the Twins that I'm in attendance for a game that he's playing in. I'm going to cheer as loudly as I can and cheer against the Sox while he's playing, much like when Frank hit that home run in his first game back as an A's player. It would be ridiculous to believe that we can use a DH spot with a platoon the whole year. No thanks. Bring Thome back, Guillen and Williams, you jackasses.

We cant take it to this level for a guy who's going to be 40 soon. We already had some signs of decline last year.

If he's back we're better, but I'm not going to injure myself over it.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
me. u's act like thome is god or something, hell he may be awful and get hurt. our offense isnt going to suck or be better, just bcuz of thome. and yes ill take jones and kotsay and whoever needs a day off , over thome. im sick of hr or nothing, old base cloggers. just my opinion, and eveyone has their own opinoin and no one is right or wrong. plz no :pray

It's NOT homerun or nothing! He walks 100 times a year! He'll reach base 50 more times next year than jones or kotsay, easily.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 03:14 PM)
We cant take it to this level for a guy who's going to be 40 soon. We already had some signs of decline last year.

If he's back we're better, but I'm not going to injure myself over it.

Is there anyone out there besides what we have or Thome that makes sense for DH? I'm just curious because Jones seems to be on the decline as well as far as numbers go. Not sure about Vizquel or Kotsay's stats, though.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)

You obviously know nothing about Andruw Jones.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 11:13 PM)
I thought we wanted to get past the station to station baseball we've had the "enjoyment" of watching the last few seasons...I like Big Jim as much as the next guy but time to move on.

I'm somewhat confused by this, as well. During the season, almost every bit of feedback I'd get on Thome was that fans were sick of his HR-or-nothing game and that they needed to trade/release/bench him. And now that he may not be coming back, people think the Sox need to sign him?