Relationship Advice Thread

witesoxfan

Girls really, really like it when you make them feel sexy and give them positive attention (not to the point of being a "simp" or looking like a p**** though... it's a general rule that doesn't have that many exceptions). If you can pull this off you can get away with saying pretty much anything (within reason). I did this before I got married and after, although I'm sure that the reason I can pull off some of these things is because I'm married and women know I'm mostly joking around and don't see me as an actual "threat." But still, I could pull lots of women if I wanted... I never had a problem in that department.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 12:57 PM)
Girls really, really like it when you make them feel sexy and give them positive attention (not to the point of being a "simp" or looking like a p**** though... it's a general rule that doesn't have that many exceptions). If you can pull this off you can get away with saying pretty much anything (within reason).

"So when you gonna let me hit it?" ;)

So what is everyone doing for their ladies for Valentine's Day?

I have to work Sunday night (I know, darn), so I am sending a bouquet of different colored roses (why the hell do flowers cost $125??) and also giving her a pair of sunglasses she has wanted. I am sure I will be forced to pay for an expensive dinner at some point too, but at least not this weekend.

What about you guys?

Any of the single guys planning on making a move on a lovely lady you know?

I'm 0-2 in gifts. I got her a kindle for her birthday that she hasn't touched since she opened it and got her a Droid for Christmas that she can't figure out how to use. Any ideas from you guys would be great...

Actually, 0-3...she still hasn't used the $100 gift card for the massage joint in Algonquin.

QUOTE (chwhtsox @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 02:37 PM)
I'm 0-2 in gifts. I got her a kindle for her birthday that she hasn't touched since she opened it and got her a Droid for Christmas that she can't figure out how to use. Any ideas from you guys would be great...

Actually, 0-3...she still hasn't used the $100 gift card for the massage joint in Algonquin.

Since you did all these great things for her and she doesnt appreciate them, maybe now you should ignore her.

;)

FWIW, the asshole thing has always worked well for me, but like someone previously mentioned, you should only really use this on a girl who you have already established some sort of rapport with. But I tend to go with the sarcastic asshole route. Just turn their words around on them, be sarcastic and funny, keep them laughing and you'll be fine.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 02:58 PM)
Since you did all these great things for her and she doesnt appreciate them, maybe now you should ignore her.

;)

I haven't talked to my wife in 6 months...I do enjoy clean clothes and dinner every once in awhile so I buy the gifts.

QUOTE (chwhtsox @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 10:07 AM)
The thing you have to keep in mind is that you can't make it seem like you're going out of your way to be an ***hole. In your hypothetical situation it should go like this...

Girl A is at the bar. you walk up. "bartender, can I get another one of what she's having" The bartender hands you the drink and you slide it over to her friend (girl B ) and walk away.

I haven't had much success with that approach so I'll give you one that I have had success with.

Girl A is at the bar. you walk up. "bartender, can I get another one of what she's having and a miller lite", give her the drink. find out her name and hang out with her a bit. I've had the most success "people watching", making fun of people in the bar. Nobody criticizes people like women do, they love it. The point is to get her laughing. She will see that you can be an ***hole but she'll keep talking to you because it's not directed at her. The first night isn't so much about being an ***hole as it is showing her your sense of humor. You want to show her a good time the first night. After that you wait 2 or 3 days before talking to her again, the ***hole in you should be natural. You're in no hurry to make plans and the general attitude is "whatever". An important note is that you don't want to be an ***hole everyday. You have to show her flashes of that guy she had fun with at the bar. It's a fine line that will take a lot of practice to master.

The approach seems to work, I just haven't developed my personality yet. What I mean by that is I haven't really fleshed out yet who I want to be. I used to be a deep introvert who was opposed to social events and was satisfied with limited contacts, nights of video games and doing nothing but World of Warcraft and other bulls*** of the like. Now I am going out, trying to polish up on some social skills I missed out on my first year of college and am generally just wanting to have a good time and meet new people. That sounds like a good approach to take. I just need to remember to stay clear of the friend zone and get to know something concrete about her.

Two questions --

I'm going to be 22 and I think the appropriate age range is 20-24. I don't go for 17-19 year olds. Is my age range a good target?

What's more important on getting, the email or the phone number?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 10:10 AM)
Honestly, I've found the best way to get in well with girls is to have some friends who are girls. The easiest thing is to be nice to your buddies' girlfriends, and they will pass this on to their friends. I'd have to say the vast majority of my girlfriends were picked up this way.

Funny you mention that - the guys I have hung with generally don't have girlfriends and the one who has a girlfriend is friends with a bunch of b****es. Not to mention they are all the artsy type who latch onto their little clique of friends.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 10:36 AM)
You are taking the conversation prior out of context Ross. The "play hard to get/be an ass" scenario was discussed about guys who already had established friend relationships with girls and were unsure about their standing with those girls.

If you want to walk up and be a prick right off the bat at a bar, prepare to wipe a few drinks off your face.

The concept of being cocky and funny is foreign to me. I'm the guy who gets too caught up in the friend zone.

As far as Valentine's Day goes, if I was back home I would definitely treat my current female of interest out and indulge in a long evening of sex.

Edited by The Beast

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 12:46 PM)
^^I love my wife but living with her is really annoying at times. Some stuff I know can't be helped, like how I burn through toilet paper 5x as fast because there are 2 females in the house, other stuff not so much, like... well too many to mention, a bunch of small s*** that drives me crazy.

I hear she has the same problems with you...

Sorry I couldn't leave that slam dunk alone.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
So what is everyone doing for their ladies for Valentine's Day?

I have to work Sunday night (I know, darn), so I am sending a bouquet of different colored roses (why the hell do flowers cost $125??) and also giving her a pair of sunglasses she has wanted. I am sure I will be forced to pay for an expensive dinner at some point too, but at least not this weekend.

What about you guys?

Any of the single guys planning on making a move on a lovely lady you know?

Nothing actually on V-day, but through my work at the radio station, I talked the owner into giving us a free night certificate at a local resort that advertises with them. We are doing it two weeks after Vday.

QUOTE (The Beast @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 05:40 PM)
I'm going to be 22 and I think the appropriate age range is 20-24. I don't go for 17-19 year olds. Is my age range a good target?

What's more important on getting, the email or the phone number?

You're age range is fine. The 17-19 year olds are fun if you want to hook up, but if you're looking for a relationship, the more intellectual/mature is the way to go.

And the 2nd question honestly baffles me a bit. If you meet a girl and ask her for her email address...well s***, I dunno. I'm baffled. Get the phone number. ALWAYS.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 05:43 PM)
I hear she has the same problems with you...

Sorry I couldn't leave that slam dunk alone.

I pretty much walked into that one.

My friend earlier was complaining that he wasn't getting any snow where he lived, and he said he had 4 inches at most. That joke basically told itself, all I had to do was repeat what he just said.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 04:49 PM)
You're age range is fine. The 17-19 year olds are fun if you want to hook up, but if you're looking for a relationship, the more intellectual/mature is the way to go.

And the 2nd question honestly baffles me a bit. If you meet a girl and ask her for her email address...well s***, I dunno. I'm baffled. Get the phone number. ALWAYS.

Time to stop with reading David DeAngelo's content. What a bastard. I'm definitely looking for a relationship so I'll stick with 20-24.

This thread is ridiculous. I am laughing at all the "be a dick to her" advice.

Here's a thought: do you really want to be with someone who prefers you to be an asshole to them?

Maybe it's an age thing - most girls out of college are not interested in bulls***. Just be honest and nice and it'll happen.

QUOTE (The Beast @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 04:53 PM)
Time to stop with reading David DeAngelo's content. What a bastard. I'm definitely looking for a relationship so I'll stick with 20-24.

Oh brother. Read those books for laughs, not to learn how to interact with women...

Ross, just keep your mind open and roll with it. You don't even know who you are yet, so how can you possibly know what it is you want?

My advice would be to just seek out activities on campus. Even those you're not sure you would be interested in. Force yourself to get out there and just interact with people. Say hello, introduce yourself, and as long as you aren't a complete asshole or totally f***ing weird, you'll do fine. You just need to make contacts and see who and what makes you happy. Once you figure those things out, you can hone in the details a bit more.