Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 10:14 AM)
Geographically Arkansas would fit but I have no idea why Arkansas would even entertain the idea of leaving the SEC for the Big 12.

Arkansas hasn't found a rival in the SEC. They apparently miss their Big 12 rivalries from the SWC days. They also thought they would go into the SEC and be a big dog, similar to A&M's thinking, and got thoroughly rejected.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From what Ive read the entire Arkansas/ND things were created rumors. There may have been something with Jerry Jones saying he wants Arkansas in the Big 12, but im pretty sure the Arkansas AD came out and said they are happy with the SEC.

ND to the Big 12 would be hilarious though. I can just see them trading in their game against Michigan for a game against Kansas.

Cause you have to believe that if ND spit in the Big 10's face, the teams wouldnt schedule them for a while.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 10:07 AM)
I don't get it. Notre Dame's academic standards really aren't that amazing. I might offend some ND grads here, but they are the midwest version of USC. It is an expensive school but much easier to get into than some of the good and even decent public institutions. And there MBA program in terms of the grades/etc you need to get in is a joke.

ND is academically well above any school currently in the Big 12.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 10:07 AM)
I don't get it. Notre Dame's academic standards really aren't that amazing. I might offend some ND grads here, but they are the midwest version of USC. It is an expensive school but much easier to get into than some of the good and even decent public institutions. And there MBA program in terms of the grades/etc you need to get in is a joke.

Comparing them to USC is fairly accurate (US News ranks Notre Dame #20 and USC #26) but stating that their academic standards are not amazing is off base, in my opinion. The list of schools ahead of them are pretty much the Ivy League, University of Chicago, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Johns Hopkins, Duke, and Stanford.

Edited by BaseballNick

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 11:59 AM)
From what Ive read the entire Arkansas/ND things were created rumors. There may have been something with Jerry Jones saying he wants Arkansas in the Big 12, but im pretty sure the Arkansas AD came out and said they are happy with the SEC.

ND to the Big 12 would be hilarious though. I can just see them trading in their game against Michigan for a game against Kansas.

Cause you have to believe that if ND spit in the Big 10's face, the teams wouldnt schedule them for a while.

Of course, AD's have a lot less to do with it than the Presidents/Chancellors.

Well here is the quote from the Arkansas AD:

http://blogs.nwaonline.com/slophouse/2010/...ted-to-the-sec/

“In recent weeks and months there has been much national dialogue regarding conference affiliation in intercollegiate athletics. In the course of that dialogue some have suggested that the University of Arkansas was an institution that may be pursued by other conferences. From the beginning, we have been very clear that the University of Arkansas is a proud member of the Southeastern Conference and has no interest in joining another conference. Chancellor Gearhart has been unwavering in his support of our institution’s continued membership in the SEC. Recent events have not in any way altered our commitment or desire to remain a member of what we believe is the strongest conference in the nation.”

Outside of the University of Texas, I havent seen anyone buy into this rumor.

Chip Brown is a rumormonger, Ive been reading is website consistently since this whole story broke.

He has changed the story so many times its ridiculous.

To put things in perspective, his first breaking story was that Missouri to the Big 10 was a lock.

(edit)

here is the article that generated the rumor:

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2010/jun/16/...nsas-come-down/

Jones, according to a source familiar with his thinking, wants his alma mater to play in a league with former Southwest Conference rivals Texas and Texas A&M.

That means some one, who may know Jerry Jones believes that Jones is thinking about something like this.

Its so speculative. All of these sites are trying to generate press like Orangebloods and get their name in the news.

Its turning out most of them dont have many facts or sources.

Edited by Soxbadger

ND would never join the Big 12 I think because if they are forced join a conference they're going to try and keep as many of their rivalries as possibly and they don't have any rivalries with a big 12 school.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 10:17 PM)
ND would never join the Big 12 I think because if they are forced join a conference they're going to try and keep as many of their rivalries as possibly and they don't have any rivalries with a big 12 school.

Speaking of that, interesting trivia... ND has played every school in the Big 12 at least once, except one - Iowa State.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 09:41 AM)
Pac 10 commish Larry Scott wanted to substitute Kansas for Okie State at the last minute, no wonder they supported the Big 12 deal. Looks like Texas Tech was the lone screwee.

I thought Kansas was a substitute for A&M, when it became apparent that the Aggies wanted to go the SEC route?

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 12:05 PM)
I thought Kansas was a substitute for A&M, when it became apparent that the Aggies wanted to go the SEC route?

It was a mess. Pac 10 wanted Kansas IF A&M was a part of the group as well.

Then again it could be Chip Brown blowing smoke again. Chip let his 15 minutes get to his head, he started bothering Erin Andrews on Twitter asking her why she didn't follow him. :huh:

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)
Why doesn't OU have more power? Why does Texas control all. It isn't like they are some small school. They have an exceptional football program (oen of the best in college football history) and recently a pretty strong basketball program.

Do you really have to ask that?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 08:24 AM)
How did I miss this post?

No, he's not. He's the ranking Republican. He could be the chair next year, but not likely.

You're right. One of the news programs here in Iowa said that he was and I just regurgitated it.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL, Seriously? What is with the athletic teams in cities where I live?

Police are continuing to investigate an early morning bar brawl Friday allegedly involving a number of Tennessee football players that left an off-duty Knoxville police officer unconscious after being kicked repeatedly while he was on the ground.

Freshman receiver Da'Rick Rogers, one of the Volunteers' most heralded signees under first-year coach Derek Dooley, was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, according to Knoxville Police Department spokesman Darrell DeBusk.

Also, sophomore safety Darren Myles Jr. was arrested and charged with assaulting a University of Tennessee police officer, as well as resisting arrest and evading arrest, according to an affidavit.

Rogers, 18, was released on $1,000 bond later Friday morning, and Myles, 19, was released on $2,000 bond. It was not clear if either player had an attorney.

DeBusk said he anticipates there will be more arrests once police are able to speak with Knoxville Police Department officer Robert Capouellez, who remains in a Knoxville hospital and is undergoing treatment for a head wound.

A second victim, whose name has not been released, also was sent to the hospital and was being treated for multiple injuries.

Debusk said Capouellez, 24, was hit in the head while trying to break up a fight in Bar Knoxville, which is located on the Cumberland Avenue strip near campus. The fight had spilled outside, and Capouellez was knocked to the ground and kicked more than once before the suspect ran away.

"We've heard that anywhere from seven to 10 people were involved in the incident inside the bar, and we believe the majority of them are associated with the UT football team," DeBusk said.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 03:28 PM)
ESPN to add a third hour to ESPN College Football Gameday. What more can they talk about for another hour?

link

Yeah and how many college kids are going to want to wake up at 8am on a Saturday?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 05:37 PM)
Yeah and how many college kids are going to want to wake up at 8am on a Saturday?

We tailgate early here. I don't know what the problem is in Columbia. :P