Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 09:53 AM)
Which site was better?

I can't think of another domed stadium anywhere in Big 10 12 country except Detroit.

I think its the best for the fans. As much as I like the outside stadiums and whatnot, it is centrally located and is a great stadium. They will serve booze most likely as well.

USA Today Poll

RK TEAM RECORD PTS

1 Alabama (55) 0-0 1469

2 Ohio State (4) 0-0 1392

3 Florida 0-0 1245

4 Texas 0-0 1240

5 Boise State 0-0 1215

6 Virginia Tech 0-0 1052

7 TCU 0-0 1051

8 Oklahoma 0-0 1035

9 Nebraska 0-0 1001

10 Iowa 0-0 952

11 Oregon 0-0 940

12 Wisconsin 0-0 778

13 Miami (FL) 0-0 728

14 Penn State 0-0 508

15 Pittsburgh 0-0 492

16 LSU 0-0 476

17 Georgia Tech 0-0 455

18 North Carolina 0-0 445

19 Arkansas 0-0 438

20 Florida State 0-0 374

21 Georgia 0-0 312

22 Oregon State 0-0 263

23 Auburn 0-0 260

24 Utah 0-0 169

24 West Virginia 0-0 169

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 12:03 PM)
I think its the best for the fans. As much as I like the outside stadiums and whatnot, it is centrally located and is a great stadium. They will serve booze most likely as well.

If everything goes well then perhaps you attempt an open-air Midwestern stadium (Soldier, Cleveland, Cinci) or if you get desperate, the Metrodome, after the first year or two.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
If everything goes well then perhaps you attempt an open-air Midwestern stadium (Soldier, Cleveland, Cinci) or if you get desperate, the Metrodome, after the first year or two.

I would love to have it in Chicago, but like I said, Im biased. Indy is a decent city, but it also doesnt have the same appeal as Chicago. And I could be wrong, but I feel that Chicago would be much easier for teams to travel to, considering distance and availability of transportation.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)
I would love to have it in Chicago, but like I said, Im biased. Indy is a decent city, but it also doesnt have the same appeal as Chicago. And I could be wrong, but I feel that Chicago would be much easier for teams to travel to, considering distance and availability of transportation.

I'm sure it would be.

First year though, you don't want your championship game in a snowstorm.

10 more years of CO2 emissions and you can put it at Soldier every year.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 01:56 PM)

Bleh. Indy sucks. Put it in Chicago.

Ive been told part of the reason that Indy has been getting Championships over Chicago is that the City of Indianapolis helps the Big 10 coordinate and has a dedicated office to help. Conversely Chicago makes the Big 10 do everything and isnt very helpful.

But Chicago is where the Big 10 would prefer to hold games (although United Center isnt nearly as good of a venue as Soldier Field) and I would not be surprised to see Soldier Field in a 3 year rotation for the game.

Chicago is the biggest Big 10 market and its the market you need to lock down.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
Ive been told part of the reason that Indy has been getting Championships over Chicago is that the City of Indianapolis helps the Big 10 coordinate and has a dedicated office to help. Conversely Chicago makes the Big 10 do everything and isnt very helpful.

But Chicago is where the Big 10 would prefer to hold games (although United Center isnt nearly as good of a venue as Soldier Field) and I would not be surprised to see Soldier Field in a 3 year rotation for the game.

Chicago is the biggest Big 10 market and its the market you need to lock down.

Is it really the biggest B10 market though? There is only one Big Ten team in Chicago and it has the least amount of fans of every other school in the conference.

I really like the Dome idea, at least for year 1.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 04:26 PM)
Is it really the biggest B10 market though? There is only one Big Ten team in Chicago and it has the least amount of fans of every other school in the conference.

I really like the Dome idea, at least for year 1.

There are zero in Indianapolis. The closest is an hour away.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 02:39 PM)
Iowa starting the year in the top 10. They got a good team, but hopefully they'll live up to there preseason hype!!!

You got a bullseye on your back in week 2...... ;)

But we gotta take care of the Huskies first.

Also, Indy was the obvious choice for the Big Ten championship game.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 09:47 AM)
It seems like there is disasterous flooding almost every year in the state of Iowa these days, at least in the last few years. Hopefully, to palehosefan's point, the damage isn't too bad.

This time it was due to 10-15 inches in 3 days.

• 2 weeks later...

BYU likely to become football independent, join WAC for other sports after Pac-10 expansion

After the Pac-10 expansion left BYU out in the cold, the continental divide of football in the Rocky Mountain region is continuing to shift.

It appears as if the Cougars - the keepers of LaVell Edwards' legacy - will become a football independent and will join the Western Athletic Conference in all other sports.

No official announcement is expected until Sept. 1. But WAC commissioner Karl Benson must think it's a done deal. He has already offered to help the Cougars flesh out their football schedule with games against teams in his league during the Y's first year on its own.

The decision is being portrayed in Provo as a bold, courageous move on the part of BYU AD Tom Holmoe, designed to expand the Y's profile and make the Cougars more of a national player as opposed to a team that has been relegated to a non-BCS conference while its bitter rival Utah has matriculated to the Pac-10.

Here's the Big Ten division split:

Division 1

Michigan

Michigan State

Iowa

Nebraska

Illinois

Northwestern

Division 2

Ohio State

Penn State

Wisconsin

Minnesota

Purdue

Indiana

Nice cakewalk that top division is. And it looks like OSU-Mich will no longer be played as the last regular season game. Way to completely punch tradition in the face guys.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 11:06 AM)
Here's the Big Ten division split:

Division 1

Michigan

Michigan State

Iowa

Nebraska

Illinois

Northwestern

Division 2

Ohio State

Penn State

Wisconsin

Minnesota

Purdue

Indiana

Nice cakewalk that top division is. And it looks like OSU-Mich will no longer be played as the last regular season game. Way to completely punch tradition in the face guys.

It will be played as the Big Ten championship instead.