Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

I think you have to switch Wisconsin to division 1.

Something like Wisconsin for Illinois, NU or MSU. (The below alignment moves 2 teams from each division. Wisconsin and Minnesota to Division 1, Michigan and MSU to Division 2)

I actually think the easiest way would be to move Michigan to Division 2, but it seems that people in the Big 10 believe that Michigan will be good some day.

If I had to align Id go:

Division 1

Wisconsin

Minnesota

Iowa

Nebraska

Illinois

Northwestern

Division 2

Ohio State

Penn State

Michigan

Michigan State

Purdue

Indiana

This alignment makes far more sense geographically and competitively.

OSU is the best Big 10 team. Any division they go to will have the top team.

PSU could go to division 2 and replace them with Iowa/Wisconsin in Division 1, but are they that much better than those 2 teams to completely disrupt geography?

My alignment keeps Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Nebraska together. These schools either have traditions, or are likely to form them due to geographic proximity.

All schools in the same state are in the same division.

I think my alignment may come to pass, because I think Michigan and OSU have the power to prevent the split, add in that Alvarez will fight tooth and nail to make sure he stays with Nebraska, Iowa.

At least I hope that they split it my way, otherwise youre going to see a lot of

Iowa- OSU championship games.

Michigan is the past, Rodriquez killed the program.

Edited by Soxbadger

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 11:06 AM)
Here's the Big Ten division split:

Division 1

Michigan

Michigan State

Iowa

Nebraska

Illinois

Northwestern

Division 2

Ohio State

Penn State

Wisconsin

Minnesota

Purdue

Indiana

Nice cakewalk that top division is. And it looks like OSU-Mich will no longer be played as the last regular season game. Way to completely punch tradition in the face guys.

Is that really the planned split??? I can't believe that.

Its just speculation.

The word on Wisconsin boards is that Iowa/Wisconsin are definitely split. Which is why people are starting to guess that if OSU/UM are split, then Nebraska/PSU will be split.

I think there are different ways that this can pan out, but for the sake of parity I think the top 3 need to be split.

Thus youve got ideas like OSU/PSU/Wisconsin but I think thats far tougher than UM/Nebraska/Iowa

The only remotely fair way to split them would involve OSU/Nebraska/v UM/PSU/, then put Wisconsin and Iowa into one of the 2.

In those scenarios there is not a dominant division. OSU/PSU/Wisconsin is putting 3 of the top 4 Big 10 schools in 1 conference. On the idea that Nebraska and UM will be as good as they once were.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 12:42 PM)
IMO, you dont split UM/OSU. That game just means too much to those fans. Unless they are planning on having that game as an extra conference game.

I'm sure they'll still do UM/OSU. I did read that they want to do it earlier in the year that way there's still a chance that they can play in the championship game.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 12:53 PM)
I'm sure they'll still do UM/OSU. I did read that they want to do it earlier in the year that way there's still a chance that they can play in the championship game.

I've read that too. The ACC did the same thing with Miami/FSU, they still play each other, but can play in the championship game too. After 5 years, FSU has been once, UM never.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 01:59 PM)
I've read that too. The ACC did the same thing with Miami/FSU, they still play each other, but can play in the championship game too. After 5 years, FSU has been once, UM never.

But I think everyone might feel like it'll lose something if it's not late-November.

Even in crappy seasons, the Oaken bucket game in Late November was something to look forwards to for the school I care about.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 12:53 PM)

Right, it wont be the last game, which is the whole point. Plus they may play twice a year which also kills The Game. Sucks IMO.

So not that I had any expectations for Illinois football anyways but the defensive backfield could be a f***ing disaster this year since there are rumors Terry Hawthorne has a stress fracture which means that Illinois has lost 2 starting safeties (Sanni and Aikens) and a starting CB in the last 2 weeks.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 11:32 AM)
So not that I had any expectations for Illinois football anyways but the defensive backfield could be a f***ing disaster this year since there are rumors Terry Hawthorne has a stress fracture which means that Illinois has lost 2 starting safeties (Sanni and Aikens) and a starting CB in the last 2 weeks.

You are just setting up excuses for a Week 2 loss. :P

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 12:44 PM)
Gonna need several excuses for several losses.

The only person who needs excuses are Zook and Co., the majority of Illinois fans know this year is gonna be crap, anything positive is welcome but really its gonna be a long year.

Edited by bigruss22

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 11:38 AM)
You are just setting up excuses for a Week 2 loss. :P

It wouldn't surprise me in the least. A top-5 Div 1-AA team vs. a bottom top-5 Div. 1-A school. Why not???

I don't even know if I'm gonna watch the Mizzou game Saturday. I'm just waiting for Nov. 8, b-ball season starts again.

So from everything im reading tonight the Big 10 will announce divisions split as follows:

- Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern and Minnesota.

- Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana and Illinois.

Or as I will refer to them:

Man's League: Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana and Illinois.

Juniors: -Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern and Minnesota.

Not sure why this is a competitive split. Outside of Iowa, the Juniors have to rely on Michigan becoming relevant again and Nebraska being as good as Wisconsin/PSU on a consistent basis.

If it was me, I would have figured out the top 6 programs, and then split them. OSU is clearly #1, after that its murky but I think the next 3 are PSU, Iowa and Wisconsin (in no order). You then put Michigan and Nebraska in opposite divisions and youve got a good mix.

Oh well I guess the road to the Big 10 Championship goes through Columbus. Fortunately Wisconsin has done better against OSU than most teams, but I have a feeling that most PSU, OSU and Wisconsin fans are going to be displeased with the split. Where as I expect Iowa, Nebraska fans are counting down the days.