Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 09:24 PM)
Iowa State (-4.5) vs. NIU tomorrow. Should be fun. Apparently, though, ISU student season ticket sales are down 30%.

That line has been jumping a lot the past day or so. If it gets back down to 4 then I might take a run with ISU.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 01:43 AM)
730 cant come soon enough.

I've been listening to In the Air Tonight non stop for the past hour(the song is played during warm-ups for Miami home games).

That was being played at the Panthers game last week when I was on the field. I wanted to put some pads on and get out there.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 10:11 PM)
That's meatball "if the bears go 2-14 and they beat the packers, it's awesome" talk that I know you don't truly believe Rock, you're way better than that as a sports fan. There's no way OSU fans are happy if that happens.

I'm not underestimating the matchup - but what I'm saying is that if Michigan turns into a mediocre program, the rivalry won't exist. It's not a rivalry when one team never wins. But I think we both believe they'll get back to a good to great program, similar to where Nebraska is back to, and the game will still have huge meaning and the conferences will be pretty fair, all things considered.

They won't keep them for basketball, don't need it. If they did though, MSU would house their division, they may not even lose a game in the division some years.

Krush I know its hard to believe, but thats really the case. Thats how important the rivalry is to the fanbase. It doesnt even come close to Bears vs Packers or Sox vs Cubs, not even in the same universe.

And it will never NOT be a rivalry just because of one teams streak. There have been streaks before and there will be again, thats the beauty of the history of The Game.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 04:41 PM)
Well its going to be the case of teams in one division beating up each other perhaps. It really makes zero sense to me the way they split it. You have 3 out of the 4 top programs on one side while the other IMO has only one real good program. Michigan is a ways off from being relevant again and the others are second tier teams. Is the split necessary in basketball? Because then its even more lopsided.

Ohio State is better than everyone in the conference right now.

Iowa, Nebraska, and Michigan are all capable of being better than PSU and Wisconsin from season to season. And other seasons the other 2 are capable of being better. However, Nebraska and Michigan both have the ability to be better than PSU and Wisconsion long-term and Iowa/Wisconsin are very similar programs.

While Ohio State is the best school in the conference, the lesser tier teams in there division aren't quite as good as the lesser tier teams in the other division. In general, I tend to think this is one of the fairer splits they could have done, however, I wouldn't be lying if I didn't think Iowa didn't get a good advantage.

However, Iowa playing Purdue just makes no sense as our rivalry game. Iowa/Wisconsin is a far bigger rivalry (albeit it would make our schedule tougher)

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)
Rock, you're thinking too short term. I think they looked at more of a history of the programs. Yeah Michigan isn't very good right now, but they will likely be back over the long haul. And if they aren't, who the heck cares about the Michigan/OSU protection thing anyways. Clearly by people worrying about that matchup, people think Michigan will get back to where they were, and soon. Otherwise that game turns irrelevant.

You have traditional powers on each side (OSU/PSU, Mich/Neb)

You have two middle/good guys (Wisc/Pur, Iowa/MSU)

You have two...s***ty programs (ILL/IU, NU/Min)

Well said.

I wouldn't be lying if I didn't think Iowa didn't get a good advantage.

However, Iowa playing Purdue just makes no sense as our rivalry game. Iowa/Wisconsin is a far bigger rivalry (albeit it would make our schedule tougher)

The team with the biggest gripe is Wisconsin so of course im part of the group that is displeased. Every day of the week Id trade with Iowa to be in UM/Nebraska's division, I dont care how great Michigan was, they aint what they used to be. And when push comes to shove Id say OSU is going to stay stronger than them in the future.

Nebraska v PSU is a toss up. Nebraska hasnt been great for a while and while they have been solid, theyve been in the weaker Big 12 North. Im not just going to say they are better than Iowa/PSU/Wisconsin until they actually play Big 10 games. PSU has the aging Paterno, so its hard to tell what will happen when he eventually retires.

Basically Wisconsin was put in the tougher division, lost one of its biggest rivals Iowa and did not even get the Nebraska rivalry they asked for.

For the screw job Wisconsin gets to play Nebraska in Madison for Nebraska's first Big 10 game.

Im sure most Wisconsin fans would have been much happier with just a small change, something like Minnesota being in the same division as Wisconsin therefore Iowa became the protected rivalry.

But Wisconsin basically got nothing they wanted.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 10:07 AM)
The team with the biggest gripe is Wisconsin so of course im part of the group that is displeased. Every day of the week Id trade with Iowa to be in UM/Nebraska's division, I dont care how great Michigan was, they aint what they used to be. And when push comes to shove Id say OSU is going to stay stronger than them in the future.

Nebraska v PSU is a toss up. Nebraska hasnt been great for a while and while they have been solid, theyve been in the weaker Big 12 North. Im not just going to say they are better than Iowa/PSU/Wisconsin until they actually play Big 10 games. PSU has the aging Paterno, so its hard to tell what will happen when he eventually retires.

Basically Wisconsin was put in the tougher division, lost one of its biggest rivals Iowa and did not even get the Nebraska rivalry they asked for.

For the screw job Wisconsin gets to play Nebraska in Madison for Nebraska's first Big 10 game.

Im sure most Wisconsin fans would have been much happier with just a small change, something like Minnesota being in the same division as Wisconsin therefore Iowa became the protected rivalry.

But Wisconsin basically got nothing they wanted.

As a pure fan of football, I would have really loved it if the Iowa/Wisconsin rivalry continued. Iowa would than be able to still have its rivalries with Minnesota and Wisconsin intact, plus they get to establish a new rivalry with Nebraska (which should be a great one). But I guess as we lose the Wisconsin rivalry (or at least the annual portion of it), we at least add what should be an intriguing Nebraska rivalry.

Clearly from a scheduling standpoint, the fact that Ohio State plays Michigan every year where as Iowa will play Purdue every year (as opposed to Wisconson) I supposed it is an advantage to us (from the pure overall record standpoint) but I like playing good teams and watching good games (even if it diminishes my teams shot at necessarily having a dominant record).

The good thing is Iowa/Wisconsin should remain as strong teams and at least both of our college football programs were shown a lot of respect to be basically annoited as top tier programs in the conference (along with PSU/Nebraska/Michgian/OSU). Clearly we don't compare with OSU, but whose to say that Iowa/Wisconsin can't be better than the rest of that group on an annual long-term basis.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 10:29 PM)
That line has been jumping a lot the past day or so. If it gets back down to 4 then I might take a run with ISU.

I thought about playing this game. Went with Minnesota -1 instead. Hopefully Dasher being out for Middle Tennessee helps the Gophers take the victory.

QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 05:52 PM)
I thought about playing this game. Went with Minnesota -1 instead. Hopefully Dasher being out for Middle Tennessee helps the Gophers take the victory.

Is there a reliable online site to place bets? I've never bet online before but it interests me.

QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 06:52 PM)

Nice win for ya there. Congrats

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 09:46 PM)
I wish NFL and college would change the whole timeout .1 before the ball is snapped rule. It's just stupid. Once everyone's set and the ref puts the ball in play, there should be no more timeouts in those situations.

It's ridiculous. That first one in this game was just nutty, heard no whistle, seemed to be no indication or anything.

Well I immediately noticed the clock was still at :03, so I had a feeling that happened even though you couldn't see or hear anything, and then no one looked like they were prepping for overtime.

I hate situations where a kick is off and it doesn't count for anything, whether it was good or not. It's not exciting by any means. It's stupid, anti climatic and confusing, at best.