trade for Livian Hernandez

dasox24

In Peter Gammons' latest article, he says that the Sox might trade for Livian Hernandez of the Expos. Here's part of his article:

"One very available starter is 10-game winner Livan Hernandez, whose vesting option for $6 million in 2004 is about to kick in. Thus far, Omar Minaya hasn't been able to move Hernandez, although there are voices in the Red Sox and White Sox camps that think that an innings starter who wins 12-15 games annually is worth the $6 million."

I am wondering what other people would think if this trade happened. Personally, I only see it happening if we get the Expos to take on most/all of Hernandez's salary. And, if they did take on Hernandez's salary, then I'd still only give up a mid-level prospect at most. Would a combination of Josh Stewart and Dylan Holt work?

fogg and wells havent done much for the pirates but i wish we also wouldnt have made that trade..it might be a good move to pick up livan because he has experience pitching in the world series and other big games(hopefully he will pitch like his florida form)...but i dont know if his attitude will carry over to well with the team since we already have guys who get angry very easily

No thanx, I hate that guy's attitude and he pisses me off for some reason.

I'd much rather have Vazquez, but I heard hes untouchable at this point.

Vazquez aint going anywhere..and this is just for the 5th starting spot and Hernandez is a hell of an upgrade than,um..Porzio(NOPE!) Wright(NOPE) We got nobdoy else..Suppan would look better though..

He can eat a lot of innings, but there's no way I'd take the chunk of that salary. We've got Loaiza locked up for next season as well as Buehrle and Garland. There's no way we need to pay $6 mil next year for Livan Hernandez. The best he's ever going to pitch was back in the World Series in 1997 and he'll be lucky to win 15 games again in the majors in my opinion.

Josh Fogg and Kip Wells would look good in White Sox uniforms right now, wouldn't they? KW might have traded away the pennant with that move.

Would they? Yes and no.

I'd love to have those two in the starting rotation right now, and not have had to go through the Toad Ritchie phase. However, had we not traded those two, do we have Colon/Alomar/Everett? That's my main question.

Would they?  Yes and no.

I'd love to have those two in the starting rotation right now, and not have had to go through the Toad Ritchie phase.  However, had we not traded those two, do we have Colon/Alomar/Everett?  That's my main question.

Josh Fogg isn't really doing much if you've paid attention lately.

Would they?  Yes and no.

I'd love to have those two in the starting rotation right now, and not have had to go through the Toad Ritchie phase.  However, had we not traded those two, do we have Colon/Alomar/Everett?  That's my main question.

Josh Fogg isn't really doing much if you've paid attention lately.

Probably not.

Have you seen our 5th starter? If I'm counting correctly, it's somewhere around 2 combined wins from that spot by the starters(one from Stewart, one from Porzio). I'm sure Fogg has done a hell of a lot more then that.

I bet the pirates had wished they hadn't traded Damaso Marte.  I'll take Loiaza and Colon over Fogg and Wells.

I was just going back to how horrible that Ritchie trade was. Wells would be a great #5 starter, Fogg could really help in the bullpen, also from what they paid Ritchie and what these 2 make they'd have an extra $1 -1.5 million in the bank to go after even more help. The Marte trade was great, but the Ritchie trade made no sense. Wells had just as many wins as he did the previous season, was younger, and a lot cheaper. Fogg was pretty effective out of the bullpen for the Sox in 2001. I do need to get over it.

I was just going back to how horrible that Ritchie trade was. Wells would be a great #5 starter, Fogg could really help in the bullpen, also from what they paid Ritchie and what these 2 make they'd have an extra $1 -1.5 million in the bank to go after even more help. The Marte trade was great, but the Ritchie trade made no sense. Wells had just as many wins as he did the previous season, was younger, and a lot cheaper. Fogg was pretty effective out of the bullpen for the Sox in 2001. I do need to get over it.

I don't think those 2 guys would have been here anyway. They would probaly have been the pitchers traded for colon.

Why would you want to trade Konerko for a pitcher that no one else is going to offer more than a mid-level prospect for?

Why would you want to trade Konerko period?

He is finally starting to come around.

Yes he is coming around, I just don't think he will be much more than a .250 hitter with 20 homers and 80RBIs. He had his big year and now I think he will start to decline every year. I think if we can trade him this year when he still has a little value would be better than waiting and maybe not having any trade value.

Maybe I went a little far in saying that I would except a trade for Livan using Paul, but I think he is on a decline and we need to trade him now.