Lyle Overbay?

Kenny Hates Prospects

MLBTradeRumors has a link up saying the Blue Jays may be close to signing Cuban 1B Jose Julio Ruiz. If the Jays sign Ruiz, then Overbay, who IMO is already a realistic option for us, should become even more available.

What about a Kotsay + prospect for Overbay deal? Overbay has one year remaining at $7M and the Sox were rumored to have offered at least $6M for Damon, so there's money available. I imagine just sending Kotsay and offering to pick up the $5.5M difference would be enough for the Jays to make a deal without getting anyone too significant in return as far as prospects go.

If we picked up Overbay, we'd get a lefty stick to break up all those righties in the middle, plus we'd improve defensively at 1B over Paulie, who could DH most of the time. Andruw Jones would still get playing time as a 4th OF and occasional DH.

Johnny Damon, 36

Career: .288/.355/.439/.794

2009: .282/.365/.489/.854

Lyle Overbay, 33

Career: .279/.363/.449/.812

2009: .265/.372/.466/.838

Damon brings speed on the basepaths + SB. Lyle brings the ability to actually play the field.

If we could get Overbay essentially for Kotsay and some no-namer, then sign me the f*** up please.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 02:59 PM)
I didn't know his OBP was quite that good. I dunno if he's 7 mil good, but as long as the price isn't too steep, I'd say go for it.

I agree, he's not $7M good, he's a bad contract. But so is Kotsay, and Overbay's a better fit than anyone left out there. If we either swapped Kotsay for him and/or offered the Jays a couple halfway decent prospects to eat salary, then we'd pretty much replace Damon at less than we offered Damon. That might not give us a lot of wiggle room, but a couple million extra could go a long ways toward a midseason acquisition, so we wouldn't be shooting our wad.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 02:37 PM)
MLBTradeRumors has a link up saying the Blue Jays may be close to signing Cuban 1B Jose Julio Ruiz. If the Jays sign Ruiz, then Overbay, who IMO is already a realistic option for us, should become even more available.

What about a Kotsay + prospect for Overbay deal? Overbay has one year remaining at $7M and the Sox were rumored to have offered at least $6M for Damon, so there's money available. I imagine just sending Kotsay and offering to pick up the $5.5M difference would be enough for the Jays to make a deal without getting anyone too significant in return as far as prospects go.

If we picked up Overbay, we'd get a lefty stick to break up all those righties in the middle, plus we'd improve defensively at 1B over Paulie, who could DH most of the time. Andruw Jones would still get playing time as a 4th OF and occasional DH.

If we weren't willing to spend the money on Nick Johnson, we aren't going to trade Kotsay and a prosepct for the right to spend the same amount of money on Overbay. I just don't see KW and Guillen wanting and/or willing to do this for several reasons.

Also, they aren't just going to throw their remaining funds at just any player that upgrades the team, they are going to spend this money on a difference-maker. Whether we agree with him or not, KW probably viewed Damon as a difference maker in the lineup.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 03:04 PM)
I agree, he's not $7M good, he's a bad contract. But so is Kotsay, and Overbay's a better fit than anyone left out there. If we either swapped Kotsay for him and/or offered the Jays a couple halfway decent prospects to eat salary, then we'd pretty much replace Damon at less than we offered Damon. That might not give us a lot of wiggle room, but a couple million extra could go a long ways toward a midseason acquisition, so we wouldn't be shooting our wad.

How is Kotsay a bad contract?

Wasn't he the only one productive for a couple of weeks last year?

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 04:07 PM)

A few good weeks does not make a player good. Kotsay is a decent bench piece and 1.5 mill isnt terrible, but it could be used in better ways IMO.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 03:07 PM)

$1.5M for a light-hitting 1B/corner OF backup in this economy is a bad contract. That's what Thome got IIRC, and probably about what Dye will get. That's also more than Carrasco got despite coming off of two very good years, and it's only $500K less than what Branyan got.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 03:04 PM)
If we weren't willing to spend the money on Nick Johnson, we aren't going to trade Kotsay and a prosepct for the right to spend the same amount of money on Overbay. I just don't see KW and Guillen wanting and/or willing to do this for several reasons.

The Sox tried to get Johnson but said they didn't have enough money. Later on in the offseason suddenly this money was there. Maybe Kenny lost confidence in the Kotsay/Jones platoon? Sure sounds like it. Maybe JR isn't too confident either.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 03:04 PM)
Also, they aren't just going to throw their remaining funds at just any player that upgrades the team, they are going to spend this money on a difference-maker. Whether we agree with him or not, KW probably viewed Damon as a difference maker in the lineup.

Maybe the Sox did see Damon as a difference maker because of his speed. Speed aside though, Overbay is just as valuable to us because he's a veteran lefty bat to break up the righties. Damon BTW is a pure DH who does not belong in the field. Overbay would actually make our defense better.

And anyway, I'm just throwing this idea out there. I have no idea whether the Sox would have any interest in Overbay.

Overbay would be a nice option ...he's perennially underrated....he's getting up there in age, and 7 mil is a lot, but its not absurd...so i like your thinking

however, nobody will want mark kotsay ..so he likely wouldn't be part of the deal....

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)
$1.5M for a light-hitting 1B/corner OF backup in this economy is a bad contract. That's what Thome got IIRC, and probably about what Dye will get. That's also more than Carrasco got despite coming off of two very good years, and it's only $500K less than what Branyan got.

I know you are upset about the DH situation, so am I, but its comical to believe that $1.5M for Kotsay is a bad contract. He's a role player, he can give you good D at 1B and the corners, play CF in a pinch, a lot of experience, and a better than average bat FOR A BENCH PLAYER. That's worth $1.5M nowadays. Ross Gload, who is basically the same guy right now except worse OF defense but more speed, got $2.6M/2, which is virtually the same money. That's market value for that player.

The problem isn't the contract - the problem is he's going to be shoved into a basically starting role.

Agree that no one would want Kotsay at his contract, but the Jays will have to eat salary somehow to make a deal work with anyone, not just us. Taking back a contract and trying to get some use out of that money is generally seems to be preferable to outright eating salary, which is why I mentioned that. But yeah, if they didn't want to take on Kotsay and would rather just eat cash to open up roster space then that's cool too. Then we could just release Kotsay ourselves and eat that deal, or release Jones instead. Whatever. But we'd only need one backup OF between the two.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
I know you are upset about the DH situation, so am I, but its comical to believe that $1.5M for Kotsay is a bad contract. He's a role player, he can give you good D at 1B and the corners, play CF in a pinch, a lot of experience, and a better than average bat FOR A BENCH PLAYER. That's worth $1.5M nowadays. Ross Gload, who is basically the same guy right now except worse OF defense but more speed, got $2.6M/2, which is virtually the same money. That's market value for that player.

The problem isn't the contract - the problem is he's going to be shoved into a basically starting role.

I'll go along with this because it makes me hopeful. Maybe we'll be able to unload Kotsay then.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)
I'll go along with this because it makes me hopeful. Maybe we'll be able to unload Kotsay then.

I don't see us trading Kotsay, unless or until its for a bigger impact that Overbay (as someone else mentioned). And it may just be a release then as well, or who knows what.

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 06:07 PM)
Overbay and Downs salary dump. They pay half, we pay half. total of 11 million, each team pays 5.5 million.

I'd take that. We were gonna spend money on Damon anyhow.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 06:07 PM)
Overbay and Downs salary dump. They pay half, we pay half. total of 11 million, each team pays 5.5 million.

Why would the Blue Jays eat any of Downs' contract? He's a pretty damn good pitcher and there are plenty of teams out there who would spend $4 mill on him.