City Police Vehicles...Why the f***?...

shipps

I am sorry I appreciate our CPD but as bad as this city is in debt (and I am sure this goes for many other cities also) why the hell do they get a fleet of pimp ass Tahoes to drive around in? We couldnt have found something more efficient than some gas guzzling awesome looking Tahoes. I mean these are luxury vehicles really and they have a s*** load of them looking brand new shiny clean every day.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 09:07 AM)
I am sorry I appreciate our CPD but as bad as this city is in debt (and I am sure this goes for many other cities also) why the hell do they get a fleet of pimp ass Tahoes to drive around in? We couldnt have found something more efficient than some gas guzzling awesome looking Tahoes. I mean these are luxury vehicles really and they have a s*** load of them looking brand new shiny clean every day.

What cops need in a car is, unfortunately, not in good marriage with fuel efficiency.

You want them to use less fuel and buy fewer cars? Because I agree. The answer isn't different cars - its FEWER cars. More foot and bike patrol, fewer squad cars, in the dense urban areas. That should be the solution, IMO. And its better for a whole lot of reasons that go beyond costs as well.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 09:07 AM)

I propose they all take Tesla Roadsters. That'll cut down on fuel.

Do you repsect a Ford Pinto?

Do you respect a Chevy Tahoe?

You answer those questions, and you get the answer to your question. Cops have a psychological role in the community until action calls, and then the lights themselves matter. If they drive around in a cheap car, they won't get respect, and never will get respect.

It doesnt have to be a pinto people. Whats wrong with the Impala's that they have had throughout the years? Much cheaper and easier on gas. You guys are taking what I said and going on the other end of the spectrum instead of meeting in the middle somewhere.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 07:09 AM)
It doesnt have to be a pinto people. Whats wrong with the Impala's that they have had throughout the years? Much cheaper and easier on gas. You guys are taking what I said and going on the other end of the spectrum instead of meeting in the middle somewhere.

You just want them on unicycles with dart blowers - you hate the police!!!!

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 02:05 AM)
Do you repsect a Ford Pinto?

Do you respect a Chevy Tahoe?

You answer those questions, and you get the answer to your question. Cops have a psychological role in the community until action calls, and then the lights themselves matter. If they drive around in a cheap car, they won't get respect, and never will get respect.

If they really want more respect, they can start by not looking like slobs. That drives me nuts. Some of these CPD guys, they might as well wear a sign on their forehead that says "mess with me". There's a reason why Troopers don't get f***ed with nearly as often, and get more respect - and it isn't their cars. Its that they look like somoene you wouldn't want to mess with. They're in at least reasonably good physical shape, uniform is crisp and clean, equipment nice and shiny, and most importantly, they have command presence.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 07:09 AM)

Pretty sure I gave you a comprimise.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 11:33 AM)
Pretty sure I gave you a comprimise.

Not real big on the bike compromise. And the idea of fewer cars is at least an upgrade to what they are doing now but I do like the numbers of police we see on our streets as opposed to the other cities in the U.S. that I been too. Some of the other cities have a non existing police presence.

I will have my cake and eat it too and you cant stop me, Matt.

And critic, you are an ass. :lolhitting

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 12:33 PM)
If they really want more respect, they can start by not looking like slobs. That drives me nuts. Some of these CPD guys, they might as well wear a sign on their forehead that says "mess with me". There's a reason why Troopers don't get f***ed with nearly as often, and get more respect - and it isn't their cars. Its that they look like someone you wouldn't want to mess with. They're in at least reasonably good physical shape, uniform is crisp and clean, equipment nice and shiny, and most importantly, they have command presence.

Because they want a f***ing liter of cola?

92710170980m.jpg

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 11:33 AM)
If they really want more respect, they can start by not looking like slobs. That drives me nuts. Some of these CPD guys, they might as well wear a sign on their forehead that says "mess with me". There's a reason why Troopers don't get f***ed with nearly as often, and get more respect - and it isn't their cars. Its that they look like somoene you wouldn't want to mess with. They're in at least reasonably good physical shape, uniform is crisp and clean, equipment nice and shiny, and most importantly, they have command presence.

I don't believe you'd receive much opposition with this. Illinois State Troopers undergo the toughest academy, the most stringent of background investigations, and you'll rarely -- if ever -- hear any negative news concerning the department or its staff because there's an underlying sense of pride with the position. Physically, they need to be in great shape; if the worst were to occur, the nearest backup may be 15 minutes away. Every year a trooper has to pass a physical agility test; if they fail, they're given an opportunity to test again within a certain amount of time. Fail for a third time, the trooper risks being fired. You'll never hear the day CPD does any of the preceding points.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 02:16 PM)
Every year a trooper has to pass a physical agility test; if they fail, they're given an opportunity to test again within a certain amount of time. Fail for a third time, the trooper risks being fired. You'll never hear the day CPD does any of the preceding points.

90% of Chicago cops can't run up a single flight of stairs without stopping to take a break. now imagine if they had to take an agility test. lol

i think there is some truth to the whole psycological deal, i remember driving through states where the troopers were driving in upgraded dodge chargers. Nothing like seeing one of those guys hugging your bumper. As for driving in a tahoe? Im not quite sure, I've seen it in other cities, especially while living in NY the past 3 years. But now that im back in Chicago it makes me wonder why they would need such a heavy truck that would run out of gas before catching up to a guy thats really trying to avoid the law.

Got this from CLTV news:

"The Chicago Police Department will quadruple its fleet of gas-guzzling Chevrolet Tahoe SUVs this year -- to more than 200 -- under a contract in the works sure to please Supt. Jody Weis.

Weis has argued that the Police Department's fleet -- 36 SUVs and 2,753 sedans -- is in "horrible" condition and that SUVs make more sense to get through Chicago's winters.

Chicago Police will add more than 200 new Chevy Tahoe Police Vehicles this year.

The average beat car is 2.6 years old and has 50,622 miles on it. The average unmarked vehicle is 2.9 years old with 41,285 miles.

Buying 165 more SUVs this year may not seem like the wisest move at a time when gas prices have been going through the roof.

What do you think?"

Apparently buying a Chevy Tahoe is cheaper than buying a Crown Vic?

I can buy the "SUV's are needed for Chicago winters" argument. The bicycle patrol idea isn't reasonable IMO. Can you imagine how vulnerable a cop is riding his bicycle on Thomas and Springfield (I can name hundreds of other intersections as well, not a knock on the example I used).

QUOTE (chwhtsox @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)
I can buy the "SUV's are needed for Chicago winters" argument. The bicycle patrol idea isn't reasonable IMO. Can you imagine how vulnerable a cop is riding his bicycle on Thomas and Springfield (I can name hundreds of other intersections as well, not a knock on the example I used).

agreed..

while i do agree that SOME Chicago police officers seem to be on the "portly" side, I also understand that not much can be done about it.. Ill take the military as an example, when i first joined years ago i was envisioning a bunch of in shape bad asses that could excersize for days, but the reality of it all is, like in sports, injuries happen. Now some of us like myself have gotten injured permanently during our time in service. What happens is you go to the doc and he evaluates you over time and then declares whether you will be able to run, jump, swim, do pushups or situps, wear body armor etc, for the military ever again.. Some injuries will still allow you to do your duty and go on patrols and what not, some get you sent to units full of paper pushers. But this also creates a ton of soldiers feigning injuries to get out of work (specifically the jobs that no one else wants to get stuck doing), so guys go to the doctor, the doctor finds a little thing wrong with them and declares they shouldnt run anymore for example, so the soldier takes that and (not literally) runs with it. The whole idea behind this is for you to take time off to rest that injury and rehab yourself back into shape, but many countless soldiers use this sort of doctors note to ensure that for the rest of their careers they will never have to do any type of strenuous work, which in turn gives birth to a breed of fat soldiers.

I am not a Chicago cop, but I can imagine that they have something quite similiar with people that are quite similair. Like if an officer gets hurt on duty he can claim that it was the Chicago Police Dept. that made him injure himself since all of this happen while he was on patrol. Therefore they will not risk the officer getting injured again and not enforce any type of physical training on that specific person, some people really get hurt and take advantage of this, some people "sort" of get hurt and milk it for what its worth. I know there are people like that in this world, ive seen it all over. But unless we get a real cop to talk about this, im just talking out of my rear end and speculating based on my experience with a different employer :)

QUOTE (chwhtsox @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)

Bike patrol and foot patrol in dense urban areas are key components, and can produce great results. It puts cops in front of the community in a much more accessible way, and they get a lot more information and help. This has been studied and found to be the case. That doesn't mean you do it in every neighborhood and get rid of the cars - it means that in certain areas, bikes are great, other areas foot patrol is great, but it has to be handled by the precinct captains in where those pieces work best.

I'm also not personally a huge fan of just pouring more cops on the street to reduce crime. It often doesn't work, and in fact can be counterproductive for a variety of reasons. I'd rather have fewer, better cops.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 09:20 AM)
agreed..

while i do agree that SOME Chicago police officers seem to be on the "portly" side, I also understand that not much can be done about it.. Ill take the military as an example, when i first joined years ago i was envisioning a bunch of in shape bad asses that could excersize for days, but the reality of it all is, like in sports, injuries happen. Now some of us like myself have gotten injured permanently during our time in service. What happens is you go to the doc and he evaluates you over time and then declares whether you will be able to run, jump, swim, do pushups or situps, wear body armor etc, for the military ever again.. Some injuries will still allow you to do your duty and go on patrols and what not, some get you sent to units full of paper pushers. But this also creates a ton of soldiers feigning injuries to get out of work (specifically the jobs that no one else wants to get stuck doing), so guys go to the doctor, the doctor finds a little thing wrong with them and declares they shouldnt run anymore for example, so the soldier takes that and (not literally) runs with it. The whole idea behind this is for you to take time off to rest that injury and rehab yourself back into shape, but many countless soldiers use this sort of doctors note to ensure that for the rest of their careers they will never have to do any type of strenuous work, which in turn gives birth to a breed of fat soldiers.

I am not a Chicago cop, but I can imagine that they have something quite similiar with people that are quite similair. Like if an officer gets hurt on duty he can claim that it was the Chicago Police Dept. that made him injure himself since all of this happen while he was on patrol. Therefore they will not risk the officer getting injured again and not enforce any type of physical training on that specific person, some people really get hurt and take advantage of this, some people "sort" of get hurt and milk it for what its worth. I know there are people like that in this world, ive seen it all over. But unless we get a real cop to talk about this, im just talking out of my rear end and speculating based on my experience with a different employer :)

Injuries are the exception. And having your department, as a whole, in better physical shape, will reduce injuries anyway.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 09:24 AM)
Injuries are the exception. And having your department, as a whole, in better physical shape, will reduce injuries anyway.

I agree wholeheartedly that a daily physical training program is key if done right, also that having fewer cops of high quality is much much better than having a ton of cops of a lower quality.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
Can you imagine a city police force driving a fleet of Toyota Priuses?

One bank robber in a Corvette would tear the place apart.

Haha the Campus Police at NIU have Priuses.

QUOTE (NIUSox @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 12:24 PM)
Haha the Campus Police at NIU have Priuses.

And for a campus department, that should be fine. They don't have far to go on a call, nor are they likely to get into any pursuits of any length without help from DeKalb PD, or DSD, or the state police. They probably also don't do police custody very often either, so the local PD does the jail runs - no need for the cage most of the time. They might as well save fuel.