West Region

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Mar 18, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
OMG f*** yes!!!

I saw they took a 3 in yahoo with 12 seconds and I figured it was over.

Seems like I'm missing some damn good games, stupid work.

Dude, it was awesome. I jumped up like I hit the shot and I only picked them to win this one game.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 01:24 PM)
Tubby's leaving for Auburn after this game, according to a great source.

Other than $$$$, what does Auburn offer in basketball-wise that Minnesota doesn't??? According to CBS, he makes $1.75 mil now, and Auburn would offer $2 mil, so thats not an enormous pay raise for someone like him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)
Other than $$$$, what does Auburn offer in basketball-wise that Minnesota doesn't??? According to CBS, he makes $1.75 mil now, and Auburn would offer $2 mil, so thats not an enormous pay raise for someone like him.

No Minnesota winters? That'd be worth it to me.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 01:37 PM)

SEC seems like a lateral or even step down move to me. Especially at Auburn. Maybe if he was the football coach?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 06:33 PM)
lol. I just heard CBSsportsline reported it... YOUR SOURCE IS OUT NOW FATHOM! ;)

yeah, it was funny how I heard that on TV about 10 minutes after someone I really trust (a close friend of the GT program) reported this on a GT board. Tubby should have waited to see if Hewitt was going to leave GT, as I'm sure he would have been in play there.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 01:39 PM)
SEC seems like a lateral or even step down move to me. Especially at Auburn. Maybe if he was the football coach?

Seriously, other than Charles Barkley, has Auburn b-ball ever been relevant in anyway? Maybe the pressure at Minnesota was too much for him too, so now he's moving down to another BCS school were football will shield him completely.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 06:24 PM)
Tubby's leaving for Auburn after this game, according to a great source.

The source that started it all was Scott Pohlman, former Auburn guard. It also started on a message board. No, I don't buy it for a second, either. There was a minor report out last week on Tubby fighting for a raise. This is no more than a move to get that raise.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 12:53 PM)
Seriously, other than Charles Barkley, has Auburn b-ball ever been relevant in anyway? Maybe the pressure at Minnesota was too much for him too, so now he's moving down to another BCS school were football will shield him completely.

When has Minnesota been relevant in basketball? I know Auburn isn't the big time or anything, but let's not pretend that the Gophers are a destination.

my guess is its about recruiting...i would imagine its significantly easier to convince kids to go to a warm weather school than minnesota...though its not as big of a deal as in football or baseball

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 07:07 PM)
my guess is its about recruiting...i would imagine its significantly easier to convince kids to go to a warm weather school than minnesota...though its not as big of a deal as in football or baseball

Auburn has a very small recruiting base for basketball, as most of the guys they get are from Georgia. BTW, my source heard this from a current recruit of Auburn's, so it sounds like it's more than just an internet rumor.

It was initially reported on a website called fvsports.com yesterday morning. A glorified blog. Sounds like Tubby is just looking to get a raise, and that's it. Auburn may be looking at him, but they have yet to make any move.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 01:38 PM)
No Minnesota winters? That'd be worth it to me.

No Minnesota winters, plus the SEC isn't all that hard to win in at the game of basketball since it's not that good at it, even with Kentucky back until Calipari gets caught cheating again. Additionally, the upper midwest does produce some good basketball players out of HS, but it's not really a fertile, natural recruting ground.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 05:33 PM)
No Minnesota winters, plus the SEC isn't all that hard to win in at the game of basketball since it's not that good at it, even with Kentucky back until Calipari gets caught cheating again. Additionally, the upper midwest does produce some good basketball players out of HS, but it's not really a fertile, natural recruting ground.

It's not like the Big 10 is that great either. But the SEC West sucks plus a new arena opening up next season makes Auburn look more attractive.

Tubby isn't going anywhere. How long is it going to be until these rumors end?

It's a shame that we couldn't make anything, but that was fun regardless. It's not often that someone gets to watch their team in person in the tournament, so I'm glad I had the opportunity to do it while a student. Obviously it sucks that we lost, but I wasn't expecting us to win, so I'm not too broke up about it.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 12:29 AM)
Tubby isn't going anywhere. How long is it going to be until these rumors end?

It's a shame that we couldn't make anything, but that was fun regardless. It's not often that someone gets to watch their team in person in the tournament, so I'm glad I had the opportunity to do it while a student. Obviously it sucks that we lost, but I wasn't expecting us to win, so I'm not too broke up about it.

Oh sweet, I forgot you went. How was it?

It was fun. We had a block of seats for students in the upper level for the first session, so it was good to be surrounded by maroon and gold. We started the game standing (like any good students would at a college basketball game), but security came by and told us that the NCAA has a rule against standing (bulls***), essentially threatening to throw us out if we didn't sit down. Still, it was a lot of fun to actually see it in person.. probably the only opportunity I'll have in my life to do it. Pretty damn convenient that the game was in Milwaukee.