Criteria for winning a Gold Glove:

1) Have you won this award before?

Committee members love to take the easy route and just give the award to a player who already won it before. It is a safe pick for them because they think it justifies their pick if that person has already won it previously.

2) Do you have a nice fielding percentage?

F% is the easiest fielding stat for a casual fan to understand. The committee feels if they award it to someone who has a great F%, then most fans can agree with it because it's the only stat they look at for fielding. The more knowledgeable fans who use things like UZR150, RngR, or even Range Factor and Zone Rating know the obvious faults in using F%.

3) Do you put up good offensive numbers?

Most of you are probably saying, "What the hell do offensive stats have to do with a gold glove". My answer to this is "Exactly". If you are a good offensive player, then there is a much higher chance that you are a somewhat popular player, and less likely to be questioned if he wins the gold glove. If you are a pitcher winning the award, then you are probably a good pitcher as well. The committee does not want to give a gold glove to a guy who hits .220 with 3 home runs and a .280 OBP. But if you think about it, if this player is just an offensive liability, then he is more than likely plays pretty good defense or else he would not be in the league.

4) Do you make flashy plays?

Home runs are sexy, and so are flashy plays. Without naming anyone specific, there is a certain player who makes Webgems a lot because of his flashy plays. Most people remember a player's defense for the special plays they make in the field. Because this certain player makes a lot of these cool looking plays, people get the false sense that he is a great defensive player. This, however, is not true at all. All the defensive metrics prove that he is historically below average on defense, with an occasional good season sprinkled in here and there, yet he continues to win gold gloves. This then gives people the reassurance that "Wow, he really MUST be a great defensive player if he makes all the those great plays and then wins a gold glove". This just fuels the problem, and loops back into the previous 3 points I talked about.

There you have it. The secret formula for handing out gold gloves. These 4 ideas are also ranked of importance on this list. #1 is the most heavily weighted factor in their decision, while #4 is the last thing considered. All 4 are important to their decision, but some less so than others.

Times when a Gold Glove Award IS deserved:

Now, this is not 100% in all cases, but more often than not, when a player wins the gold glove for the first or second time, he is generally deserving of this award. Winning the award for the first time means that factor #1 is completely void, thus making the chances that the award is deserved much, much higher. However, after a player wins 2 or 3 times, the award generally becomes automatic again, given that that player does not have a really bad year, or a different player has an exceptional year and falls into categories #2, #3, and #4.

Refer back to this note next fall when the gold gloves are handed out again, and you will not be surprised.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 03:09 PM)

Committee members love to take the easy route and just give the award to a player who already won it before. It is a safe pick for them because they think it justifies their pick if that person has already won it previously.

F% is the easiest fielding stat for a casual fan to understand. The committee feels if they award it to someone who has a great F%, then most fans can agree with it because it's the only stat they look at for fielding. The more knowledgeable fans who use things like UZR150, RngR, or even Range Factor and Zone Rating know the obvious faults in using F%.

Most of you are probably saying, "What the hell do offensive stats have to do with a gold glove". My answer to this is "Exactly". If you are a good offensive player, then there is a much higher chance that you are a somewhat popular player, and less likely to be questioned if he wins the gold glove. If you are a pitcher winning the award, then you are probably a good pitcher as well. The committee does not want to give a gold glove to a guy who hits .220 with 3 home runs and a .280 OBP. But if you think about it, if this player is just an offensive liability, then he is more than likely plays pretty good defense or else he would not be in the league.

Home runs are sexy, and so are flashy plays. Without naming anyone specific, there is a certain player who makes Webgems a lot because of his flashy plays. Most people remember a player's defense for the special plays they make in the field. Because this certain player makes a lot of these cool looking plays, people get the false sense that he is a great defensive player. This, however, is not true at all. All the defensive metrics prove that he is historically below average on defense, with an occasional good season sprinkled in here and there, yet he continues to win gold gloves. This then gives people the reassurance that "Wow, he really MUST be a great defensive player if he makes all the those great plays and then wins a gold glove". This just fuels the problem, and loops back into the previous 3 points I talked about.

There you have it. The secret formula for handing out gold gloves. These 4 ideas are also ranked of importance on this list. #1 is the most heavily weighted factor in their decision, while #4 is the last thing considered. All 4 are important to their decision, but some less so than others.

Now, this is not 100% in all cases, but more often than not, when a player wins the gold glove for the first or second time, he is generally deserving of this award. Winning the award for the first time means that factor #1 is completely void, thus making the chances that the award is deserved much, much higher. However, after a player wins 2 or 3 times, the award generally becomes automatic again, given that that player does not have a really bad year, or a different player has an exceptional year and falls into categories #2, #3, and #4.

Refer back to this note next fall when the gold gloves are handed out again, and you will not be surprised.

Officially gave up on the GG after "Death to all things flying" didn't win one. They mean absolutely nothing to me.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 04:29 PM)
Officially gave up on the GG after "Death to all things flying" didn't win one. They mean absolutely nothing to me.

That is what inspired me to write this. I was talking to my friend about how overrated Ichiro's spring training catch was, and how bad he probably felt when he won a GG last year, and Gutierrez did not.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 04:09 PM)

Is the unnamed player Torii?

Which is why more knowledgeable fans look at the fielding bible more so now-a-days. I'll say this.. Buehrle finally won one, so there is hope for pitchers not to mention they do get at least one or two right (position wise) per year. (Longoria/Zimmerman)

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 05:39 PM)
Which is why more knowledgeable fans look at the fielding bible more so now-a-days. I'll say this.. Buehrle finally won one, so there is hope for pitchers not to mention they do get at least one or two right (position wise) per year. (Longoria/Zimmerman)

Because he threw a perfect game.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 05:32 PM)
Jeter. But yes, Torri fits that as well.

Torri does make nice catches though. It's not his range that's bad, it's his arm.

That's why his UZR is usually mediocre.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 05:45 PM)
Torri does make nice catches though. It's not his range that's bad, it's his arm.

That's why his UZR is usually mediocre.

IIRC, he make bad reads on balls that are not hit deep. I remember in a playoff game, I think vs. the A's, he made a dive attempt on a ball he came in on, missed it by like 2 feet, and the batter got an inside-the-park HR.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 05:57 PM)
IIRC, he make bad reads on balls that are not hit deep. I remember in a playoff game, I think vs. the A's, he made a dive attempt on a ball he came in on, missed it by like 2 feet, and the batter got an inside-the-park HR.

He's had some terrible years if you look at UZR and some not so terrible ones. He's just a mediocre fielder IMO regardless of what reads he really gets. The guy can make plays look nice, but some of those catches are easily made by Andruw Jones in his prime. He was once in the same tier Andruw, but those days are long gone.

I personally think that Hunter's the perfect example of your criteria #4.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 06:47 PM)
Alexei might win one even though he kind of sucks as a SS, based on the criteria written.

I agree. I mean, Jeter will eventually lose his lifetime contract with the GG. Alexei has a pretty decent bat, makes a lot of flashy plays. He just needs to have a solid F%, and he should be in very good contention.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 07:06 PM)
UZR doesn't take into account a player's arm.

Hehe.

I've had some people run into this one.

It does, for outfielders.

There's a component named ARM in UZR (at least the version on FanGraphs).

Hunter's arm has been negative since like 2004 and it ain't pretty.

So while Juan Pierre is perceived to have a crappy arm, his range actually makes up for it a lot.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 06:47 PM)
Alexei might win one even though he kind of sucks as a SS, based on the criteria written.

Alexei actually has good range though (+4.1), that's the thing. He just screws up routine plays, which shows up in his error runs (-1.8).

Jeter's range is horrific (until this past year).

So yeah, indeed, if Alexei gets his fielding% up, he'll get a gold glove and actually be a good defensive SS.

As for White Sox winning it, it was sad to see Crede never get one, even when he was better than Chavez.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 07:09 PM)
Didn't Hunter have a big drop-off the last couple of years?

His last decent season was 2005. His last great one was 2003. His greatness on defense didn't last all that long.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 09:41 PM)
Alexei actually has good range though (+4.1), that's the thing. He just screws up routine plays, which shows up in his error runs (-1.8).

Jeter's range is horrific (until this past year).

So yeah, indeed, if Alexei gets his fielding% up, he'll get a gold glove and actually be a good defensive SS.

As for White Sox winning it, it was sad to see Crede never get one, even when he was better than Chavez.

Once Jeter stops winning them, the future of gold gloves in the SS position should be headed towards Texas every season.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 09:46 PM)
His last decent season was 2005. His last great one was 2003. His greatness on defense didn't last all that long.

And in 2005, Hunter only played 93 games in CF, and only 98 games on the season, and still won it. Not nearly as bad as Palmeiro's 28 game effort that won him the award, but 93 games is barely half a season.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 11:23 PM)
Once Jeter stops winning them, the future of gold gloves in the SS position should be headed towards Texas every season.

People around the league love Andrus way too much not to.