Kenny Williams is Calling for a Blackout for Opening Day

whtsox13

I dunno about this; I was at the Blackout game and it was amazing. Not sure if it would have the same effect during a day game. Plus opening day I like everybody being able to choose which jersey they're gonna wear.

I may end up caving but I'd rather we didn't do this.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh I guess Ill go against the majority and say I see no problem.

I think KW is trying to say that opening day sets the tone for the season, and why not set a good tone? Sure blackout games are better on must win playoff type atmospheres, but you gotta win games to get in that position.

Games in April count just as much as games in September.

I guess it comes down to supporting the team, if your GM asks you to do something, do you answer the call?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 1, 2010 -> 03:17 PM)
Eh I guess Ill go against the majority and say I see no problem.

I think KW is trying to say that opening day sets the tone for the season, and why not set a good tone? Sure blackout games are better on must win playoff type atmospheres, but you gotta win games to get in that position.

Games in April count just as much as games in September.

I guess it comes down to supporting the team, if your GM asks you to do something, do you answer the call?

You should for the exact purpose stated. Again, set the tone of the season, start off strong.

Debating whether or not the Opening Day Blackout is a good idea or not is perfectly fine. But the bottom line has to be if you are attending the game, whether or not you like the Blackout idea, WEAR BLACK! The people who run the team have asked fans to do it. If everyone does it it's going to look awesome and really may set a tone for the start of the season. If people don't do it, it's going to look bad. But if the players come out on Opening Day and the place is rockin' and everyone's wearing black it may actually get them going. I'll be there and I'll be wearing black. Go Sox!!!

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 11:33 AM)
Fine, I'll wear the black jersey then! ^_^ [grumbles]

I really think we should save this for playoffs though--keep it special.

I would probably agree with you that you want to save this for special occasions. But the more I think about it, isn't Opening Day special? How long have all of us been waiting for Monday to come? A long time for me. Monday's pretty special. Let's do what the Sox have asked of us and black that game out!

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 3, 2010 -> 12:03 AM)
looking more like a rain-out than a blackout

Man that would be awful for me. If the game is not until Tuesday, I won't be able to see it because of A) Being at school B ) Being on the radio and C) Producing a tv show. :angry: Having no school on Monday was perfect timing, I don't even want to think about having to miss opening day. :(

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

I'll give Brooks Boyer some credit. He said today that if it was up to him, he wouldn't be doing the blackout for opening day. This is all Kenny on his own.

It'll look bad for a couple reasons-- day game and short sleeve shirts. It looked better at night and everyone was wearing black jackets and sweatshirts.

I'll be wearing my black jersey because I like my black jersey.. if that happens to be a part of the "blackout," awesome. If it's just a bunch of people wearing black and some wearing white.. atleast the majority is in team colors, there to support the White Sox on the greatest day of the year, Opening day.

I don't think they wanted it to happen, the didn't really market it at all. I think KW just said it and someone in the organization told him no, and it was never marketed. If I was not on this website I would have had no idea about it.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 06:07 PM)
I'm glad it failed, and will probably squash future attempts on opening day.

There was one Blackout Game, and that was September 30, 2008. Stop trying to duplicate it because it will never be as good.

Thats not even true.

The playoffs were considered a "rolling blackout".

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/2008/10/w...ind-john-danks/

John Danks pitched 6-2/3 innings in today’s game against the Tampa Bay Rays in another blackout at U.S. Cellular Field.

But Im glad that people are standing up to management and not supporting the team.

/shrugs

If you dont want to be part of the blackout or support the team, that is fine, but really what are you gaining by being defiant?

Lets not support the White Sox winning! Who cares if we win opening day!

Its just silly.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 07:28 PM)
Thats not even true.

The playoffs were considered a "rolling blackout".

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/2008/10/w...ind-john-danks/

But Im glad that people are standing up to management and not supporting the team.

/shrugs

If you dont want to be part of the blackout or support the team, that is fine, but really what are you gaining by being defiant?

Its just silly.

Very true. I don't get the point of NOT doing it. Are you being a rebel against your own team? It didn't look too bad on tv because alot of people ended up wearing black, but then a ton of people ended up wearing white as well which are our colors. I still think if our GM calls for a blackout, you answer the call.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 07:28 PM)

/shrugs

Its just silly.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 07:51 PM)
I still think if our GM calls for a blackout, you answer the call.

UGH! Why is it paying fans who are clearly at the game to enjoy baseball and support their team need to be told how to show their support? Further, what would make an intelligent educated person think that the attire of the fans in the stands has any impact on the outcome of the game? Do you think Ozzie and the players looked out and were saddened to see so many fans defying the GM? Did it make it difficult to focus on the game?

The blackouts in 2008 were cool, but it is not like wearing any other color on Monday would have caused a loss. In fact, the Sox looked better today than they did throughout the playoffs in 2008. Maybe we should do away with blackouts altogether.

Soxbadger:

I'm aware of the rolling blackout in the 08 playoffs, but my point is that the first and original was in a class by itself. I was at the Game 163 Blackout, and I didn't support the rolling blackout at the time because it was just too special to water it down with it again.

As far as "supporting the team" or whatever, of course I love the White Sox otherwise I wouldn't post on a message board about them. I just don't think it works when it's warm out or daytime. If I was going to a playoff game when it's 50 degrees, yes I would wear black. But regular season, warm weather baseball, I don't want people telling me what to wear to a baseball game.